Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Fire Dogs: Where are you all at?

Ive seen a lot of questions about "becoming a firefighter" in the military, I would like to hear about some "success" stories from firefighters already in the military! Im a younger troop, serving a tour out here in Iraq, Crash Fire Rescue! So all ya'll deployed overseas, or have been deployed, or just have cool stories, LETS HERE 'EM! All you younger guys that may have questions about ANYTHING im learnin myself, ask away!!

Forum Member

how do you like it so far? And how long did it take you to get in the program? AF? army? navy?

Forum Member

i reset a record ~130 panels in less than 72 hrs before.

sat on a base in Kyrgyzstan... drank way over my 2 a day limit, met some amazing danish AF girls, put a fuel baldder fire out out next to a huge row of tents... while hangin with the danish girls off duty (drinking my beers), got yelled at by my supervisor for not wearing my PPE and putting a fire out while drinking a beer, recieved a coin from a two star the next day!

Ohhhh... and the danish gals loved me for it

Quote Originally Posted by iraqfirefghtr View Post
    Ive seen a lot of questions about "becoming a firefighter" in the military, I would like to hear about some "success" stories from firefighters already in the military! Im a younger troop, serving a tour out here in Iraq, Crash Fire Rescue! So all ya'll deployed overseas, or have been deployed, or just have cool stories, LETS HERE 'EM! All you younger guys that may have questions about ANYTHING im learnin myself, ask away!!
    What base ya at?.. a buddy from my unit just got to Iraq..

-Damien

Air Force fire dawg...

Forum Member

Howdy been in the AF for ten years all of them as a 3e7. I'm down here at goodfellow so if you went through BLK IV in the last 4 years you proably heard me yellin. If you guys want to know anything I can to help let me know.

Forum Member

hey tex, in those 10 years, how much experience do you bring to those kids going through block 4?

Forum Member

Shredddin,
    I try to make it as realistic as I can with propane and smoke oil but can only do so much without class A burners. My background is mostly in structural and rescue work. I have worked crash but only on a limited basis. I will be honest and say for most DOD installations it is feast or famine, some bases run a heavy call loads and others hardly any. I have spent time at both types of bases and would say I have done my fare share of station work but have run more calls then some of my pears. I would also like to say that training all branches of service, DOD civilians and foreign nationals we don't get the time to spent on teaching tactics but on a certain set of skills that has been deemed necessary by higher command. We are required to tech 100% of line items for IFSAC. I also try to get some of the kids to realize that life overseas is not what their expecting.

Forum Member

what do you mean by the overseas comment? I had a blast overseas and learned alot more than i would have a *most* stateside bases. the only disadvantage is lack of mutual aid. (btw, im not trying to come off as critical, im just curious)

Forum Member

Dont get me wrong I think deployments are where the best times come from. I mean that I get students that belive that they will never deploy or that living conditions are the same as stateside. I get students that still think that ff dont deploy or they wont deploy until they get their 5 level. I really get kids that are upset when they learn they could be in Iraq or that N. Koera may one day attack their base in the south. I had one studnet who got made when I said she would have to take leave to go home for a friends wedding. I will say that seprations from the family can be hard but I am looking forward to getting out of Goodfellow and back to the real world.

Forum Member

Just meant that some of my students don't think they will deploy. Many don't even realize that Iraq and Astan as well as all our other locations are going to impact their lives. One student started to cry when he found out that going to Kunsan was still considered a potential war zone. This guy had no clue that N. Korea was a threat. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff these kids think.

Thread Information