Forum Member

Default Is there any hope in CA, or anywhere?

I have applied been looking forward to many tests in California only to find that they have been cancelled, Orange County, LAFD, most likely LACoFD, it's very depressing. On top of that it seems as if every hiring process throughout the country is on hold. I live in CA and would like to stay within at least 3 states of CA due to family living here. It just seems like nobody is hiring... Either that or they are ONLY hiring medics. I have my FF1 Certififcate, EMT-1, and am currently taking Fire Science classes at Bakersfield College... It just seems like there is no hope for anywhere to be hiring. I know eventually I'll get the job, I guess the economy is kind of putting everything on hold it seems. What do you more experienced FF's and Captains, etc, think?

MembersZone Subscriber

There are jobs out there its just were you are looking. Yes, most cities and counties are on hiring freezes because of the economy. Some places are still hiring, but not in the volume they were before. Just keep looking and don't narrow your search to much. Also getting your Medic Cert will defiantly help in the long run with jobs, and in the mean time it should provide you with a stable job. That's were I am at right now. I took my Medic to get a FF job, but some of the places I wanted to apply are not testing this year but at lest I have a stable job and I am gaining some work experience as a Medic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just keep pluggin away. The ones who don't give up, are the ones who get the jobs. You just can't let it frustrate you. In the meantime, keep bettering your chances, by gaining experience and improving your skills.

Permanently Removed

goosfraba- Things are picking up in California if you know where to look. I invite to join the new, free, local networking site- California Firefighter.com.

Its not a job service, but we are there to chat and share information. Please check it out- www.californiafirefighter.com

Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with you guys there are jobs out there you just have to be willing to go where the jobs are. I recoment the site firerecruit.com it post all new openings pretty much as they come open and it is for the entire USA. I know Las Vegas is doing a testing process in early 2010 but you have to put your app in in september. And as the other guys said never give up i have been at this since 2003 with the exception of the last 3 years. I have been in the military for three year and i joined to help me get a job as a firefighter. and i think it has paid off because i have an interview on the 24th and it is for a department that is hiring 30-40 people and i have a really good chance to get hired. And to ad to that i am in like 4 other hiring processes right now you just have to go get the jobs.

Permanently Removed

The post above nails it! The problem with most Candidates today is that they are too picky and only want to work in certain spots. This mind set tells me one thing- You don't want the job bad enough.

When you are ready to get out of your comfort zone and apply in other areas, then you are ready.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I agree i have to get my wife thinking the same way i do. And i already told her i would take this job over going back to my hometown she can go back without me.

Just an FYI for the guy who started this post:

I just checked and in Cal right now there are over 100 Departments hiring and in those they include orange county they just switched the dates, LAFD, Beverly Hills FD, And LA county FD.

I forgot to ask do you volunteer anywhere right now? Because if not you might want to start getting into volunteering. That is the way to get your foot in the door and also gain alot of experience that you wont get just by sitting at home F***ing Off. You can get all the certs in the world but how does that help if you have to experience to go with it and you dont even know what your getting yourself into. You might go to you first fire and relize this is not for you and beleive me it happens all the time. At Least you won't spent all that time and money in try to get hired somewhere and then you get there and you find out its not for you. Just alittle advice from someone trying to help you out just dont take anything i say the wrong way i am just trying to help out.
    Last edited by jtucker1384; 06-23-2009 at 05:28 AM.

Forum Member

Keep at it!!!! As everyone else is saying just keep testing and plugging away and make sure you make the most out of anything that is offered. The best advice I ever received was from a FDNY Batalion Chief who told me that for that one spot I am trying to get there are 5 or 6 people working harder then I am to get it and that when I get the chance to interview I better be well rounded or have something standout about myself. Good Luck with the search I am right there with you!

Forum Member

Things will change soon, at least with the bigger departments. We are just about at the end of the fiscal year and new budgets will be solidified very soon. They may not be bigger than last year, but you can bet there will be money to hire new people as others retire.

Don't give up.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by jtucker1384 View Post
    I just checked and in Cal right now there are over 100 Departments hiring and in those they include orange county they just switched the dates, LAFD, Beverly Hills FD, And LA county FD.
    Orange County and Beverly Hills- Are you sure? I dont see where BH is hiring and besides, sometimes they do Laterals anyways.

Ok- If you are really, REALLY serious about a current REAL fire job in California- Click here- http://www.californiafirefighter.com...hread.php?t=52

If that doesnt interest you, then you dont want it bad enough.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-24-2009 at 03:48 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=CALFFBOU;1073473]Orange County - Are you Sure?

Yeah they are only accepting them on sept 10 and 11th

MembersZone Subscriber

Whenever you see a post started with someone with 0 post.............. the topic is questionable, but fun! A conversation stimulator! You make the call!!!!!
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Forum Member

[QUOTE=jtucker1384;1073476]
    Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Orange County - Are you Sure?

Yeah they are only accepting them on sept 10 and 11th
    Wrong, that has been canceled. Go to their main website not anywhere else for your information.

"Test Cycle 4 - Cancelled as of 4/29/09

Applications Accepted - September 10 & 11, 2009 (48 Hours)

Written Exam - October 24, 2009

Panel Interviews - January 2010"

CALFBOUU - I will surely take you up on your offer to join californiafirefighter.com

Thank you all for your responses. I'm looking for work in the meantime and even a normal job is hard to come by right now, at least in Southern California. For the guy who said that I am "f***ing around sitting on my ***"... that's the last thing I am doing right now.

Forum Member

Smile

I agree i have to get my wife thinking the same way i do. And i already told her i would take this job over going back to my hometown she can go back without me.

Just an FYI for the guy who started this post:

I forgot to ask do you volunteer anywhere right now? Because if not you might want to start getting into volunteering. That is the way to get your foot in the door and also gain alot of experience that you wont get just by sitting at home F***ing Off. You can get all the certs in the world but how does that help if you have to experience to go with it and you dont even know what your getting yourself into. You might go to you first fire and relize this is not for you and beleive me it happens all the time. At Least you won't spent all that time and money in try to get hired somewhere and then you get there and you find out its not for you. Just alittle advice from someone trying to help you out just dont take anything i say the wrong way i am just trying to help out.
    LA county is the only one hiring of all that you listed. FF1 is more than just a cert, at least here in California it is. It's a full on academy that runs about the same as the Kern County and Bakersfield Fire Department academies. Very well run, very realistic, and LOTS of fire. I KNOW it's for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=goosfraba;1074266]

Wrong, that has been canceled. Go to their main website not anywhere else for your information.

"Test Cycle 4 - Cancelled as of 4/29/09

Applications Accepted - September 10 & 11, 2009 (48 Hours)

Written Exam - October 24, 2009

Panel Interviews - January 2010"

CALFBOUU - I will surely take you up on your offer to join californiafirefighter.com

Thank you all for your responses. I'm looking for work in the meantime and even a normal job is hard to come by right now, at least in Southern California. For the guy who said that I am "f***ing around sitting on my ***"... that's the last thing I am doing right now.
    Sorry i didn't mean it like that. I appolagize if it seemed that way

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you tried the BLM?
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

Permanently Removed

Go to www.californiafirefighter.com and look up "california conservaton corps". Its a start.

Thread Information