Forum Member

Default Housefund By-Laws

To all,

I am looking for help without re-inventing the wheel of establishing by-laws for a house-fund (money collected from house members and t-shirts sales). Something that would spell out voting privileges, pay ins, pay outs etc. Any help from a house that has something set-up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Forum Member

Each member pays X amount per month.

Certain items (condiments, coffee, tea, etc.) are bought with fund money for those who pay in to partake in.

In the event of a major purchase with fund money, all paying members will be consulted and all must agree on the purchase before it is made.

That pretty much sums it up.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Where do you gus keep the cash and how do you secure it?

Forum Member

Cash stays in a lockbox in the office desk drawer. "Keeper of the Fund" has a key to the box.

If you are at a bigger house I would suggest opening a bank account.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

No we are a small dept. 4 guys on per shift but alot of people walk through our doors each day so we are looking for a secure way of doing a house fund. The other problem that we are looking at is that since we have such little man power and we all have different diets group meals are once in a blue moon. I am trying to start up a house fund for other things around the firehouse like coffee/hot chocolate. Something to offer town residents or visiting officers. However alot of our career guys settle for D&D on their way in to shift and when someone important comes along we have nothing to offer them.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Each member puts $5 per pay into the house fund (16 personnel assigned to the station). This pays for the premium cable TV, daily paper, coffee, sodas for the drink machine, condiments, and "staples of cooking."

One of the C-shifters collects the money and puts it into a bank account that's in the station's name.

If we get to a point where we bank a good deal of money, and want to make a large purchase, everyone in the station gets a vote.

The house fund doesn't pay for meals for the day. We go out to the store and buy food for lunch and dinner (breakfast is on your own), and then divide the total cost up between the number of personnel that are in for each meal.

I've been around the fire service for quite a while, and have never heard of anyone using by-laws for the house fund. How common is it to have the house fund that structured?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post

In the event of a major purchase with fund money, all paying members will be consulted and all must agree on the purchase before it is made.
    I vehemently disagree with this. If a vote is taken, the majority of votes should rule.

For exapmle.. if a new TV was needed for the day room, and one group voted against it, should it not be purchased?

You know damn well that they will be watching it should it be purchased, so in effect, they will be paying their fair share... as it should be.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Great points !

what do you do with those who choose NOT to pay or are behind in paying ? How far behind can a member get before they are ineligible to vote ?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Well, we have about 600 people, and I don't know of a single one of them that choose NOT to pay. Some are more punctual than others, but everyone participates as far as I know.

We don't have a lot of hard-and-fast rules about time to pay and the such. We generally find that peer pressure from the house fund guy AND your shift mates is enough to get guys to pay.

If someone chose NOT to pay? They don't get to read the paper, watch the TV, drink the coffee, use the catsup, etc. Sounds a little miserable to me...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

we dont have bylaws for the house fund. however we have years of tradition to govern it. Our house fund is ten bucks per pay (different amounts for each house). the house fund pays for everything from pot and pans, tv and cable, newspaper, food staples, private phone line, anything to make life better at the station. For larger purchases (think capital items), each member votes majority rules. The money is kept in a house fund bank account at the firefighter's credit union (keeping money in the station is a bad idea in my area of town). Most guys set it up to automaticly deduct the money from their check. However you always have the few that refuse to do it the simple way. If a guy gets behind for a reason (major sickness/illness in the family, something like that) then we are a family we look out for one another. If they just refuse to pay, then we have ways of making em pay up. If they simpily refuse to participate then they cant enjoy the comforts.

We also have a drink fund. a frig full of soda, sports drink, bottle water, candy bars. all items 50 cents. profits go in the house fund account. we really just break even on this, it is a non-profit venture. Operates on the honesty system. If you steal from the brothers then youe a piece of ***** anyways.

Thread Information