MembersZone Subscriber

Default College and Fire Investigation

I am looking information of college education related to fire investigation. I have a A.A.S. Fire Technology, B.S. Fire Science degree, and working on a M.P.A. Is there other degrees outside of the fire service focus that will work better?

I have gotten interested in fire investigation. I have done some training, and believe I would like to build on it. I have read great posts on fire investigator certifications, but was wondering on the higher education.

Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

Default Fire Investigation Courses

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend checking out www.CFITrainer.net and doing some of the modules they have available. The mods are free, but you may need to buy some books if you don't have them available. You do get credit hours for completing the various modules, which count toward obtaining CFI certification. All you have to do is register and you can get started.
    I too, have taken some small classes involving fire investigation, and have completed a number of the CFITrainer modules (over 40 credit hours so far). I also served as the lead fire inspector at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan for 18 1/2 months, and conducted a number of C&O Investigations while assigned there.
    I am going to the Alabama Fire College later this year for their in-house Fire Investigator course (40 hours) which meets the requirements of NFPA 1033, and is also Pro Board. For more information on that, go to www.alabamafirecollege.com. I could have done it at home as well, but it would have taken a lot longer going once or twice a week for 2 hours. This way, I devote a block of time, and complete it in a week!

Also, George Wendt, can you offer an opinion as to the path of education that I am pursuing thus far? Any other suggestions that you can offer would be greatly appreciated by myself and I am sure the OP as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by opiegvfd View Post
    I am looking information of college education related to fire investigation. I have a A.A.S. Fire Technology, B.S. Fire Science degree, and working on a M.P.A. Is there other degrees outside of the fire service focus that will work better?

I have gotten interested in fire investigation. I have done some training, and believe I would like to build on it. I have read great posts on fire investigator certifications, but was wondering on the higher education.

Thanks in advance!
    I have given this advice many times before. I would look at a MS in Fire Protection Engineering. There are many schools that offer this degree online. For example, Univ. of Md. and WPI.

The FPE allows you to bring a new perspective to fire investigation. With the rewrites of NFPA 921 and 1033, there is a major emphasis on fire dynamics and fire science. The FPE allows you to become licensed in most states as a PE. In addition, you will command a much higher hourly rate than a fire investigator.

Your market would be in major loss investigation and would be working as part of a larger investigative team.

Check out this link for more info:

http://www.sfpe.org/

Good luck.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by opiegvfd View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Eastern Kentucky University offers Associates, Bachelors and Masters in Fire-Safety Engineering with several fields of concerntration and is one of the few in the world to offer a degree focusing on Fire, Arson and Explosion Investigation. Check out the following link or PM me for more info.

http://www.justice.eku.edu/lps/fset/

Thread Information