Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Florida Vs. Massachusetts certification

Hello, I am currently in fire school in central Florida(EMT portion). As of now I plan to get certified here in Florida and eventually go back to my hometown in Massachusetts. I am wondering if anyone has gone through this process and/or knows if massachusetts will accept a florida certification. Basically I would like to know if any additional training is needed and if there is any other requirements needed to get hired before I go through fire 1 and fire 2 and find out that they don't accept the certification.

MembersZone Subscriber

No Direct Reciprocity per se.
    You would need to become a member of the Massachusetts Fire Service and take the challenge exam. There are options for other methods but this is the easiest to use. For more info. go to Mass.Gov and search for the MFA or Dept of Fire Services pages.

Forum Member

It's a good thing this so-called "nationally" recognized certification system has worked out so well.

And folks, why is it so important that, according to some, we train our members for tier "next" department that it it's out of state, in many cases the certs won't transfer?

MembersZone Subscriber

This is the process if out of state coming to MA.

I'm a certified firefighter in another state. What do I have to do to get recognized as a certified firefighter in Massachusetts?

To be certified to any level in the Commonwealth an individual must successfully complete the appropriate evaluation process. Fire service personnel certified in other states are not automatically certified in the Commonwealth. In some cases, individuals certified in other states are allowed to use that certification to satisfy a prerequisite in the Commonwealth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    It's a good thing this so-called "nationally" recognized certification system has worked out so well.
    There's a difference between being a "nationally recognized certification" and a "national certification". Firefighter 1 & 2 may be recognized nationally, but they are still just state certifications.

And folks, why is it so important that, according to some, we train our members for tier "next" department that it it's out of state, in many cases the certs won't transfer?
    Since you still don't get it, that discussion was not about training people for their "next" department. It was about having "standardized" entry level training. Fire certifications are State issued certifications. As such, the curriculum will include information regarding a wide array of things, some of which may not be fully applicable or relevant for all jurisdictions.

You state your area doesn't have standpipe systems, so you don't train your people on them. You may think doing so is a waste of time, which very well may be the case for your department for in-house training and that's fine. However, I'm sure there are standpipes in your state, so it would be appropriate for this topic to be included in the curriculum for a state-wide certification program.

Forum Member

Yes, LA FF1 includes standpipes and sprinklers.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    There is a nationally recognized certification process. Itís called the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC). But that doesnít grant automatic certification from another state or agency. The agency that issued your certificate and the agency you are attempting to become certified with must be members of IFSAC, and you would still be required to apply for reciprocity. Not all states and/or agencies are members of IFSAC, which could be a reason itís not working so well.
    Last edited by CrnkB8; 06-09-2009 at 07:49 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down And...........

This is probably my zillionth comment on this subject, but here you are:

This Country has a National Standards Group, It's wayyyyy past time for EVERY State to be told to join the process, or be shut out of Federal Funds. The National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications offers certification to any State Fire Training Agency, provided said Training Agency adheres to the NFPA Standards for each specific course offering. Every State should be REQUIRED to be part of this system..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    This is probably my zillionth comment on this subject, but here you are:

This Country has a National Standards Group, It's wayyyyy past time for EVERY State to be told to join the process, or be shut out of Federal Funds. The National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications offers certification to any State Fire Training Agency, provided said Training Agency adheres to the NFPA Standards for each specific course offering. Every State should be REQUIRED to be part of this system..........
    I agree 100%
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information