Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

Just because someone has a system they feel will work DOES NOT mean that it WILL work.
    I agree. The only rope bailout I have had the oppertunity of training with is the body slide. That is why I advocate it. Becuase I know it works.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Quote Originally Posted by YFDLt08 View Post
    Yeah, I tried that once and was charged with indecency!
    HA...hows Youngstown treating you? Have you guys been burning?
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Can anybody give me a website that shows me a body slide technique? Ive never saw one, watched one, or done one for that matter so I'm not a fan of getting what I need or going with that technique on something I've never witnessed done or done myself. Also if anyone wears a Yates kevlar escape belt let me know the pros/cons of that too thanks
    Ride together, Die together, Brotherhood forever

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman605 View Post
    Can anybody give me a website that shows me a body slide technique? Ive never saw one, watched one, or done one for that matter so I'm not a fan of getting what I need or going with that technique on something I've never witnessed done or done myself. Also if anyone wears a Yates kevlar escape belt let me know the pros/cons of that too thanks
    It's tough to tell for sure, but I think that they're using it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhNI6IBaVj0

We use it, and practice it pretty regularly.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

I have this:

It makes a lot more sense then hoping a halligan will stay driven into the floor, or anchored in the corner of a window, etc.

I don't know how well it works, and hope I never do.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

Just because someone has a system they feel will work DOES NOT mean that it WILL work.

I am not advocating the use of any particular system.

What I am advocating is taking an honest look at what events would cause you to exit out of a window in the first place and how much time you will actually have to use whatever system you choose and under what conditions you will be deploying that system.
    So do you not train for bailouts then? If it gets "bad", are you going to wait to burn or jump out the window and hope you live?

We train the body slide for quick exit from a rope bag/biner that are attached to our pack waist strap. For emergency exits we practice ladder bailouts. Most all of our district is residential, 2-4 story apartments, and 1-2 story commercial, and know where your ladders are.

Quote Originally Posted by upstater View Post
    It's tough to tell for sure, but I think that they're using it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhNI6IBaVj0

We use it, and practice it pretty regularly.
    Thats it the way I was taught and have always practiced it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I carry an air mattress rolled up in my pants. When the s#it hits the fan and the animal is looking at me, I just pull it out and lay it neatly on the floor. Then, I take off my tank and disconnect the hose. I attach a custom made valve to it and inflate the bed half way. This way it will still fit out the window. I then tie a triple shawshank knot around three railroad spike and drive them into the floor. I attach my rope to my bed and carefully lower it out the window. Once it's in place I look the beast right in the eye and say "I'll be back", hang, and drop to the comfort of my bed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    I carry an air mattress rolled up in my pants. When the s#it hits the fan and the animal is looking at me, I just pull it out and lay it neatly on the floor. Then, I take off my tank and disconnect the hose. I attach a custom made valve to it and inflate the bed half way. This way it will still fit out the window. I then tie a triple shawshank knot around three railroad spike and drive them into the floor. I attach my rope to my bed and carefully lower it out the window. Once it's in place I look the beast right in the eye and say "I'll be back", hang, and drop to the comfort of my bed.

Therma-Rest style or AeroBed? Cause the Aerobed comes with it's own inflater, no need to waste air.

Forum Member

I carry a 50' piece of 8mm rope stuffed n a 40' bag w/ a carabiner. I attach it to my pack & if needed just toss the bag out the window & attach the carabiner end to my tool that I use as an anchor. Total cost was about $60. I live n NC & we have a Breathing Equipment School at Gaston Community College. Best class I've ever taken! There was even a guy from FL in our class. Well worth the trip!

Steven Jerome
    New Bern Fire-Rescue
    Tower-1

PTB

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    LMFAO...now that was good!
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusPaul View Post
    So do you not train for bailouts then? If it gets "bad", are you going to wait to burn or jump out the window and hope you live?
    I am not sure how you could possibly make that assumption based on anything I have ever posted in here.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is not an everyday scenario or occurence. And acknowledging that what may work in a training building might not necessarily work in reality because it is impossible to duplicate the urgency of a situation such as a flashover isn't about "unreasonable hatred" of one particular way.

I am not sure how you could possibly make that assumption based on anything I have ever posted in here.

Then how do you train for it? From the above one can infer that because of the urgency of a flashover, nothing is going to work for you short of something like jumping out of the window. Therefore my assumption.

When I think bailout, I am thinking of collapse danger of loss of fire control, something that would call for IC to call an emergency withdrawal. I think most can agree if you are in a room that flashes, chances are you're not going anywhere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusPaul View Post
    Then how do you train for it? From the above one can infer that because of the urgency of a flashover, nothing is going to work for you short of something like jumping out of the window. Therefore my assumption.

When I think bailout, I am thinking of collapse danger of loss of fire control, something that would call for IC to call an emergency withdrawal. I think most can agree if you are in a room that flashes, chances are you're not going anywhere.
    I never once mentioned "not training for it". In fact I have said the exact opposite.

But rather than be fooled by the latest gadget and sales reps or by techniques proposed by people who do not understand fire behavior I would encourage every firefighter to think about the events that would lead up to an emergency exit via a window.

When thinking about those situations you should ask yourself:

- will I have to go further into the room to look for an anchor?
    - how will my system secure itself to me?
    - how will my system secure itself to the anchor?
    - how much time will it take to implement my system?
    - can I do it while injured?
    - can I do it while being foced to the floor due to heat conditions?
    - how long can I reasonalby expect to hang from my system after I exit the window?
    - how many floors up can I be expected to be in my response area?

I seriously doubt whether ANY of these things are considered by several people who possess extremely cavalier attitudes about what they are going to do to "bailout".

But I am not quite sure where you got the impression that I was against training on this paramount personal safety issue. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It's NOT that complicated......... If you're leaving a perfectly good building to go swing on a 7-8MM ROPE one of two things is happening.Either you're training: GOOD! Or all other possibilities of leaving the building safely have been exhausted. If that is the case,your options are few. TIME is one thing you DON'T have. I've used engineered systems and I've used the body slide. IN MY RESPONSE AREA either will accomplish the required task in a timely fashion.I agree with those that say in a three story or less a body slide will be quite satisfactory PROVIDED you practice the method on a regular basis. The same rule applies for the engineered system,if you DO NOT practice with it you'll be in trouble if you have to bail. I'm not inclined to argue with those who think the engineered system is the ONLY acceptable method. Theory(and practice)says that there is a time critical period in which you can bail.Once the room is engulfed,if you're NOT on the ground,that rope or hook is GOING to be compromised.Personally,I'm not going to "hang"around to find out.Out and down,quickly. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's NOT that complicated......... If you're leaving a perfectly good building to go swing on a 7-8MM ROPE one of two things is happening.Either you're training: GOOD! Or all other possibilities of leaving the building safely have been exhausted. If that is the case,your options are few. TIME is one thing you DON'T have. I've used engineered systems and I've used the body slide. IN MY RESPONSE AREA either will accomplish the required task in a timely fashion.I agree with those that say in a three story or less a body slide will be quite satisfactory PROVIDED you practice the method on a regular basis. The same rule applies for the engineered system,if you DO NOT practice with it you'll be in trouble if you have to bail. I'm not inclined to argue with those who think the engineered system is the ONLY acceptable method. Theory(and practice)says that there is a time critical period in which you can bail.Once the room is engulfed,if you're NOT on the ground,that rope or hook is GOING to be compromised.Personally,I'm not going to "hang"around to find out.Out and down,quickly. T.C.

Ask Firefighter Jeff Cool FDNY rescue 3 if the body slide works. He was involved in black Sunday and was unable to slow down or stop with the body slide. His career is over b/c of that day. In fact we can thank him and the other members of FDNY who lost their lives that day for the personal safety systems we have today. (NEVER Forget)..... Thatís why I carry a prerigged safety system on me every call I go on. If you want to risk your life by using the body slide then by all means go for it. For me I am going to learn by the brothers who have gone before me. Who have been there and done that.

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    Ask Firefighter Jeff Cool FDNY rescue 3 if the body slide works. He was involved in black Sunday and was unable to slow down or stop with the body slide. His career is over b/c of that day. In fact we can thank him and the other members of FDNY who lost their lives that day for the personal safety systems we have today. (NEVER Forget)..... Thatís why I carry a prerigged safety system on me every call I go on. If you want to risk your life by using the body slide then by all means go for it. For me I am going to learn by the brothers who have gone before me. Who have been there and done that.
    At least we CAN ask him. Becuase he is ALIVE. If he hadnt used the body slide and just jumped, his life, not his career, would probably be over.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

And NO WHERE in my post did I say the body slide was preferable to the engineered system.I SAID,IN MY AREA,either one would work.And EITHER is preferable to the other option.I'd love to have the chance to take with FF Cool as I have an idea he could offer a lot more insight on that day than just a failed escape "system".Very few systems here,but we're working on it as funds become available. T.C.

Forum Member

Can somebody give me a step by step process as to how you would perform a body slide? I'm unfamiliar with it so I'd rather spend the extra $ with a system I know Ive used and can use vs something I've never done except hear about.
    Ride together, Die together, Brotherhood forever

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    umm... he's alive isn't he? Not the preferred outcome, but given the situation I'd say its not to shabby.

and to preempt your response, if you want to disregard the body slide technique because of this "failure", you better get rid of every piece of equipment in the firehouse because it's failed before.

Thread Information