Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default E-One vs. Pierce 100ftplatform

Looking to purchase a 100ft aluminum platform , what do you think of each?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you know you are going aluminum you should strongly consider Sutphen. They have been building aluminum platforms for 40 something years.

Forum Member

did he mention stuphen?

i am pretty sure...nope, make that 100% sure, he asked about e-one or pierce.

perhaps you may want to answer his question.

so like, if i go into a restaurant and the waitress asks me if i want beef or chicken, and i answer...i'll have the fish.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ajh0210 View Post
    If you know you are going aluminum you should strongly consider Sutphen. They have been building aluminum platforms for 40 something years.
    Not to mention that animal they call Sutphen makes a type of rig thats a world different than the other two.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deputyhunter View Post
    did he mention stuphen?

i am pretty sure...nope, make that 100% sure, he asked about e-one or pierce.

perhaps you may want to answer his question.

so like, if i go into a restaurant and the waitress asks me if i want beef or chicken, and i answer...i'll have the fish.
    Typical kool-aid drinker response. Firefighter807 would be proud. The gentleman asked about aluminum platforms....What was wrong with offering information about Sutphen (I mean other than the fact that their towers are better than E-Wont or Piece?)

(hehehehehehehehehehehehehe)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Look at what ever you want and as many as you can. Pay particular attention to the shape of the bucket, the amount of lip edge you can stand on on the outside of the bucket and overall scrub area.

Recent E-One's have a better bucket design than just a few years ago, instead of the square or rectangular shape they have angles leading edges to give you better approaches to objectives not parallel to the chassis.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 06-18-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Forum Member

Bucket design as mentioned above is a good point, bucket size...thats a whole other topic. Got with what you prefer, but if you consider the Larder bucket, I suggest you drive one first.
    I wil admit, I am partial to E-One. I have one now (135' stick) and have one being built (100' tiller). The one point I would like to make that to me would almost definitly point my (your) decision towards E-One is that excluding operator error in some fashion, they have never had a ladder failure, and since they were mentioned, neither has Sutphen. To me that speaks volumes, if it's my *** hangin out in the bucket I would definitly feel safer knowing that. E-One, has also been building Aluminum ladders Longer than Pierce (obviously) so they have way more experiance than pierce. To top it off, over 20 years ago they began production of the 135' Ladder. Granted it's not a tower, but back then, the engineering behind that is staggering, and they pulled it off, and with the exception of the Bronto, no one (to my knowledge) has reched that heigth...and all 135' of that sits on a 14' Jack span.
    What ever you dedide I hope it works for you, but I think it's a no Brainer, E-One would be the wise choice.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought we would have our Aluminum Aerial ready this year but we can't get enough Aluminum. The German guys tell me the number 1 priority for Aluminum is beer cans.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaronl32 View Post
    I thought we would have our Aluminum Aerial ready this year but we can't get enough Aluminum. The German guys tell me the number 1 priority for Aluminum is beer cans.
    No all the aluminum is being used for ground ladders.

Forum Member

What is the price and weight difference between the Alunimum and Steel aerial?
    Anyone know why Sutphen doesent make a rear mount tower?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    Sutphen doesn't make a rear mount anything that I know of.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    I don't remember the Exact Weights To give you an Idea, In my town there are 2 aerials. Ours is a 1989 135' E-One, it weighs in at about 65,000 lbs. The other Aerial is a 2003 Pierce Tower (steel) It weighs in right around 89,000 lbs.
    Granted there is A LOT that has changed in fire apparatus between 1989 and 2003, but like I said it gives you a pretty good idea.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Sutphen doesn't make a rear mount anything that I know of.
    They built a rear mount pumper for a department near us. I know, I know, we're talking ladders here but you said "rear mount anything"

Forum Member

I don't remember the Exact Weights To give you an Idea, In my town there are 2 aerials. Ours is a 1989 135' E-One, it weighs in at about 65,000 lbs. The other Aerial is a 2003 Pierce Tower (steel) It weighs in right around 89,000 lbs.
    Granted there is A LOT that has changed in fire apparatus between 1989 and 2003, but like I said it gives you a pretty good idea.
    One of the mains reasons for the extra weight in the Pierce tower compared to the E-One stick is that the stick has a tip load of 250 lbs and the tower has a tip load of 1000 lbs. To get that 1000 lb tip load at any angle you need counter weight, hence the added 24,000 lbs. I doubt that the Pierce actually weighs 89,000 lbs though. The GVW may be 89,000 lbs but it most likely weighs around 80,000 lbs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    They built a rear mount pumper for a department near us. I know, I know, we're talking ladders here but you said "rear mount anything"
    Can't argue!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Sutphen 110' platform, with stainless body, 500 GWT, and all the other accessories falls in the 73K weight range, I believe. The tip load on these is 1000 lbs, too. The bucket design on these leaves a bit to be desired, I wish the bucket on the SPH100 was available 5 years ago when we got the truck.

As for the weight, I believe that part of the reason that Sutphens save on the weight is using torsion bars as opposed to a torque box for the aerial.

Forum Member

Sutphen builds MM's for a bunch of reasons.Keeps the overall height lower,they haven't strayed from this proven design in years.There were other reasons but I don't remember them all at the moment. Some people like Rm's.I never understood the logic,you're putting all that weight at the END of the frame.Where's the weight SUPPOSED to be on a vehicle? Not at frame end.We run MM's,have for years.In those years I haven't seen a "reachable"job that the MM couldn't reach. In the arguement on E-one vs Pierce you have to compare each ones unique features to see if either one fits your needs.E-one has stood the test of time in Boston so it's proven technology(ladders,not platforms).Pierce is relatively new to aluminum platforms and does a few things differently than E-one. See if you can get a demo of each in the area you're planning on operating. Good luck,T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-19-2009 at 10:20 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another big positive on the E-One side is the jack system. Hands down the best jacking system in aerials. Low slung, narrow spread and a small footprint. You need to prioritize what's the real important stuff and then tick off the list of which does what better.

Forum Member

Proven designs and operational ergonomics are important items to consider. Equally important on any 20+ year purchase is the availability of a well trained and preferably EVT certified dealership or other service facilty. Trucks need maintenance. I'd just make sure the service provider is as reliable as the vehicle you spec! Good Luck

Forum Member

Yo Baron,since when Jagermeister come in cans? And German beer comes in KEGS.Haven't you seen the pictures of the European beer trucks with the wooden kegs? You ARE losin' it! hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Look at service and warranties too. I havent seen one for the new Pierce platform, but E-One has a lifetime frame (including crossmembers) and torque box warranty.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Yo Baron,since when Jagermeister come in cans? And German beer comes in KEGS.Haven't you seen the pictures of the European beer trucks with the wooden kegs? You ARE losin' it! hehe T.C.
    And Rumple Minze comes in glass bottles!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Another big positive on the E-One side is the jack system. Hands down the best jacking system in aerials. Low slung, narrow spread and a small footprint.
    I agree that E-One has the better stabilization system, assuming Pierce uses the same design as found on their steel aerials.

E-One has been building aluminum ladders longer and that is their specialty. Confidants at Pierce will tell you that the reason they manufacture an aluminum aerials is for those departments who want a Pierce and absolutely won't accept a steel ladder.

A deal breaker for me would be post-sales support.

Something else to consider in this economy might be the financial stability of the companies.

And by all means, demo both brands; not just in your fire station parking lot, but at the tight spots in your district. It's a large and long-term investment, and an important decision.

C6

Forum Member

Default Ask Chicago FD about Lifetime Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    Look at service and warranties too. I havent seen one for the new Pierce platform, but E-One has a lifetime frame (including crossmembers) and torque box warranty.
    CFD had so many frame delaminations from the "integrated frame and torque box" that the local delaer finally gave up on fixing them.

That dealer has been replaced with a different E-One dealer.

I hope they take that into consideration on their next aerial ladder purchase.
    Last edited by Hehateme; 06-19-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Forum Member

We love our E-One. We have the 95 ft. rearmount tower. The jacking system blows away everyone else. Jacks in half the time, you can step over them not walk around them. If you can open the cab doors you can jack the truck, no measuring or estimating to see if they'll fit. Smooth bucket controls and a decent size and shape to the bucket. Seeing how we are surronded by saltwater we wont have a corrosion problem with the aluminum.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information