Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default North Myrtle Beach Fire Dept.

I Am 19 With Basically No Fire Training Experience At All But Would It Would Be A Dream To Become A Fire Fighter In North Myrtle Beach What Do I Have To Do To Get It What Are The Requirments Is It A Low Paying Job? Is Is Really Hard To Get In Please Anyone Answer Back With Some Kindof Information

I'd start by contacting the North Myrtle Beach Fire Department. Either call or look them up online. I'd imagine they'll have their requirements and testing announcements posted somewhere there.

Otherwise, if you're serious, you should look into enrolling in a fire academy and EMT school. Eventually, you'll probably need to advance to a paramedic, but maybe you'll be able to get hired right out of the box, even though that's becoming rare.

Best of wishes. Pete

The City of North Myrtle Beach is a Public Safety Agency - that means you will be cross trained to Firefighter & Police Officer.

http://www.nmb.us/pubsafety

Excerpt from recent job posting:

Position Title: Public Safety Officer
    Salary Range: $36,451 - $54,676
    Date Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009
    Closing Date: Open Until Filled
    Description: Under close supervision exercises responsibilities for the enforcement of state and local laws relating to public safety and welfare. Performs various other public safety activities as required to include fire prevention and suppression. Exercises independent judgment in dealing with dangerous or unusual situations, exercising safety practices and procedures. Works under stressful, high-risk conditions. Acquires and maintains State certification for Police Officer I and Firefighter I. Reports to the on duty Fire or Police Supervisor as required; also reports to the Incident Commander as required by the National Incident Management System.
    Experience: High school graduate and minimum age 21, good physical condition; possession of all members of both upper and lower extremities; must have vision correctable to 20/20; good character and reputation; possession of a valid South Carolina drivers license. Prefer one to two years of law enforcement and fire suppression experience or any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience.

Full description available here:
    http://www.nmb.us/Jobs.aspx - click the Public Safety Officer link.

There is no EMS component listed in the Job requirements and nothing I could find in a quick search of the City's web site so I am assuming that EMS is handled by a 3rd party or hospital based service or services.

Oh and one last tip (and I don't mean this as a dig on you at all) - stop typing each word with a capital letter. If you do follow your desired path and become a NMB PSO (or pretty much any Fire / EMS related path) - you're going to have to write (and type) a lot of reports - may as well start practicing how to do them correctly now.

Best of luck.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

So that means that it's not a "fire fighter" say if i worked there im just considered as a public safety officer?

MembersZone Subscriber

Horry County is hiring FF/EMT's in the same area. Only requirement is to be a NR EMT. We will put you through rookie school. Apply at horrycounty.org

Quote Originally Posted by radams123 View Post
    So that means that it's not a "fire fighter" say if i worked there im just considered as a public safety officer?
    Not sure exactly what you're asking (or worried about) here - but yes you'd be a PSO with NMB.

I honestly don't know any more about NMB that what I researched & posted here. They may in fact have Firefighter only positions that they just aren't hiring for right now. Your best bet is to contact them directly and see what positions they have.

If you can - visit a station (take food - that's always a bonus). Check with the officer and ask if it's a good time to visit and tell him / her why you're there (if it's a bad time then see when would be a good time & come back then - leave the food). Then talk to the firefighters themselves.

Once again - good luck with your quest.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

If its what you really want then try and branch out. Instead of just looking at Myrtle Beach Fire look at other places that are hiring right now and alot of them you don't need any experience.

Yes, North Myrtle Beach is Public Safety. There has been talk of the Public Safety Department splitting into separate Fire and Police departments, but this has been going on for several years and in this budget climate it is highly doubtful. There are some good guys working there and they are some of the higher paid in the area probably because of the dual-role element.

EMS for the area is provided by Horry County Fire Rescue which also provides fire protection for unincorporated areas of the county and the town of Aynor.
    http://www.horrycountyfirerescue.com

Other departments with paid staff in the area include:
    Myrtle Beach FD
    Conway FD
    Surfside Beach (Public Safety)
    Murrells Inlet/Garden City FD
    Midway FD
    Calabash FD
    Georgetown City FD
    Georgetown County FR
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

I am a member of the North Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue, and yes we did sometimes help out the police but only on very busy weekends. Police officers also are cross trained to help out the fire department as well so it works both ways. We arent a traditional department, but we are a fire department. Any other questions please let me know. Email me at firewolfeox@hotmail.com

Thread Information