MembersZone Subscriber

There is no time for taking turns on anything, if you have the time to tie knots and wrap a beiner you probably don't need to jump out the window.

Forum Member

Everything will be pre-tired, i wont have to tie knots or wrap 3 times, it'll all be ready to go
    Ride together, Die together, Brotherhood forever

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    There is no time for taking turns on anything, if you have the time to tie knots and wrap a beiner you probably don't need to jump out the window.
    Excellent point!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman605 View Post
    Everything will be pre-tired, i wont have to tie knots or wrap 3 times, it'll all be ready to go
    I will try and take some pic's of my system tomorrow at work. It is 50ft of 8mm sterling bailout rope. With a CMC escape artest, crosby hook, rock-n-rescue bag, all on a gut belt pre rigged.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    I will try and take some pic's of my system tomorrow at work. It is 50ft of 8mm sterling bailout rope. With a CMC escape artest, crosby hook, rock-n-rescue bag, all on a gut belt pre rigged.
    That would be great, I bought mine yesterday. 50 feet of 7.5mm rope, crosby hook, yates kevlar escape belt, tfs bailout bag, and I have the biners. All I could afford at this time, may look into a handsfree decending device when I have the money.

Forum Member

[QUOTE

What I am advocating is taking an honest look at what events would cause you to exit out of a window in the first place and how much time you will actually have to use whatever system you choose and under what conditions you will be deploying that system.[/QUOTE]

I def AGREE w/ this statement. Sometimes its hard to make a decision on what equipment to purchase that may be used to save your life someday. I have personally found that searching for personal equipment for our job is basically trial & error. Ive tried dif formations of dif systems & I cant even tell you how much its cost, but price isnt important when its your life. When you get a bail out system you cant just stuff it in your pocket & think your ok, practice is what makes it work. So whatever you decide on, dont become complacent.

MembersZone Subscriber

here they are if I can get them to work.

[IMG]vp stuff 002[/IMG]
    [IMG]vp stuff 003[/IMG]
    [IMG]vp stuff 004[/IMG]

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok here goes again.
    so this didn't work either it I can figure it out I will get them up today. Sorry I have never put up pics on here.
    Last edited by giweff; 06-25-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: link doesnt work

Forum Member

haha ya, i didnt get the pics in either post. im not 100% myself on how to post pics. whenever ya get em up that would be great.

Forum Member

Check the size.If they don't fit FH's "mini" format,they won't upload. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am stupid when it comes to this stuff I will ask my computer buddy tomorrow. If you want them just PM your email and I will send them to you that way. That I can do.... Hopefully.

Forum Member

Did you happen to get it figured out? My stuff should be here either tomorrow and or tuesday i had to order form two seperate places.

Forum Member

in order to use [img] tags the photo needs to be somewhere on the web. Its kind of complicated how it works, but the tags tell your computer where to find the picture and it automaticly grabs it from the other site and displays it on your screen as if it was actually in your post. If you have a photobucket account you can use that to host the pictures.

Just upload them onto www.photobucket.com, and they'll even give you what you need and just copy the [IMG] one and paste it here.
    Last edited by nameless; 06-29-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Forum Member

I got all my stuff in but my belt was the wrong size, they shipped the wrong one, but it should all be here tomorrow so when I go to the drill tower to do trial runs i'll get some pics of what I made for myself.

Forum Member

Default self rescue bailouts

In my own humble opinion, there are many self rescue kits that one can buy or put together him/herself. They all have their pros and cons. I prefer a Truck/RIT/self rescue belt. On my kevlar belt/harness, I carry a small rope bag with 40 ft of self rescue rope with a carabiner tied to the end. I also use the belt to carry my hand tool when needed(if I am the irons guy, I carry the haligan by hand and place the flat head in my belt and if I am the hook man, I carry the hook by hand and place a pickhead in my belt). On my belt, I also have a carabiner to facilitiate self rescue or RIT ops. The belt also serves as a type of back support. For an emergency bail out, the plan is as follows: 1) find and force a window 2)tie the end of my rope with the carabiner to a tool or other anchor 3) tie a munter hitch through the carabiner on my belt 4)egress via the window. I have been blessed that I have not had to bail out of a window using this technique, but through training I am confident in this method. Whatever equipment and method you decide to use, train with it and be confident in it. Remember, bailing out of a window is not plan "A" for us. Plan "A" is to learn how to read a room and always have another means of egress.

Forum Member

Default self rescue

In my own humble opinion, there are many kits and equipment that one can buy or put together him/herself. They all have their pros and cons. I personally prefer a Truck belt/harness. I use this belt as a tool belt, ladder belt, RIT belt, self rescue belt, and back support. On my belt, I keep a small rope bag with 40 ft of rescue rope with a carabiner tied on the end using a figure 8 on a bight. I also carry a carabiner connected to the belt. The belt is not bulky or cumbersome. The plan for a self rescue is as follows:

1) tie carabiner end of the rope to a tool and make an anchor point
    2) find and force a window
    3) tie a munter hitch through the other carabiner connected to the belt
    4) egress via the window

Whatever equipment that you decide to use, train with it and be confident in it's abilities and limits. Also, remember that bailing out through a window is not plan "A" for us. Plan "A" is to learn how to read a room and fire growth and have another means of egress established in order to avoid emergency bail outs.

Forum Member

I made it to the tower today, had a great time learning different things but also had a few painful times trying to learn better ways to get out the window. I had purchased some 7mm rope to use as a trial so I didnt ruin my high temp 7.5mm rope. I also bought a chunk of 11/16" tubular webbing and works great as edge protection. Despite a couple first rough runs, and my rope getting caught up on my biner for my flashlight and getting hung up in midair, haha it seems like the kit will work well. The tower I used it at is all brick and I had a hard time getting the crosby hook to grab on the window sill and that brick any advice,suggestions?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Weight

I dont mean to offend anyone on here but where does it end? Im a young 24 yr old firefighter assigned to a truck company in a busy major east coast city fire department. I consider myself to be in very good shape, ive been otj for 4 years and volunteered for three prior to that. We run a 4 man truck and everyone works in single man teams. All this "progressive" safety oriented firefighting practices are starting to wear me out. Off the top of my head this is what I estimate that I have to operate with on a typical scene
    35 Lbs of Turn out
    35 lbs of pack
    7 lbs halligan
    10 lbs ny roof hook
    7 lbs of hand tools (spanner for gas, wire cutters, spare gloves, flashlight)
    140 lbs hd truss const ext ladder
    5 lb radio
    12 lb TIC
    Another 10 lbs of water weight when the hose jockies soak me when im pullin ceiling for em

thats 245 pounds of equipment I only weight 185!
    And if I find I vic I gotta drag em out?

and now ive gotta add how much weight for a harness, rope, a special hook and a descender? Its getting outta control Most of the guys in the FDNY will tell you the thing is annoying and is heavy and just makes the job harder. Turn out pants were found to put an excessive ammount of heat fatigue on ffs but in the excuse for safety we can never go less. Im just saying carrying a rope is one thing but all this equipment is wearing us out. Good fireground tactics, Alot of ground ladders and heads up thinking can get most ppl out of most trouble and thats what we have to hope for. Cause if we have to carry every tool for every job then might as well throw a saw and a pump and hose and every other tool on the rig on my back. Its all about 'Risk benefit" well heat stroke and exhaustion are very big risks! Sorry for the rant! haha
    Last edited by greggreg259; 07-19-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Where are you located?

For me, I am comfortable comming out a window with nothing but a section of rope and a tool to anchor to. Saves money, as you have no harness to worry about, no extra 8s and carabiners, and unless your gear was ordered that way, you will have to have loops sewn on.

The method I am referring to is the one where you anchor the rope, wrap it around your back, hold both the anchor end and working end in your hands, and use your body as a brake. With proper training this is a very simple and quick way to exit a window.
    i fully agree with you this works great!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by greggreg259 View Post
    35 Lbs of Turn out
    35 lbs of pack
    7 lbs halligan
    10 lbs ny roof hook
    7 lbs of hand tools (spanner for gas, wire cutters, spare gloves, flashlight)
    140 lbs hd truss const ext ladder
    5 lb radio
    12 lb TIC
    Another 10 lbs of water weight when the hose jockies soak me when im pullin ceiling for em

thats 245 pounds of equipment I only weight 185!
    And if I find I vic I gotta drag em out?
    You must've started believing all that crap told you told your girl about this (fingers held just apart) is 8 inches! All kidding aside, your numbers seem a little on the high side, but your point is taken, some of us are pack mules. Many hands make light work, but most politicians don't care, they want both: "strong like bull, smart like Einstein!" I'm still convinced the key to a safer fireground is staffing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I guess

Really not trying to be a dick here but. ... Yea this stuff really does weight this much, whether we think about it or not. I really dont think im exaggerating too much. Go for a 30 min run. Then go for a 30 min run with 2.5 pound weights in your hands. Then 5 pounders. See how much it wears you out. Its the little things that really add up
    Plus im boared at work

Halligan
    http://www.allhandsfire.com/page/AHF...obars/FHU-PB30
    Hook
    http://www.allhandsfire.com/page/AHF...oks/FHU-RH-3_8
    We carry a Drager Gen1 Thermal which really is about 10 pounds
    SCBA
    Drager
    Weight for turnouts and SCBA
    http://www.fama.org/img/pdf/Firefigh...WhitePaper.pdf

Id definately say the misc items are 3-4 pounds

Ladder 24 ft alum truss
    http://www.fireladder.com/truss.html

And I totally Agree.. Staffing is KEY!!!!
    Last edited by greggreg259; 07-19-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Forum Member

I understand what you're saying that the more you carry the heavier and more tired you will be. Along those same lines I also agree that working out and being physically fit is super important, and agree that every firefighter should understand fire behavior and know when its time to go, but on the same note ya never know when the unexpected may happen. The kit I made for myself is pretty light. The only thing I notice is that its has made my pocket bulky but I think thats because I have too much rope so I will probably improve that by not carrying as much rope. I also can see a bailout kit being used for other thing such as mayday emergencies. If for some reason your SCBA malfunctions and youve tried all your resources and close to a window call a mayday, tell em your going to bailout and go. The money I spent is worth my life (i hope haha) if I ever get into a bad situation, its not heavy and I dont notice the weight, and I can use it for more then one reason.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by greggreg259 View Post
    Go for a 30 min run. Then go for a 30 min run with 2.5 pound weights in your hands. Then 5 pounders. See how much it wears you out.
    Sorry, wasn't trying to call you out on the actual weights, just have a little fun. How many days can I have between the 30 min. runs? No doubt any little bit adds up quickly when you start exerting yourself. Again, this is why even small FD's require adequate staffing, a job in a 3 story multiple dwelling has the same requisite tasks regardless of who's stickers on on the trucks windows and this doing more with less every year literally is "killing us".

MembersZone Subscriber

Default haha

No problem brother, like I said slow day at the station, I can either watch springer or sit on here and look at fire equipment. If I want springer we just have to wait for a medical assist. I know man we are our own worst enemy, we do more with less and then they just give us less.....

Forum Member

A question comes up.When are you guys finding TIME to tie anything? If I got time to tie something I would call it a GOOD day.Even using the body wrap,I've got a big 'biner on the end so I can clip and go.And I've since modified my pack to include a descender. T.C.

Thread Information