Thread: dept. tones

Forum Member

Default dept. tones

Hello,
    Im in the process of joining an explorer program at the local station and I would like to buy a minitor pager and putting in the freq. and the tones but I dont know how to find out what the dept tones are so does anybody know where i could find them out.
    Thanks

Forum Member

First of all, wait until you get on the explorer program. If you show up and already have a pager you will be labeled as a GIANT TOOL.

No one on here is gonna know exactly where you live, so my best advice is wait until you get on and ask one of the officers or chiefs.

You have alot to learn before you even go out buffing calls so take it safe, keep your ears open, mouth shut, and enjoy the ride. (advice from someone who not too long ago was in the same position)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

At least where I live we are not allowed to give out the frequency so I wouldn't even bother until you join. Besides what good would it do if you can't go on calls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LKQVFD512 View Post
    At least where I live we are not allowed to give out the frequency
    Stuff like this is no secret anyway. FCC licenses and frequencies for a particular group or organization are available on the FCC website. Tones are easy to figure out too.

soontobeff, take what RFRDxplorer says seriously. He is correct that if you show up with your own stuff before actually joining, you will be labeled a whacker at the least.

FYI though, to figure out the frequency of the tones, you need to first find out the radio frequency that the dept and record their tones going off.

If you have the luxury of owning a spectrum analyzer, you can use it to determine the frequency of the tones, but if not, you can download some simple software packages that will do the same basic thing. You may have to hunt around, but once you find one, if you play the recording of the tones and pick up the audio with a computer microphone, you should be able to get the spectrum analyzer to display the frequency of the tone.

Not the most straightforward method if you aren't familiar with the equipment, but it does work. I used it to figure out our Chief's tones so I could reprogram his pager to use them.

Forum Member

Wait until you join and get one from your department. Otherwise maybe get a scanner. Would probably be cheaper.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    First of all, wait until you get on the explorer program. If you show up and already have a pager you will be labeled as a GIANT TOOL.

No one on here is gonna know exactly where you live, so my best advice is wait until you get on and ask one of the officers or chiefs.

You have alot to learn before you even go out buffing calls so take it safe, keep your ears open, mouth shut, and enjoy the ride. (advice from someone who not too long ago was in the same position)
    i just want to have it to keep at home but i think im going with a scanner instead

Worldwide Menace

AlexYates, is that you?

-Damien

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by LKQVFD512 View Post
    At least where I live we are not allowed to give out the frequency so I wouldn't even bother until you join.
    Not allowed to give them out? Does your department's leadership know that it takes about 30 seconds to go onto the internet to find out what it is? And what do they care if anyone has it anyway?

Using your screen name, I have your department's dispatch frequency, PL tone, and FCC license number.

I don't mean to take this thread off-course, but people need to know that FCC data isn't secret or classified.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I'm sure you are right but the department wouldn't give it to me and I don't really need it anyways because I have a portable scanner.

Thanks for the information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Not allowed to give them out? Does your department's leadership know that it takes about 30 seconds to go onto the internet to find out what it is? And what do they care if anyone has it anyway?

Using your screen name, I have your department's dispatch frequency, PL tone, and FCC license number.

I don't mean to take this thread off-course, but people need to know that FCC data isn't secret or classified.
    That was almost too easy wasn't it!

They even have a facebook page

In my department, us explorers do not recive a pager until we have completed a six month probationary and training period. You don't need one until you are trained. But, if you want to get one, buy one, and google the dispatching agency of your county/city and you should be able to find the programable scanner frequencies.

Forum Member

I also wasn't granted that until a probationary period of several months, as well as training. A guy I know who does fireproofing new jersey told me that you are able to get it sooner. Don't know how though.

Forum Member

You guys keep confusing paging tones with radio frequencies. They're two different things. Yes, radio frequencies are no secret. That is what you put in your scanner.

The frequency of the paging tones is something that most people will not know. The only people that would know are people who do the pager programming or tech service, and probably the people who order them new. The only way to find out what they are is to find one of those people and ask them.

As for wanting a pager, I don't have a problem with someone buying one on their own and getting it setup like that. I would have killed to have that when I was an explorer that was still in training. Why? SO I CAN LISTEN TO OUR CALLS. And so I can put it on alert at night and not listen to everyone else's calls. Having the pager doesn't mean your responding.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

In my opinion, buy a scanner. Wait until you are issued a dept. pager like I am doing. With a scanner, you can also listen to dozens of other towns and cities, which can be very handy or interesting.

To answer your question about where you can find frequencies, visit http://www.radioreference.com/ . Its a great "reference" and has a lot of valuable information. Hope this helps

Forum Member

Our post only has a few pagers. Our main form of dispatch is an explorer on his phone, computer, or scanner monitoring. These guys are right. You don't even really need a pager at all. When, and I stress when, you are cleared the information will get to you one way or another.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    ahhahahahaha ditto

Thread Information