Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Station Grants and AFG2009 Question

Wow been a while since I have been on here, well we are going to put in for the station grant, we have a grant writer going to write it for us, we use the same one to write our grant for a new tanker, my question is when can we start seeing the 1199a's and the DJ letters for 2009 afg getting kinda antsy if ya know what I mean. Been a couple of years since we got the afg grant 3 years ago we where awarded a brand new class A Eng, keeping our fingers tightly crossed for both the station and afg grant.

AFG has not even gone to peer review - figure at least 2-3 months yet before 1199a's

Forum Member

LVFD301 I know just about everyone on here has ask you for the narrative for your safer grant. You have some interesting points you applied for and would a copy to look at. Thanks in advance

dtaa665199@aol.com

I think that AFG peer review is starting in the next couple of weeks. I was invited to attend, but it is right in the middle of my vacation, so I turned it down.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Peer starts Monday for AFG. Mid-August would be the earliest we'll see anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vol or Combination dept?

Hey All,

Can anyone help with this? If a volunteer department has a chief who receives a small annual stipend, should the application for Station Grant Funding identify the dept type as volunteer or combination department? Would there be an advantage to being identified as one type over another?

Thanks

You can select "Paid On-Call/Stipend" in your department characteristics.

Forum Member

Hey SLY
    The chief is probably the only one recieveing the stipend. He probably gets this to do all the paperwork and such. I would probably answer it as volunteer.
    Just my two cents worth.

What do you think?
    Glenn

Understood Chief.

According to AFG a combination department is "An agency or organization in which at least one member receives financial compensation for their services and/or at least one member does not receive financial compensation for their services, except as defined below. (Paid On-Call/Stipend)

Since this program makes no clarification on funds going to career vs. volunteer, I don't see how it would matter. You should probably be answering the same way you answer your AFG application.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Like Sly said, here probably doesn't matter since they aren't making any determination between what types of departments get funded like they do with AFG on the limits between the types.

Normally 1 person on stipend like the Chief getting a little pocket change for handling all the paperwork I wouldn't call POC/Stipend myself. After all he/she is receiving it for the paperwork, not the Chiefly fireground duties. Old department had an administrator position which was a weekday 40 hour job that the Chief also held. Per SOPs he was not the Chief during the weekdays, just the admin so he wasn't paid as an operational member of the department. Split hairs in the title and you're back to an all-vollie organization by DHS definition. After all by that definition Houston is a combination department because there are still volunteers in the ranks, although no new people are allowed to join and run so it will go away completely soon.

Thread Information