Forum Member

Default Antique Firetruck Heaven.....

Is located just off of Route 17 in Middletown, New York, in Orange County. Mr Andy Leider, a prominent New York Attorney, is an avid (the understatement of the world...) collector of all kinds of apparatus. He also collects antique heavy-duty snowplows and construction equipment. His collection is kept in a large warehouse in Middletown, as well as another location close by. The Catskill Firecats hold their annual Fire Muster at Mr. Leider's warehouse, which I attended today. If you are an antique apparatus enthusiast, you have to make it here at least once in your life. This was my second time. When I saw the Crown Firecoach I *almost* got down on my knees and prayed. Here are a few links to various news articles about Mr. Leider, and then some photos that I took today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1unWuqfGUU

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...0314/-1/COMM01

http://www.1strespondernews.com/webp...2-6219f9c230dd

I have to belive that the Aerialscope shown in the first picture (on a C Model Mack chassis with an Eaton boom has to be one of the first ones ever built.....
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 05-31-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Buff,I put out some feelers on that missing firetruck.To date,no hits from the spies. T.c.

Forum Member

....Little FWDbuffs pose in front of an ex-USAF Oshkosh P-15, the largest firetruck ever built. 81 of these were made for the USAF.

...The 1971 Crown Firecoach. Not everything from California sucks! What a beautiful truck, only the second one I have ever seen on the east coast. (Driven here by the owner, a retired City of Fresno FF.)

And what I believe to be my most favorite truck in the entire collection, a 1937 Ahrens-Fox sedan-cab front mount piston pumper, ex Pawtucket RI.

Forum Member

An "S" Model Maxim Tiller,

ex-FDNY 305 Engine,

looking up a row of trucks inside the warehouse,

A fully restored Walter Snowfighter,

and a shot of apparatus outside.

Forum Member

TC- One of the spies e-mailed me. He is on it, and is working all of his informants, hehehehehe.....

Forum Member

That is AMAZING!!!

I thought our collection was a good size.

Forum Member

love those crowns. local dept used to have one.

** photo courtesy of crownfirecoachent & Bill Hattersley

Forum Member

Here is a link to another forum with some more old trucks. And a open cab Mack Aerialscope. Don't have to worry about any raised roof or even a flat roof when swing the scope over the cab for low angle movements.

http://www.nassaufdrant.com/forum/fi...yard-2691.html

Forum Member

Tower412, this is the same group of trucks that are mentioned in the link posted, all are in this group which are parked out back in this "boneyard" including the open cab scope, and the C-Model tiller (ex-FDNY.) All parked too close together to be able to get good pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Thanks Buff for the info about where those trucks are with the others that you had posted about. To bad they couldn't get them inside or trap all the other trucks up to at least keep some of the weather of them a little more.

On a side note I know where my company's old snorkel is and it is just across the board/Delaware river in pa from jersey. The town had sold it to a junk yard here in jersey that is in jersey city area they paid about $2,100.00. The guy that has it now bought it from them for around $13,000.00. I was luck to get to ride, drive, and operate this truck before we retired it. And had the luck of being one of three guys to go on a call with it. Sure miss it. Could never her the guy screaming in your ear right next to your ear trying to talk to you when going full throttle to a call. It was super load. You could her it pull out of the firehouse on a still night at my house which is 10 blocks away.
    Here is a pic of the 1973 75' Snorkel sorry for the photo have to track down better ones that I my have:

And the only other thing is about 8 years ago two guys that live in up state New York showed up to my fire house when I wasn't there and they told the other guys that they have or old open cab ALF 700(?) pumper. I got to talk to the one of owner's of it and tried to get them to come do with it for one of our parades but never happened. I found out about a year ago on another forum that one of the owner's had passed away. But wasn't able to get any more info about the where abouts of the ALF. I would have liked to have seen this truck but it was gone way before I was born.
    Here is a pic of the 1953 ALF 700(?):
    Last edited by TOWER412; 06-08-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Forum Member

I do believe that is the very first whitewalled firetruck I have ever seen!

Forum Member

That photo is from when they made the ALF the spare rig in town and put the Snorkel into service. The guys in the company wanted white walls but no one made them so they painted them on. And the tire sales rep had seen it and came to the guys and said that they have to take the paint of because that is not how the tires come. Needless to say the guys told him to go **** off. The truck does look good with it being like that. Here is another photo again with the white wall paint on tires on the truck with allot more white. This is a in service photo:
    Last edited by TOWER412; 06-08-2009 at 09:08 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Fire Apparatus Collection

FWD Buff:
    Amazing collection of apparatus! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Forum Member

So is this place open to the public yet? I read all the articles about it a few years ago when this guy started collecting and they said he was gonna open a museum. To be honest it looks like disney world for firemen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by challenger818 View Post
    So is this place open to the public yet? I read all the articles about it a few years ago when this guy started collecting and they said he was gonna open a museum. To be honest it looks like disney world for firemen.
    No, it is not open to the public at this time. The owner is currently negotiating land development and building permits with the local municipality. Plans do call for it being open to the public in the future.

Hi Guys,

The Crown you mention above is F-1627, and is actually a 1970, not a '71. I can tell you that because it is owned by me, my Dad, and brother. We had it at the Catskills event last June.

Forum Member

Hey Marco, what a pleasure it was talking with your Dad. If my two heathens weren't so restless, I would have stayed and talked to him all afternoon. I don't know if you remember or not, but we actually met at the Pa. State Parade in Conshohocken 3 years ago, I was the guy with the FWD 2 or 3 trucks ahead of you in the judging line.

Forum Member

Thanks FWD for the pics and links. Those are sexier than what is out there today.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

the bottom picture in the first set you posted looks like some Peter Pirsch's. I love the look of those trucks.

Forum Member

Simply amazing. What an unbelieveable collection of trucks!! I could spend the rest of my life just tinkering around with those and cleaning them up.

If I were to walk in a warehouse like that, without prior knowledge of what was in there, I would have to assume that I had passed on and was taken to the place that suited me best!

Kinda makes me wish I was an attorney.
    Last edited by fpvfd502; 10-27-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Assistant Chief

Forum Member

I'm so jelous!!!

Thread Information