Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Senior Engine Companies Fire/EMS Departments

First I would like to start by saying that I believe that the senior guys should be able to ride the engines and go on fewer calls.

But, we were at a fire last night and we are starting to notice a pretty scary tend in our area. Our engine crew was two guys with about 15 years experience, one with about 8 and a captain with close to 20. All guys were under 41 and in good shape. The other departments tend to put all the older guys on the engine instead of the squads so that they can g on less calls. I completely understand that EMS is the bulk of our calls. That logic makes sense.

What we were noticing was that since these engine crews were so much older, are we really doing a disservice to not only the people that we serve, but to the firefighters and their families as well? In reality, these guys move slower, and tend to not be as aggressive as may need be in order to get in and get out.

Some sort of compromise needs to be made. The main concern was that are we going to be killing more firefighters by sending the older guys to all of the fires? This is not a rant about "I want to play too". This is purely a safety concern.

In an all fire only department, everyone has to go to work at fires. In combination departments, there are other options for older guys to be able to be put in a less physical role....sometimes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Does your department have age restrictions for hiring and a pension structure designed to address this issue?
    FTM-PTB

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

To me it is simple, either you can do all of the job, in your job description, or you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post

Some sort of compromise needs to be made. See below. This is not a rant about "I want to play too". Yes it is. This is purely a safety concern. No, you are using "safety" as a disguse for your immaturity and displeasure at being at the bottom of the food chain.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    If you are really THAT concerned about it, instead of coming on here, why don't you write a letter to your Chief and Union President?? I Bet you don't have the testicular fortitude to place this drivel in writing with your name on it for all in your department to see. If it really IS a "safety concern", then you should not be afraid. So put up or shut up, ride the damn squad and earn your bones, junior. Now get back in the kitchen and finish the dishes.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

your engines go on few calls? thats suprising

Thread Information