Forum Member

Default Pagers; Swissphone vs. Motorola

Looking to purchase 130 pagers for our mutual aid. I understand the Motorola minotars are being made overseas now. Has anyone had any experience with the Swissphone pagers? They seem to have more features, but Motorola has been the dominant pager source for many years. Is there a conflict hidden here? Repair/replacement issues? Batteries? If anyone is aware of problems or pluses with Swissphone I would appreciate knowing.

Forum Member

My line of work doesn't lend itself to long pager life. I've had a swissphone for a couple years now and I'm well pleased with both the performance and the battery life. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use this: http://apollowireless.com/WebPage.js...=820&ipid=1607

Great alternative to the Minitor V, and haven't had any problems with them in the time we've been using them. We also use the Apollo Alphanumeric pager's as well.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Thanks for the confirmation. I know Motorola is the leader, but am encountering some grumbling. Getting opinions from out of the mainstream is getting to be a priority with every purchase now. Gracias

MembersZone Subscriber

We are using a mix of Swissphone and Motorola Minitor 3's, 4's and 5's

We have had good luck with the Swissphone once we got the programming set up the way we wanted it. Just took some time playing with it.

We have had good luck with both. The cases on the Swissphone are not as durable but they are cheaper to repair.

And just for the record.... Swissphone is made overseas too
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Always loved the Minitors - ok, with the exception of the III's.

Have had customers with lots of issues with the Tribute 911, and the
    Apollos.

No experience with Swissphone other than when they started US distribution they were at a loss to figure out the market.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfireguy View Post
    We are using a mix of Swissphone and Motorola Minitor 3's, 4's and 5's

We have had good luck with the Swissphone once we got the programming set up the way we wanted it. Just took some time playing with it.

We have had good luck with both. The cases on the Swissphone are not as durable but they are cheaper to repair.

And just for the record.... Swissphone is made overseas too
    I think you would be hard pressed to find any type of electronics that aren't made overseas,i.e. SE Asia or India. May be assembled here but components are made overseas.

Forum Member

We have a mix on Minitor 2/3/4 and in the last year or so, been replacing them with Swissphones...

I've heard mixed reports, the programming definately took some tweaking to get right; but haven't heard any complaints in a bit. I do think I get better reception with my Min2, and haven't upgraded yet... Plus I do believe in the "if it ain't broke..." school of thought, when it comes to my pager.

OntFF221

Forum Member

My Swissphone works where my Minitor didn't

Early Adopter

Our inventory is a selection of Minitor IVs and Vs. We've had an assortment of problems with them -- most notably the battery's inability to stay connected on the Vs. Our pager guy is test-driving a Swissphone pager for possible use. From my experience with it, I worry that the Swissphone might be smarter than some of the people that will be using it.

More importantly, though, is that the Swissphone will not trip on our tones when they are sent through the repeater. It will alert if the tones are sent through the direct channel, however. I don't know enough about radio waves to understand why this is happening... And the company we use for radio/pager service is a Motorola dealer -- so they have zero incentive to help us get the Swissphone pagers working.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    From my experience with it, I worry that the Swissphone might be smarter than some of the people that will be using it.

More importantly, though, is that the Swissphone will not trip on our tones when they are sent through the repeater. It will alert if the tones are sent through the direct channel, however. I don't know enough about radio waves to understand why this is happening... And the company we use for radio/pager service is a Motorola dealer -- so they have zero incentive to help us get the Swissphone pagers working.
    You can "dumb them down" through programming to make them simple.

As for why they wont trip via the repeater.... thats strange...
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Our inventory is a selection of Minitor IVs and Vs. We've had an assortment of problems with them -- most notably the battery's inability to stay connected on the Vs. Our pager guy is test-driving a Swissphone pager for possible use. From my experience with it, I worry that the Swissphone might be smarter than some of the people that will be using it.

While one may say this is a perfect example of why you should buy local, I do understand that you should have options.

That said, I am willing to bet that your repeater is simply in need of a bit of tuning. Most likely the tones are getting slightly distorted. Its really a common issue when using some of the other brand pagers, and radios with the paging option built in. Often found when using a GR500 style repeater, or an outboard repeater controller.

Now - your shop will say I am on crack, they will blame the user equipment, but I am willing to bet they will shut up when they find out where you heard it from.... At least if you are in AR.

Drop me an email if you want some more input. bbowers@mozarks.com

Forum Member

I agree, Doesn't take much drift for the pager tones to "miss". T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our inventory is a selection of Minitor IVs and Vs. We've had an assortment of problems with them -- most notably the battery's inability to stay connected on the Vs. ...
    Our dealer tells me that the Minitor V has a recall to fix battery falling off problem. They send in for new case with improved latch.

Thread Information