Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default CHS Medical-anyone heard of them?

http://www.chsmedical.com/careers.html#

Search under "international".

Forum Member

Last edited by infusion; 06-14-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Ya I worked on a site that they were at and one of our guys went to work for them. They don't hire many EMTs but mainly Paras and RNs. Their pay is about 105 a year. I know when he got ready to get shipped out he had some issues with them, and they tried to screw everyone one their pay to prove to the gov that they could work for less but that only lasted one pay.Seems like a pretty easly gig.

Default I applied and did not go.

i was chosen to go overseas, but my passport had not come in yet. They told
    me what I wanted to hear, then gave me alot of bull. Told me maybee next time if they got the next contract. any further contact medic82942003@yahoo.com for the scoop.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default do not waste your time with these people

Unless you have a security clearance and meet all requirements do not bother with these people. I also applied and received an email saying i had a job, filled out the security document for clearance, and sent it to them.

A few days went by heard nothing so i called them, and they gave the job to someone who had a clearance.

They obviously do not want to go through the paperwork on anyone they do not have to. What surprised me is the email told me i had the job, and then, i had to call to find out I didn't get it after all.

Do not waste your time here

MembersZone Subscriber

I was offered jobs in Iraq and Afghan which I turned down. The pay is on the lower end of ok for a combat zone, but the leave rotation doesn't seem to be comparable to other companies. Most companies offer 4 months on 1 month off rotation. The last I heard CHS was offering 6 months on 1 month off. The annual salary is low but they try to make it up by giving 6 and 12 month bonuses. I personally would rather have my monthly salary higher as opposed to bonuses. Ive heard from colleagues that worked for them that they have issues getting people out for leave on time, mostly due to a lack of replacement coverage. Last I heard whether you have an active clearance or not they still make you go through all the paperwork and interview. Ive heard this can take a couple weeks of sitting in Fla. to get accomplished. This seems unusual since most companies would verify your clearance in JPASS and take it over. Another thing I have seen is they use multiple recruiting agencies, and they all have quoted different salaries, so be careful.

I started the process beginning in June and by their pace. I finally finished the process by July and was told that all positions were filled. Like others I received an email basically saying I was hired. Thankfully I did not put in my two week notice yet because my company does like a two week notice and will immediately let you go. However, I am not too bitter because I really was not ready to go over yet but was told that I may go in Sept. due to possible contract extension. I asked why then did they pay for my physicals and security clearance only to be told I was not going anywhere and they could not answer. I only went by their pace and could not go any faster.

Being just a Basic limits my offers. I was recruited by YOH and it is funny that I had to tell them to stop misleading people with false numbers. The salary offered was just under 65k but this is for Kuwait.

As far as leave, my contract said every 4 months I would get the standard 10 days. I been through all this stuff before so I am used to it. No company is perfect but if you been through this before with anyone who has a DoD contract then you understand a lot of this is a numbers game.

If they ask me to go in Sept. I will but I can understand your frustrations. Just remember that what someone says may not be the true way it is. Hell if I believed all the negative comments about WSI, I never would have went but looking back it was one of the best things I ever done. Sure I could talk bad about the negatives but the positives outweigh them.

Default CHS Employment in Kuwait

A strong word of caution to anyone considering signing a contract with CHS for Kuwaiti employment.
    01. If you have other options, exercise them!
    02. The Foreign Service Agreement (FSA) that you will sign is worthless.
    03. The compensation is NOT TAX FREE, you still have to pay taxes.
    04. Almost everything that you are told while processing at the Cape is false.
    05. You must take the company insurance, American health insurance is not
    accepted in Kuwait.
    06. You have to pay for all of your food, even when you are working on base,
    nothing is free and Kuwait is very expensive.
    07. If you get injured while doing mandatory physical training you will not be
    covered by “workers compensation.” (See number 5) you will be compelled
    to pay for all medical treatment prior to services being rendered.
    08. You will be living off base in one of two apartment complexes in a suburb
    called “Mahboulah” this area is unsavory at best and NO SECURITY is
    provided for your safety.
    09. Onsite management is unqualified to handle the task at hand.
    10. Promotions are based on popularity, not qualifications, past performance
    or experience.
    11. For you whackers looking to hitch a ride on a army helicopter. Don’t!
    12. After 60 days….
    13. No Ambulances.
    14. No protocols.
    15. No equipment.
    16. No tasking.
    17. No patient care.
    18. No Kidding!
    19. Look for another job, STAY AWAY FROM CHS!

Default CHS from someone who is actually here

Ok, I wanted to address a lot of the information that everyone is sharing here about CHS. I am one of the first paramedics to be hired for the Iraq project and I am one of the first to arrive in Iraq from CHS.
    First let me tell you about me. I have been a paramedic for about 15 years. I have worked on training contracts for the Army, but this is my first deployed contract. At the begining I was frustrated about all the problems that were happening and I bitched as loud as everyone else. Now I know that the nature of contracts is that they are al messed up. You need to go into them expecting the worst and if it is better, well then you will be thrilled.
    So, first of all. When we first got hired we were stuck in Florida for months. Why were we stuck? The Army kept messing up our clearences. So we waited and waited. Everyone bitched(me included) But CHS paid us a decent salary, gave each of us a suite in a nice hotel, paid us a per deim for food, and gave us a rent a car. There was a lot of confusion, but most of the confusion had to do with the Army and the primary contract jerking CHS around. Since I have been around the contract world for a year now, I know this is par for the course with ALL contracts. None of them run smoothly.
    Several people mentioned about getting a job offer that went nowhere. CHS gave me and everyone else a conditional offer that was based on passing a physical and obtaining a clearence. A lot of folks who look at going into overseas contract work have financial problems which is the prime motivator to take a job like this. But, if you have a bankrupcy within 10 years or a high debt to income ratio, you will be denied a interim clearence. You can still get an actual clearence, but the full clearence takes up to a year to get. You can't expect the company to hold the spot for a year while you wait for your clearence to go thru. Also, the clearence process costs the company something like 10K to put thru. They would be hard pressed to go ahead with your clearence if you have a bankrupcy or high debt. I also know that a lot of people hav been disqualified due to the physical. You have to remember that the job offer in contingent on passing those. CHS is continuing the hiring process while you go through the clearence and physical. A lot of folks think that since they have an offer they can take as long as they like to get the physical and clearence paperwork done. Hiring his based on first come frist served based on having all clearences completed.
    In one of the posts someone mentioned the salary is not tax free. That is completely untrue....sort of. The tax free staus is based on the IRS, not CHS. The IRS rule is that in a 365 day period of time, you can only be in the US for 30 days. Next, you are only tax free up to about 90K. States do not honor the IRS tax free status. So if your state charges income tax, you will have to pay state income tax. Next, if you don't want CHS to take out federal taxes, you need to complete and submit to payroll an IRS 673 form. That form is requesting that your employer not take out taxes. If you do not submit the farm, taxes will be taken out and you will have to get them back from the IRS when you file your return. If you work overseas for 6 months and you quit or leave the contract and return to the US, you will have to pay taxes on the money earned overseas because you were not out of the country long enough. So you will have to pay all the taxes that would otherwise have been with held.
    Although I am not in Kuwait, I have heard a lot of the rumblings going on there. I am sure everything seems messed up. I think that it isn't any more messed up than any of the other contracts. You have to remember that the realities on the ground change almost daily. SOme are due to CHS, some are due to the Army changing, others are due to the primary contract changing. Some of the problems are due to fights that brew between CHS, the Amry, and the primary contract. All these things make life more difficult, but that is the way these contracts work. If you were to hear the complaints from the employees of ITT, Dyncorp, WSI, KBR, EODT, SOC, GOR Group, etc, no one would ever take a contract job. They are all messed up, but the enviornment is messed up. Guys, this is a war zone and nothing goes like planned. You have to remember why you are here. You are here to help the US mission, you are here for something a little different or more exciting that what you were doing back home, and you are here for the money. Don't let that leave your sights. There are lots of guys here that have been working contracts for 5+ years straight. Those guys are able to last that long because they have good stress coping capabilities. They let the problems roll of their back. The way I look at it is that i get a decent paycheck (almost tax free) every two weeks, my housing and food is paid for, the job is interesting and really easy. I go to the gym every day and have causght up with a lot of reading. When I am done here I will go back to the States debt free with a good amount of money banked and an interesting experience under my belt all with the knowledge that I was part of the OIF mission.
    Do we have supply line problems? Yes. Do we have problems with management? Yes. Are these problems worse than the problems I had with my department back home? Yes. But I am not home. If I had these problems back home at a career deparment I would go out of my mind because I know I would have to deal with them for years until retirement. Here, you never have to worry about these problems for more than a year at a time. That is my two cents.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Its the way they offer you a job and then not get it

I hear what your saying, but CHS offers you a job, then doesn't call you again.

They need to stop that. My email was an offer, I sent them the security info they needed for clearance and never heard back.

If they didn't offer the job in advance, that's one thing, but it was an offer.

That's the problem with them. They should tell you we will look at the clearance info and get back to you with a decision. Not offer it and then go with someone else they see has a clearance already.

I had to call them to find out they gave the job to someone else, thats crap!!

There is no defending a company that operates this way. and from what i see here on this site , they have done this many times.

Forum Member

Default Chs Medical The Facts

CHS HAS NO Iraq, Afghanistan, or Saudi Arabian Contract!!!! NONE the had two 6 month sub contracts, 1 in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan, but guess what THE WERE DROPPED BY BOTH THE MAIN CONTRACT AND THE ARMY!!! And the red crescent of Saudi Arabia has already awarded the Saudi contract to a Saudi company!!!
    ***Its bait and switch method they use to fill in there failed, understaffed, 4 MONTH SUB CONTRACT in Kuwait. The Army and CSA have already said officially that CHS will not be extended any contract!!! However in the mean time CHS can bill the main contractor holder CSA for each and every employee they staff during there remaining time left on the contract. After the temporary SUB CONTRACT expires the ARMY will resume operations, until a different company can take over, THUS WE ALL GET LAID OFF!!! PER THE ARMY AND CSA NOT ONE CHS EMPLOYEE WILL BE RE HIRED OR ABSORBED.
    AND that sign on bonus they promise you, WILL NOT BE PAID! – Were still waiting on our end of contract bonus from our last contract, they are refusing to pay it, NOT 1 PENNY!!!
    THEY TOOK AWAY OUR SIGN ON BONUS FOR THIS SUN CONTRACT–THEY HAVENT PAID OUR END OF CONTRACT BONUS
    THEY REDUCED OUR SALARY!!! ALL this happens after you get to Kuwait!!!!
    DON’T TAKE ANY JOB WITH CHS,
    WE WORK 6x’s 24 hour SHIFTS PER WEEK, even though our CONTRACT STATES 3 SHIFTS PER WEEK
    With NO OVER TIME, NO PER DIEM, NO MEALS, NO EXTRA PAY,
    That’s right on a 120 hour shift the company will not provide meals to us while on duty or post YOU PAY OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET!!!!
    So basically your contract is meaningless, it actually says so, The CHS contract states that any aspect of it can change at any time without notice AND IT WILL!!!
    CHS IS A BAIT AND SWITCH COMPANY
    And no matter what they tell you your salary IS NOT TAX FREE THEY ARE NOT A GLS CONTRACT, YOU WILL NOT NE OUT OF THE COUNTRY LONG ENOUGH EVEN OF THEY WERE!!!!
    DON’T LEAVE YOU family, friends and job THIS COMPANY WILL COST YOU MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER GAIN!!! . AND YES THEY WILL LIE TO YOU ABOUT THERE CONTRACTS, because they don’t actually have any nore will they!!!!

Forum Member

Default chs

and the salary is NOT 105, there are 5 pay grades ranging from 55 to 71 for 6 24 hour shifts per week, no ot and they lost there contracts you have bo job security.....

Thread Information