Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Please Donít do this!

I often heard and read information from candidates and I think and say, ďPlease donít.Ē

Here are a few recent examples:

A candidate told me they had whittled down the objective on their resume from four paragraphs to one. The one was still way to long. I asked why? Well, I think itís a really good way for them to get to know me better.

Please donít

Understand we really donít have a lot of time to read resumes and seldom look at the objective.

Another candidate asked me if it was a good idea to give out note pads and pens to the panel members when he walked into the room so they could take notes for him.

Uh, Please donít

A candidate who wanted to get on as a volunteer because this department hired most of their rookies from the volunteers was turning himself inside out getting to all the stations on all shifts taking advantage of every opportunity for face time.

The volunteer training officer told him the guys thought he was intense but they were going to give him a shot as a volunteer. He then proceeds to set up SCBA and other training with the individual stations. I asked him why? Here again I want them to know about who I really am.

He said his previous job and training was in journalism and the way to get a story is to ask lots of questions. He was starting out asking a lot of questions at his first volunteer trainings classes.

Please donít

You want to remain invisible to those that are watching you. Your actions will speak for you. All ears and no mouth.

I get a call from an agency with volunteers asking if I knew this new volunteer. Yep, well someone needs to tell this recruit to keep their mouth shut. Coming into stations trying to impress the firefighters. I had a friend call the recruit who then called me. Why are you doing this? Here again, I want them to really get to know me. Iíve schedule several ride alongs. How many? Fourteen.

Please donít. Stop now.

A candidate recently showed our son Rob and me his resume. It was over 35 pages in plastic dividers in a heavy leather binder. It had a resume profile on the inside cover, cover letter, several pages of a resume, certs, pictures of his academy and the wedding and honeymoon photos. We asked him why???? He said I wanted to let the panel really know about me. Rob and I looked at each other and broke out laughing with who cares?

Many candidates think they need to include resume profiles of their strengths or career profiles on their resumes. Here are a couple of examples from resumes sent to me for review:

Strengths: Performs effectively within group atmosphere. Continuously strives for improvement by education and work experience.

OR:

Career Profile: An experienced Firefighter whose professional responsibilities expanded his knowledge in the areas of fire suppression, emergency medical service, rescue, hazardous material, public relations, public education, fire prevention, and decision making. Qualified by:

1. A proven record of success with progressively increasing responsibilities based upon experience, knowledge, and superior work performance.
    2. Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work effectively with individuals in all levels.
    3. Excellent communication and time-management skills and abilities.
    4. The ability to remain calm and utilize deductive reasoning in critical and demanding situations.
    5. Committed t promoting a positive public image of the fire service.
    yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah

The first thing I do when I see these types of statements is line them out and write, "Who Cares?" Understand the board doesn't! Candidates who put these on their resumes tend to be anal. This is the type of resume material that belongs on a regular job interview resume. Not a firefighter resume. We don't have time to look at this mindless garbage and it takes away from the stuff you really want us to read.

I'm a one-page resume guy. Don't give me a book.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

CaptBob,

Do all oral boards require a resume?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    CaptBob, Do all oral boards require a resume?
    Not all departments accept resumes. Some departments donít let the raters see your name or application. Youíre just a number.

If youíre invited to an oral board they might tell you that they will be accepting resumes. If in doubt call HR and ask them. Follow the instructions. If they tell you resumes arenít being accepted that means donít bring one to your interview no matter what anyone else tells you. Iíve heard from candidates that even though they werenít accepting resumes their already firefighter friends told them to bring and present a resume anyway because it would make them stand out. It did, but not in a way they werenít expecting.

If they are accepting resumes, donít even think that you can go into an interview and hand over your resume for the job panel to review on the spot. This upsets the normal flow of the interview. Be sure to FedEx or hand deliver a hard copy of enough copies of your resume to human resources before the interview. Having your resume printed out on special resume paper will give it that special touch. Don't fax it.

More on resumes here: http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I get a few calls a month from people wanting to know if they should call or send a thank you note to the people that sat on their interview panel. Please donít.

Also people who were told the results would be out in two weeks and it's been three ask, "Should I call and see what is going on"? Please don't. Very few departments get test results out on time, entry level or for a B/C test.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    I get a few calls a month from people wanting to know if they should call or send a thank you note to the people that sat on their interview panel. Please donít.
    I'd like to hear some other opinions on this one. I've always been told you should send a thank you letter following any interview, regardless of the industry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donedeal View Post
    I'd like to hear some other opinions on this one. I've always been told you should send a thank you letter following any interview, regardless of the industry.
    The firefighter interview can't be compared to any other industry. That's one of the problems with entry level firefighter candidates have trying to use regular job and corporate interview skills. More on the differences of regular compared to fire interviews here: http://www.eatstress.com/new_page_2.htm

Like Rob, I donít believe in thank you letters. Often panel members are not from the department youíre testing for and itís hard for panel members to remember the candidates. The decisions can already be made before you can lick the stamp to mail your thank you letter. If it will make you feel and sleep better go ahead and send them.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess the fact that the WT is non-existent will give rise to more of this blatant advertising that was stopped before.

And yes, it will give rise to more of my efforts to stop it.

You do not have to pat anything to get a FF job. Hundreds of thousands-perhaps millions-of FF have been hired w/o any help from cap'n bobby and jr. Do not waste your money. Find local resources to help you. They are there if you look.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

George, you're getting soft. I was really looking forward to you refering to them as "Capt Bob and his Spawn".
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    George, you're getting soft. I was really looking forward to you refering to them as "Capt Bob and his Spawn".
    I usually save that for the third or fourth post.

Forum Member

I dont know, bob says some stuff that makes sense.

Forum Member

On occasion, along with his e-business card at the end of every statement for free advertising. Of course, he also says some things that make no sense or are of questionable practice... also with his e-business card attached.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    I dont know, bob says some stuff that makes sense.
    So does the village idiot every once in awhile.

Forum Member

As far as the thank you note, I don't understand how this could hurt.

I have only been to one interview, but there were two members from the Fire and Police Commission, which is a voluntary position. Maybe it won't get you hired, but isn't it just good practice to show some appreciation after these people took the time, and some volunteered their time, to invite you into their station and offer you an interview?

Forum Member

Default Thank You

Latron....If you feel you send a thank you to certain individuals....then by all means send them. It doesn't hurt to send them...but you have to understand that sometimes they never reach the people who should be getting them.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Permanently Removed

If you just completed a CHIEF'S ORAL, then I would do a thank you note. If its the first oral board, no.

Forum Member

Default Preentation

In all reality you have to make a high enough score in the body of your presentation for your oral board that is going to stun the panel into considering you before you leave the room. Instantly delivering, faxing or mailing thank you letters is not going to all of a sudden put the brakes on with those making the decisions whoís going forward to give you a second look. It just doesnít happen that way. If you think that way you probably still believe in the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny and still leave out milk and cookies for Santa.

The problem is too many candidates donít have their stuff in place before they walk into the room. Often itís a huge error that tanks their score. For some theyíre closer than they realize and only a few adjustments could make the difference.

Again, If it will make you feel and sleep better go ahead and send them.

Forum Member

Default Thank you!!

Captain Bob....It's just a thank you. If a candidate feels he/she wants to send a thank you letter to those who were on the board...I see no reason to do so. However you and I know that in some cases they never reach those individuals. The plus here is the candidate feels he/she has done their duty and sent a thank you letter off. There is NO chance that it will change their score as it is totaled after they leave the room....but the candidate will feel better.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Please Don't...keep posting this garbage. Seriously, this is a forum and not free advertising. You play on the emotions of young, eager, and impressionable people who are just dying to get a fire career started all in the name of a quick buck for you.
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Capt Bob and his offspring are two of the non-existant webteam's protected children of the forum. Capt Bob allegedly writes articles so they let him do whatever he wants in the forum. I have that in writing from the WT last year. I don't know what was more amazing, that or the fact that the WT actually responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Non Existant Webteam's private message to me

Capt. Bob is a contributor of ours so we allow him to to post and put up his business info. He is not compensated for his articles so that is why we allow him to do so.

Some people find his advise useful. Some do not. That is all based on opinion.

Thank you, Webteam

Forum Member

Default Is that a problem??

Look it's their web site ....their rules....nobody forces you to click to Bob or Robs' web site.....soooooooo....get over it and turn the page.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontvilleFire39 View Post
    Please Don't...keep posting this garbage. Seriously, this is a forum and not free advertising. You play on the emotions of young, eager, and impressionable people who are just dying to get a fire career started all in the name of a quick buck for you.

It is those same ďyoung, eager, and impressionable peopleĒ that have sent all of the testimonials listed on our web sites. You may choose not to look at our sites which is your right, but I got three calls yesterday from people that were ecstatic that they had received job offers, one had three. All of them said it was our products that made the difference, their words not mine. I think these people would have been hired some day, I just helped them speed up the process. I can't get someone a job that isn't qualified, but I can help them get hired 5 or 10 tests quicker.

With hundreds of people buying our products each years and as many as a hundred receiving private coaching per year, you would think if we were taking advantage of people they would be vocal about it. But we offer a 100% money back guarantee on all goods and services, so how would that be taking advantage? Never has someone asked for their money back, after over 600 coaching sessions. That should say something.

With competition getting stiffer and fewer jobs available, the services we offer are what are helping those young people dying to get into the fire service their chance. But if you think we are just advertising, I guess I should thank you for continuing to add posts to this thread and keep it at the top for more people to read.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330
    Last edited by FFighterRob; 06-10-2009 at 07:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    It is those same ďyoung, eager, and impressionable peopleĒ that have sent all of the testimonials listed on our web sites. You may choose not to look at our sites which is your right, but I got three calls yesterday from people that were ecstatic that they had received job offers, one had three. All of them said it was our products that made the difference, their words not mine. I think these people would have been hired some day, I just helped them speed up the process. I can't get someone a job that isn't qualified, but I can help them get hired 5 or 10 tests quicker.

With hundreds of people buying our products each years and as many as a hundred receiving private coaching per year, you would think if we were taking advantage of people they would be vocal about it. But we offer a 100% money back guarantee on all goods and services, so how would that be taking advantage? Never has someone asked for their money back, after over 600 coaching sessions. That should say something.

With competition getting stiffer and fewer jobs available, the services we offer are what are helping those young people dying to get into the fire service their chance. But if you think we are just advertising, I guess I should thank you for continuing to add posts to this thread and keep it at the top for more people to read.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330
    Please junior, spare us. If your testimonials were genuine, you would have the identity of the alleged person writing them posted as well. You don't. As such they have zero validity. Most business, especially one that such a high (alleged) success rate as yours, would post those references rather prominently.

You and the cap'n have made a living off of taking advantage, as well as taking the money, from kids so desperate to get the job they have always dreamed of that they would sell their soul to the devil. I know two things for certain.

1. Hundreds of thousands of fire fighters have been hired without any help from you.

2. It is a statistical certainty that a large number of people who have purchased your snake oil have not been hired.

As for you guys out there looking to get on, there are plenty of free resources out there that are just as helpful as these two. These resources also will not condone lying or other types of unethical behavior like these two have done in the past. Remember, the person getting you the job is YOU. You do not have to buy books, CD's, videos, DVD's or whatever else these two are selling.

I am now certain that the two of you will go running to the WT, just like you did before, and have me banned for exposing you. Bring it on, spawn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Please junior, spare us. If your testimonials were genuine, you would have the identity of the alleged person writing them posted as well. You don't. As such they have zero validity. Most business, especially one that such a high (alleged) success rate as yours, would post those references rather prominently.

You and the cap'n have made a living off of taking advantage, as well as taking the money, from kids so desperate to get the job they have always dreamed of that they would sell their soul to the devil. I know two things for certain.

1. Hundreds of thousands of fire fighters have been hired without any help from you.

2. It is a statistical certainty that a large number of people who have purchased your snake oil have not been hired.

As for you guys out there looking to get on, there are plenty of free resources out there that are just as helpful as these two. These resources also will not condone lying or other types of unethical behavior like these two have done in the past. Remember, the person getting you the job is YOU. You do not have to buy books, CD's, videos, DVD's or whatever else these two are selling.

I am now certain that the two of you will go running to the WT, just like you did before, and have me banned for exposing you. Bring it on, spawn.
    Do you need a hug? You're bitter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Azreal View Post
    Do you need a hug? You're bitter.
    Not bitter at all. I know how much some folks want to get on a FD and it bothers me like crazy to see them taken advantage of.

Permanently Removed

I can give my REAL, honest story here.

Captain Bob sent me a FREE copy of his promotional CD. Twice I have listened to it enroute to the Captain hiring process and twice I have done better than expected.

It was just one tool in my box. It didnt get me hired or promise a magic badge. It did help me fortify a few needed areas.

Hope this helps either way,

Bou

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information