MembersZone Subscriber

Question Fire Bells and Fanfare

I had this posted over in the Buff section, but I know alot of engineers are usually involved in these events so I ask here as well.

I'm looking for some contact info for Fire Bells and Fanfare. We're looking to host an event next year; can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.
    "We accept great personal risk to save another person's life; We accept moderate personal risk to save another persons property; We accept no personal risk to save what is already lost"

Visit us on the web @ www.saltspringfire.com

Forum Member

What is "Fire Bells and Fanfare?"
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Something you'd love, Buff!

Here's the link to pictures of the Victoria Fire Bells and Fanfare, part of the BC150 celebrations over the Heritage Day long weekend last August ...

http://www.victoriafirehistorical.ca/gallfirebells.htm

Here's my post about the event on last year's thread ...

Firefighters honour 150 years of service
    Katie DeRosa, Times Colonist
    Published: Sunday, August 03, 2008

The evolution of firefighting rolled down Government Street in a flash of red yesterday during Fire Bells and Fanfare, celebrating 150 years of Victoria's firefighters.

More than 70 relics of firefighting's past, from hand pumps to long wooden ladders on carriage wheels to vintage fire trucks with manual sirens and bells, were restored and brought to Victoria from cities across North America.

The procession eventually parked itself in front of the legislature building so amazed spectators could get a closer look at the antique trucks and equipment.

Do you know how this thing works?" Mark Colegrave asked retired Victoria firefighter John Shipley, pointing to the late-19th century steam pumper, one of the oldest pieces of equipment on display.

Shipley well knows, as a member of the Victoria Fire Department Historical Society, the group that oversaw the steamer's restoration.

"This is the only one in Canada that's up and running," said Shipley, 74, who served for 33 years with the Victoria Fire Department. It will be running today during a demonstration of the antique equipment at Ship Point from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

"It's very cool to see all this stuff and what they had to deal with," said Colegrave, of Victoria, who came to check out the trucks with his wife Christine Penny. "It's amazing it worked as well as it did."

The shiny, restored contraptions look primitive compared to today's models, but were considered great advancements in firefighting at the time, said Shipley.

As the history goes, in 1858 word of a gold strike on the Fraser River brought a flood of people to Victoria who hastily set up rudimentary cloth shelters wherever they found work. Eager entrepreneurs followed, erecting ramshackle wooden buildings to house their businesses. Fire prevention bylaws did not exist and citizens grew worried that fire would spark and spread rapidly across the city.

In August 1858, Gov. James Douglas ordered two small manual pumpers and some leather hose from California and members of the community organized themselves into the first fire department.

Four firefighters have died in the line of duty since that day, and yesterday, a memorial bronze fire bell was unveiled in front of Victoria City Hall to commemorate their service. It was the very bell that called Victoria firefighters to duty until the early 1900s.

Rod Medley, whose grandfather Fred Medley died in the line of duty in October 1925, said the memorial will pay tribute to the fallen firefighters and current ones who risk their lives every day.

"To me it's not a job. They actually give their lives to save the whole community."

kderosa@tc.canwest.com

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

SaltSpring, if you didn't look on Firehall like I suggested on your other thread, try contacting VanIsleEVT either here or on the Firehall forums. He should be able to set you in the right direction. Or contact the Victoria Fire Department Historical Society, I'm sure they can help you out.

I believe the thread on Firehall was more in-depth, but I can't remember for sure if there's any more info there than what I came up with. Unfortunately, all the articles seem to be gone, they aren't coming up when I do a google search.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Buff,I saw a big,chrome,shiny ball. And NOT a dance ball either,T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Chrome Ball

The Holy Grail:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    SaltSpring, if you didn't look on Firehall like I suggested on your other thread, try contacting VanIsleEVT either here or on the Firehall forums. He should be able to set you in the right direction. Or contact the Victoria Fire Department Historical Society, I'm sure they can help you out.

I believe the thread on Firehall was more in-depth, but I can't remember for sure if there's any more info there than what I came up with. Unfortunately, all the articles seem to be gone, they aren't coming up when I do a google search.
    Ya I've checked all the web and haven't come up with anything. I've already called the Victoria Fire Dept. Hx Society and haven't hear anything yet either.

I thought I'd post it here over Firehall since I know VanIsleEVT visits this site more often, but thanks for your suggestions.
    "We accept great personal risk to save another person's life; We accept moderate personal risk to save another persons property; We accept no personal risk to save what is already lost"

Visit us on the web @ www.saltspringfire.com

Forum Member

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't come up with more. I was sure I'd seen info online other than just the Victoria stuff and in more places online than the article I posted back then.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Jamie,

I'll send you a PM with our event coordinator's email. He's done a few of these so he'd definitely be the one to talk to, plus he loves doing it. I suppose we'd have to bring the steamer

Forum Member

It looks as though you don't have PM. Email me then.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    I suppose we'd have to bring the steamer
    You're so funny! hehe Said so innocently and with a straight face?!

*waves* Hi!

I loved going to the Fire Bells and Fanfare here, and would go again if the opportunity arises and finances permit.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

This one would only be a ferry ride away for you.

Forum Member

That's true.

I guess I forgot to take into consideration that it would be NEXT year and was speaking from the perspective of my current circumstances (laid off since the end of April).

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information