Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    Awe come on FFRED... tell us... I know there are no buffs and OSW's in the engines and trucks... especially all those guys in the 13th BN who have gone to SOC or are waiting to go... I guess they will get a buff implant when they get there?
    Glad to see you have a sense of humor...I thought R.M. removed that when you get there.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Interesting set of accusations Fryed.

Maybe it makes you feel like a man or maybe it makes you feel tough to throw out insults without any proof. Actually, it really doesn't bother me but it does make you look sorta silly.

Never said my job wasn't primarily admin - mostly pubed and training, but it also includes preplanning, recruiting/retention and miscellaneous other tasks, such as dealing with the paperwork and phone calls required to process our March LODD.

I go out on fires, serious MVAs and rescues when needed. Again, we have a large group of volunteers so they handle most of the emergencies, no the paid staff.

You get satisfaction out of opening a roof. Great. I get satisfaction out of developing a new lesson plan for pubed, teaching a training class or coming up with a more efficiant tracking system. I have always enjoyed the admin side of the fire service more than the field side, especially in the last 15 years. Guess I'm just silly that way.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-22-2009 at 09:34 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, I'll give this one chance to learn anything from this thread. Few questions for the guys who were there or have adequade experience to talk.
    The roll gates gave the brothers quite a hard time, we don't have the crime that New York has so our gates are usually easy to get in, very few powered, some chain hoist, but mostly manual, with just one padlock. What was the specific problem here?
    Have you guys had enough gates come down that cutting them out is common place now?
    For us scissor gates are the most common and attack can be started while we try to get them open.
    As for the term taxpayer, our area doesn't really use it, I'm guessing the term refers to just an inexpensive building slapped up to get some property tax revenue, if that's the case we have hundreds. So what is New York's definition?
    What was the back like? The block is long so I'm not suggesting they go through the back, just curious. I didn't see the members hit the roof early on, is it common to open the roof, or is there a reason not to in this construction? Or did I just not see them?

Thanks in advance for the info, the fire looks like it went well, we should ALL try to learn something from this.

Forum Member

One should go with their strengths. I can't seem to get a handle on what those might be in Bizzaro Parrish,but doesn't matter anyway.I don't live there nor would I stay there knowing the attitude of the FD administration.Unless you're the singular weak link. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    My job is pubed, training and admin, and very little fireground.

Last year I was offered a firefighting position by another fire district for about the same money, but I turned it down, because well, it was a firefighting position.

Being almost 50, and having 30 years in as a vollie and call firefighter, I have fought enough fires. At this point in my career, I enjoy the pubed and support role much more than fireground functions.
    To listen to you try to portray yourself as some experienced firefighter with a "been there, done that" attitude is laughable.

You spent almost all of your time in an admitedly rural and glorified ambulance service.

You have never actually fought a fire above the ground floor.

You are afraid of fires in commercial establishments.

You have no experience in raising and operating off of a portable ladder.

You haven't the slightest idea what a standpipe actually is, let alone familiar with its operation.

You are absolutely unfamiliar with search procedures as well as a myriad of other routine fireground tasks that you have repeatedly admitted to never performing.

Please spare us the "salty veteran" rhetoric. You aren't fooling anyone except for yourself.

Forum Member

Jakes ..

Not that irt matters, but I just like things to be correct.

I have spent the last 6 years in a rural department where EMS is our primary function. Before that I spent most of my tim e in busy surburban departments in VT and NY with multiple story (3-5) hotels, hospitals, offices and large footprint shopping malls, industrial buildings and retail very big boxes. Have dealt with major fire, rescue and haz-mat incidents. All of these departments, with the exception of one, had nothing to do with EMS.

You have never actually fought a fire above the ground floor.

Have worked 2 and 3 story residental structures, apartment buildings and college dorm fires. Have worked a ferry fire. Have worked more than my share of basement fires. I really don't need to justify my expereince to you.

You are afraid of fires in commercial establishments.

I respect commercial fires because they kill a disproportinatte number of firefighters. Thier constructioin collapses early in a fire. There are rarely life hazards. There are no need to take any type of chances in a commercial fire unless the gain is quite tangible and acheivable. Have worked many commercial fires. Most defensive. Because the IC was smart enough to know the above.

We have limited mutual aid resources here. We have identified our limitations and work within them.

You have no experience in raising and operating off of a portable ladder

Really? I worked in the northeast for 23 years, primarily with departments without ladder trucks, and I never raised a ground ladder. Never went to chimney fire? Never worked a 2 stroy structure though they represent most of the housing stock?

I'll repeat. We have very few 2 story structures HERE. We rarely raise a ground ladder HERE. I have more than my fair share of working with ladders THERE.

You haven't the slightest idea what a standpipe actually is, let alone familiar with its operation

Let's see. Last department I was in in VT had standpipes in over 25 2-5 story structures plus standpipes in probably another 10-12 structures in an auto mutual aid district, including a 10-story building. Hotels, office buildings, college dorms and classroom buildings, apartments. Google Colchester and Winooski VT if you don't beleive me.

Forum Member

Jakes ..

Not that irt matters, but I just like things to be correct.

You are right... it doesn't matter.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    You are right... it doesn't matter.
    Jakes,

Damn you...HIS JOB IS PUBED (Still is 2 words, pub ed, not pubed LIKE a pubic hair infection or perhaps styling), TRAINING, AND ADMIN.

HE DOESN'T HAVE TO JUSTIFY ANY OF HIS LUNACY TO YOU.

GOT IT?

Forum Member

I really don't.

But jakes likes to continue to make false statements about my background.

Of course, I have no idea what his background is.

Forum Member

I really don't.

But jakes likes to continue to make false statements about my background.

Of course, I have no idea what his background is.
    And, other than what we can see on the Bossier Parish website, we only know about you what you expect us to believe.

MembersZone Subscriber

I really don't.

But...
    ...I do anyway.

Whenever someone says something, then follows it up with a "but...", the first part is a lie.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Remember. Hermey didn't like to make toys either. Maybe he could be the Chief of the Island of Misfit Toys FD?

It would be all volunteer, of course.
    Did you really reference the 1964 animated special, Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer?

That's classic.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Did you really reference the 1964 animated special, Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer?

That's classic.
    Yes. Yes, I did.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

I have always enjoyed the admin side of the fire service more than the field side, especially in the last 15 years. Guess I'm just silly that way.
    Isn't it funny how 95% of the *********s say this exact thing? Whats that old saying....."Those that can, DO.....Those that can't, TEACH.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Isn't it funny how 95% of the *********s say this exact thing? Whats that old saying....."Those that can, DO.....Those that can't, TEACH.
    They have to say it when they can't now, or more than likely never could, do the actual job of being a firefighter.

It's just another in the miriad of excuses, word plays, games and outright lies of that kind of person. Justification is king. Not the finished product, but justification.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    I was at this job. First due did an amazing job Eng 95 and Lad 36. The store was HUGE, 100 feet deep, it felt like the aisles went for days! Fire appeared to start in the front of the store and was contained to the rolls of TP and the stock up front. Usually these go to 4th or 5th alarms. Our Div Commander did a story on the last 99Cent store fire 40 blocks south of this one, the outcome of that one was not as good.
    Question on those roll-up doors...

I must have missed it but do you have to makes cuts on both sides of the door to remove the slats? We've been taught the triangle cut but this is the first time I have seen the slats removed.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

How you make access depends ENTIRELY on your tactical objectives and the size up of the door.

Sure you can use the triangle cut, but that doesnt help much with ventilation and isnt the best choice for an entry/egress point. For immediate access its a good method, but the opening should be enlarged after the immediate need for the hole is achieved.

Again, depending on the door design you may or maynot be able to just slide the slats off each other. If you are able to slide the slats, again depending on the size of the door 3 cuts should be made. 1 on each side and 1 down the middle. This cuts the size of the slats in half making them much easier to remove and control. Imagine a single roll down door covering 15-18 foot opening. Just making 2 cuts to slide the slats out of the way would leave you with 14-17 foot slats that you need to deal with. 1 additional cut gives you 7-8 foot slats with are much more manageable.

If you have identified that you cant slide the slats off each other due to door constuction, then attack the lock. Usually are hockey puck locks which hold a pin that goes thru the guide rail thru the door then thru the other side of the guide rail. Once you have defeated the lock, pull the pin and roll up the doors. Just besure to prop the doors up with something so they dont come back down. A portable ladder or hook jammed into the guide rail works well.

Our deparment uses what we call a P-Tool. It looks kinda like the letter F, but with the two lines close together. Basically we cut guide rail above and below the lock, slide the P-Tool over the rail and bend the rail outward which inturn pulls the pin. Just becarefull not to cut the door when you are cutting the rail. Cutting the door may interfere with the ability for the door to roll up.

If for some reason the door then doesnt roll up, warping from heat, rust, whatever. You could lead off with the triangle but just be sure to enlarge it.
    Last edited by PFDTruck18; 06-28-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've always done the exact opposite, take the locks first and if for some reason the door doesn't open then start cutting. Once cut I've found that the door rarely opens. Also if the door opens the vent opening is way bigger then anything we can cut.
    With the triangle cut you can start working the stream into the space as soon as the tip begins to fall down, when the fire is pushed back a bit pulling slats can then be done. I agree that a triangle alone won't do.

Forum Member

You would be correct. Go after the lock first. The flow of the response didnt end up the way I intended.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Thread Information