Thread: 2009 Cedap

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2009 Cedap

FY2009 Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program (CEDAP)

Department of Homeland Security
    Source: DHS FEMA, National Preparedness Directorate (NPD)
    Reference Number: 97.096
    Summary: The FY 2009 CEDAP complements the FEMA National Preparedness Directorate’s other major grant programs to enhance regional response capabilities, mutual aid, and interoperable communications by providing technology and equipment, together with training and technical assistance required to operate that equipment, to public safety agencies in smaller jurisdictions and certain metropolitan areas.
    Objectives: The FY 2009 CEDAP complements the FEMA National Preparedness Directorate’s other major grant programs to enhance regional response capabilities, mutual aid, and interoperable communications by providing technology and equipment, together with training and technical assistance required to operate that equipment, to public safety agencies in smaller jurisdictions and certain metropolitan areas.
    Description:

FY 2009 CEDAP funds equipment and training in five categories: extrication devices; thermal imaging, night vision and video surveillance tools; chemical, biological and radiological detection tools; information technology and risk management tools; and vehicle tracking tools. This competitive program is a direct assistance program, not a grant program, and FEMA will provide the equipment and technical assistance directly to the selected jurisdictions. This means that CEDAP awards are not monetary awards; applicants may select one item from the menu of available equipment choices, and successful applicants will receive the item they specified in their application.

Obligations
    FY 07 $38,650,960; FY 08 $17,600,000; and FY 09 $5,710.00
    Deadlines:

CEDAP FY 2009 was an extension of the FY 2008 program. Due to reduced funding in FY 2009, and an effort to get as much equipment out to the responder community as possible, there was no FY 2009 application period. Qualified FY 2008 applicants that did not receive awards in FY 2008 were considered for award in the FY 2009 CEDAP. It is anticipated that awards for 2009 will be announced in the August 2009 timeframe.

Applicants should direct any questions regarding CEDAP awards process to the Centralized Scheduling and Information Desk (CSID) at 1-800-368-6498 or via e-mail at askcsid@dhs.gov. If the CSID representative cannot answer your question, you call may be routed to FEMA's technical agent for CEDAP located at Ft. Huachuca, Arizona at 1-866-659-9170.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Interesting way to handle it but with that much of a cut in 2 years makes sense to treat it like an excess fund situation.

Forum Member

Question

What about those of us that were not eligable to apply for Cedap last year due to receiving an AFG grant in 07? This kind of hangs all of us out to dry, without even a chance this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mike did you leave a zero out or is it 5 thousand Seven Hundred and change? If that is all it is that might make 1 award.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hopefully left out 3 zeros.

MidWest, if they ran a real app period program it would take a huge chunk out of it. And odds are they could have made it ineligible for anyone getting AFG from 2006 on so might not have had a chance anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Mike did you leave a zero out or is it 5 thousand Seven Hundred and change? If that is all it is that might make 1 award.
    Mike did not leave out any zero's that is how it's posted on the website for RKB. I would have to believe that it's $5,710,000.

Forum Member

So help me out here guys. I applied for CEDAP in 2008 and was not awarded. Still have yet to be ever awarded for AFG as well. Does this mean nothing to do on my part and they just run my 08 application through the mill again?.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Sounds like it.

Forum Member

Thanks Brian.....

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I would imagine if they're doing that then they'll be doing the status update thing on the app site so might be clues in there.

Forum Member

Default Cedap Call

CEDAP office called our house yesterday and asked for update info. They told us we will hear from them in a couple weeks. Any other calls? I feel like this is a good sign
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone this year, might be the last.

Congress Eliminates CEDAP Funding

The Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program has been completely cut from the FY 2010 House of Representatives and Senate budgets and also from the President's budget request. Since the program's inception in FY 2005, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has award thousands of grants to smaller jurisdictions who are not eligible for funding through the Urban Areas Security Initiative grant program. The program received $8 million in FY 2009, $17.6 million in FY 2008 and $33.7 million in FY2007.

According to FEMA, "CEDAP seeks to enhance regional response capabilities, mutual aid, and interoperable communications by providing technology and equipment, along with the training required to operate that equipment, to law enforcement and emergency responder agencies in smaller jurisdictions and certain metropolitan areas."

In the past, CEDAP grants have been used to purchase communications equipment, chemical detection sensors, thermal imaging tools and personal protective equipment.

The IACP is strongly opposed to eliminating the CEDAP program and will work with Congress and the Administration to fully restore it.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Wasn't the best usage of funds, far from being as efficient as AFG. There were some good points to it but from a fire service perspective there are better places for the 25% of the funding that ended up in our realm. 75% had to go to Law Enforcement so not like it was really a program for us anyway. Once they took the TICs and HRTs out of it wasn't too much left with the cost of ownership of some of the items. They would be better off just turning it into a TIC program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcmechenvfd View Post
    CEDAP office called our house yesterday and asked for update info. They told us we will hear from them in a couple weeks. Any other calls? I feel like this is a good sign
    Mac got my call this morning. When I said somethiong about already getting the dj last year I was told that additional funding has come up and they went back to the list. Something was said about folks will be getting some good news soon. (Hope she meant me)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Contact info

How do we check our application to be sure the contact information is correct? We have a new chief and my home number has changed since we submitted.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ksmith31 View Post
    How do we check our application to be sure the contact information is correct? We have a new chief and my home number has changed since we submitted.

I have not been able to find the area where you can check your application to verify status etc. If you log into RKB, you will see "MyRKB" click on that then on "MyProfile". This will give you some basic info. Any changes, you need to call them at 1-877-FEMA-RKB (1-877-336-2752).

MembersZone Subscriber

Ksmith they called directly to confirm the information.

Forum Member

We just received our award notification for our police Department & VFD for hydraulic Tools
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my email this morning. Getting a thermal monocular. Ought to be fun.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Got my email this morning. Getting a thermal monocular. Ought to be fun.
    Follow up to this. The award comes with a trip to New Orleans for a 2 day training on the equipment. Guess who is "not" getting to make that trip.

Thread Information