MembersZone Subscriber

Default Staffing question...

Our city is one of several considering consolidation into a fire district. The plan would encompass 75 square miles and 250,000+ people. Where can I find recommendations/guidelines on the number of stations and more importantly personnel for a district of that size? Thanks in advance.

ltobvious

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ltobvious View Post
    Our city is one of several considering consolidation into a fire district. The plan would encompass 75 square miles and 250,000+ people. Where can I find recommendations/guidelines on the number of stations and more importantly personnel for a district of that size? Thanks in advance.

ltobvious
    Have your Local get in touch with the IAFF for a GIS study. Do it early because they have alot of these requests.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are a lot of factors going into that kind of decision based on several variables. There's also a lot of different ways of analyzing a different types of information, like call volume, coverage area, ISO points, etc.

I'm not sure what NFPA has to say, but I'm willing to be there's something in their standards that address stations. I know they have a standard regarding staffing (NFPA 1710 for career, NFPA 1720 for vollie, if I remember right).

As far as ISO is concerned, in hydranted areas they want an engine company every 1.5 miles and a service/ladder company every 2.5 miles. If it's not hydranted, they want a station for each 5 mile radius.

The IAFF will also help with doing some of the analysis. You can also look into hiring a consultant to tell you where you need your stations and what apparatus in those stations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ltobvious View Post

ltobvious
    LTO, i have some questions that i want to ask you, can you activate your private messages?

cbk
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    As far as ISO is concerned, in hydranted areas they want an engine company every 1.5 miles and a service/ladder company every 2.5 miles. If it's not hydranted, they want a station for each 5 mile radius.
    If I'm not mistaken, the ISO company distribution is by radius. So engine companies cover a 1.5 mile radius, which would result in a distance of 3 miles between companies and 5 miles between truck companies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the ISO company distribution is by radius. So engine companies cover a 1.5 mile radius, which would result in a distance of 3 miles between companies and 5 miles between truck companies.
    You're right, I worded that wrong. I did the same thing when I typed the 5 miles stuff and caught it, just didn't catch that one. Thanks for catching it.

MembersZone Subscriber

What is your protection area? Bedroom community, dense urban, rural, industrial? Any special hazards like a large chemical plant, university, lots of trailer parks, any special fire loads, etc. What is unique in your area?

Is your department vollie, paid on call, or career?

Use the ISO and NFPA 1720/1710 as a baseline or guideline but you have to survey your area to answer the above questions. You could have something very unique where you need a large volume of water or a high pumping capacity. Or something where you need lots of manpower to evacuate a large occupancy or something like that. Look at your fire loads and your occupancy levels/population levels at different times of the day.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

As has been said, ISO will dictate how many stations you will need.

They will also dictate the engine/truck ratio.

They will give you staffing for maximum points. Certainly you can staff below that level but you will not receive the maximum points available.

Special service and rescue companies should be based on the need for specialized rescue - water, ice, dive, high/low angle, trench, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Staffing follow up...

Dickey and LaFireEd.,
    Our are is definitley urban(at least by AFG Guidelines) pretty close to 100% hydrant coverage. 5 OR 6 of the cities involved have a high elderly population with a lot of assisted living facilities. Lake Erie, a Metropolitan Park, water pumping facility, sewer plant,light industry, alot of retail shopping areas, two major interstates, a couple of rail lines. Our mutual and automatic aid pacts are very strong and for the most part well executed. Five communities now share a central dispatch center. One of the communities had a study done several years ago and were found to be undermanned so my guess is at least a couple of the remaining communities are as well. We are all full time Union Depts. and skeptical the Mayors will follow any recommendations that recommend increases in staffing. I will try to get a look at NFPA recommendations and whatever else I can find. If either of you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default crew staffing

Looking for any input on how you keep your crews together around the station with vacation leave and fill ins. Anyone having any success with keeping their guys/gals at the station assigned? Is the leave handled within the company?

Thread Information