Thread: paging systems

Default paging systems

Our dept uses the Minitor pagers- from model III-V, We are dispatched thru the county, however we are only of 3 depts that are paged out on minitors in the entire county (the rest are paid depts) We have been having problems with the pagers lately, and our chief wants to look into other paging systems- what paging systems do all you guys have?

Forum Member

we have minitors also,have for years! what type of problems are you experiencing? over all they have been bullet proof for us,except batteries,

Forum Member

We use minitors with a cell phone text backup. Our minitors are 4&5's with a few old 2's mixed in. we got rid of all the 3's. They were the worst ever made and had the shortest shelf life before a new model came out. We also still use our siren.

Forum Member

A county neighboring ours tried to switch over to digital messaging pagers a few years ago. They quickly have moved back to tone and voice paging for volunteers as the messaging pagers were not reliable, missed data and were not alerting volunteers.

The Minitors are made for the rigors of the fire service- you can drop them, immerse them (for a little while), carrying them in freezing weather or structure fire heat and they keep on ticking. I don't know of any better system for volunteers than the one you are using.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have tried to phase out the Minitor pagers in our department and just use radios with page card capability. We have been using Motorola HT750 VHF radios for a while and they have been wonderful. We are now looking at migrating to Motorola PR 400. For just a little more than the price of a pager, we can get radios, so it only makes sense.
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

Forum Member

we haven't had any problems with our paging system that i know of. we are using a mixture of minitor IV's and V's... i agree that the 3's were complete junk, but it was due to them being the first time the minitor was a solid state pager and not a reed pager live the I's and II's... but explain the problems you are having...

MembersZone Subscriber

We got rid of pagers 8 yrs ago. We all carry radios now with pager option. We carry Vertex 160 and 180 love them and must less cost then the BIG M.

MembersZone Subscriber

We operate on a UHF sysytem using Minitor V s and Kenwood TK-272 radios with page option. We are phasing the pager out through attrition mainly due to cost you can purchase a radio at almost the same price.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrivers09 View Post
    we haven't had any problems with our paging system that i know of. we are using a mixture of minitor IV's and V's... i agree that the 3's were complete junk, but it was due to them being the first time the minitor was a solid state pager and not a reed pager live the I's and II's... but explain the problems you are having...
    We keep a few pagers around for new people, but we have moved to Vertex radios as well. We were able to purchase 3 radios for the price of 2 pagers.

Forum Member

Everyone has radio and a plectron (mine was manufactured in 1974). The plectrons are old, but bullet proof and work quite well.

Forum Member

If your dispatchers recently changed to wireless head sets that might be your problem. we were getting pages that were very broken and unreadable and after much trouble shooting we found that the trouble was with the wireless headsets..

Thread Information