Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post

NFPA 13D is the one you are referring to when you state there is no outside FDC. (13D is for SFD or duplex residential buildings.)
    Many local AHJs have begun requiring FDCs (1 1/2 in.) on 13D systems as well. This only works on a dedicated sprinkler system, not one of those pex hybrid plumbing/fp designs. Nashville Metro and surrounding areas are among those requiring residential FDCs.

Forum Member

Interesting view on the use of aerials as standpipes. As a quint infested city we use ours as standpipes, only because they are tested, trained with and reliable. Also noted the age and condition of our standpipes is not known, unless the building is new (less than 5 years).

To me using a 30+ year old standpipe and putting faith into it is much like using a 30+ year old pumper that has never been used. Can you really trust either?

Now if they are tested then its a whole different story.

Forum Member

If the building has a standpipe, use it. It there to help deploy lines faster.

As for using the stick as a standpipe,. I'm not a fan. If a dept is using the stick as a standpipe you limit it's operation to one function, appling water. Now the stick can't be used for possible rescue, or getting FF's to the roof, or if needed for a defensive operation.

Be safe

I am amazed at how many fire departments don't drill on standpipe use.

During a fire is too late. It can be a HUGE advantage to use the standpipe.

We don't have any high rises, but we have 750,000 sq ft warehouses and a couple of multistory hotels (I think four stories).

In another thread about parking garages, I mention that we use the stairwells in the parking garage to practice standpipe connections. We get permission and actually charge the standpipe at the street.

Good drill for the guys and operators. Find a business and get permission after they close to use their vacant garage.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

In another thread about parking garages, I mention that we use the stairwells in the parking garage to practice standpipe connections. We get permission and actually charge the standpipe at the street.

Good drill for the guys and operators. Find a business and get permission after they close to use their vacant garage.

We do the same here. They parking garages are 5 stories and we get great drills done every year there. On the standpipe or from the rig... some of the best training according to my company members that we've ever done.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

would depend....especially in older buildings, theres a lot that can go wrong with standpipes. You go up 5 stories in a 100 year old building with your high rise pack, connect to the standpipe, and that standpipe is rusted away and breaks when pressure hits it, then you're kinda screwed.

I would say if you are going to work off a standpipe for a quick knockdown, you'd better have a line being stretched in behind you just in case...

Thread Information