Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default How are my chances?

I was just curious as to how favorable an opportunity an ex-Navy SEAL would have getting hired as a firefighter. Upholding standards of uncompromised excellence and unwavering loyalty and teamwork seem to be common themes that both SEALs and firefighters share.

Forum Member

do you have any certs?

With an unblemished criminal background, veterans preference, and the required certifications, you'll do better than the average bear.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Having prior service and some certs may not get you in the door. The first thing you need to do is look at your DD-214 if you were discharged. Get with your local recruiter and see if you qualify. Every 214 has a code on it signifying if you are eligible to return to duty or not.

The next thing you need to know is that unless you get a guarentee firefighter assignment, you will be steered towards the more critical career fields. With respect to the Air Force, you will be a perfect candidate for the special ops fields. Fire fighter used to be a critically manned career field, but with the cutbacks, we've lost out bonuses and have to do more with less.

I'd sit down with your local recruiter and weigh the options. I would not guarentee anything but give it a shot. But no matter what, get the assignment in writing before you sign anything.

Forum Member

I don't remember the Ex Navy Seal stating he wanted to go back in the military as an Air Force Firefighter?

FDcjc3- Glad you decided to make the move to the fire service.

I would like to make at lease one suggestion, pursuing a career in the fire service is a multi-colored presentation. When you get to an oral board, do not bomb them with "I am an ex-seal" from tip to end. When they ask- "Why should we hire you?", you want to present a muti-point answer, military service being one of maybe 6 points.

Example- Ever go on a date with a person and they talk about the same one thing all night long? Annoying, huh? Same deal.

Take this one background item and build a foundation on that. What about schooling, an academy and training? Some mentioned "certs". Just getting a certs doesnt make you a better Candidate or Firefighter. That is specialty information a student needs to build on and keep these skills. Trust me, I have a very large stack of certs, but they dont mean much If I cant retain the information.

Hope this all helps.

I was once told that real Navy Seals never admitted, bragged, or otherwise openly admitted to anyone that they were Seals, and anyone that did wishes they were or are a Navy Seal........

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I was once told that real Navy Seals never admitted, bragged, or otherwise openly admitted to anyone that they were Seals, and anyone that did wishes they were or are a Navy Seal........
    BS, I know tons of real SEAL's that will get it in within the first three minutes of conversation that they are in the Teams. That idea you prefaced does add to the mystique though.

As to the OP, as long as you have an Honorable Discharge, you should have little problem getting on the job. You might just have a bit of a wait depending on where you want to work.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    BS, I know tons of real SEAL's that will get it in within the first three minutes of conversation that they are in the Teams. That idea you prefaced does add to the mystique though.

As to the OP, as long as you have an Honorable Discharge, you should have little problem getting on the job. You might just have a bit of a wait depending on where you want to work.
    I know 3 of them myself, including my neighbor's son. They all refrain from mentioning the fact that they are seals. In casual conversation, it was maintained that due to all of the black ops and operational security in general, that seals as a whole just try to avoid bringing it up at all. At least thats what I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I know 3 of them myself, including my neighbor's son. They all refrain from mentioning the fact that they are seals. In casual conversation, it was maintained that due to all of the black ops and operational security in general, that seals as a whole just try to avoid bringing it up at all. At least thats what I was told.
    I have not met one yet that did not have the Trident sticker in their POV's rear window, they are worse than us Marines like that.

There are tons of fakers out there, and they too are pretty obvious in the first few minutes of conversation.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

ha, every seal i know, every oda guy, and every member of any 'special' tactics unit is quick, and i mean quick to point out their profession.
    As well they should be, they suffered and made it through a challenging selection and training process. You could bet a shinny nickel that i'd be bragging about it.
    Hell, rangers and jtac's do it, and their not even all that 'special'. Point is, i wouldn't buy into that whole 'silent professional' image.

Thread Information