1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default FDNY Video- Firemen's helpers


  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    664

    Default

    You should have called your thread "What do you carry in your pockets". You might have gotten a response. Real truck work is not of intrest to most here...

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    len1582's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    Maybe because many have never done real truck work.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    You should have called your thread "What do you carry in your pockets". You might have gotten a response. Real truck work is not of intrest to most here...
    Sorry, what were you looking for? I watched the video and even watched the one on the hose beaters. Nice stuff, good work, did we really expect anything less? Funny some rail against those posers who fall all over themselves to buy FDNY stickers and MP gear then you want us to come in here and tell them what they already know?

    Sorry FFFRed: Great Job!! I'm sure you'll now have reached the top of Maslow's pointy shaped thingy!

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    I was going to ask about the reference to firemen's helpers, every engineman I know always had truckmen's footprints on their backs.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I was going to ask about the reference to firemen's helpers, every engineman I know always had truckmen's footprints on their backs.
    Do you use Tide to remove them?
    IAFF

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Do you use Tide to remove them?
    I dont know, you would have to ask an engineman, they were usually MY footprints!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I dont know, you would have to ask an engineman, they were usually MY footprints!

    I have truckie footprints on my gear too. Odd that they always face away from the fire though.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    I have truckie footprints on my gear too. Odd that they always face away from the fire though.
    The trucks motto: "Eat untill you're sleepy-sleep untill you're hungry".
    IAFF

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    len1582's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    I made the move to water. But during my truck years (10) I would tell the other guys in the house "getting in second due to a two room burn out on an engine was like decaf coffee. You think you might get something out of it but don't." Or ask how they did with that third line to the sidewalk...After searching the apartment above and opening up in the fire room.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    The trucks motto: "Eat untill you're sleepy-sleep untill you're hungry".
    Why stand when you can sit...why sit when you can lay down....why stay awake when you can sleep?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    I have truckie footprints on my gear too. Odd that they always face away from the fire though.
    Owch! I like it!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Sorry, what were you looking for? I watched the video and even watched the one on the hose beaters. Nice stuff, good work, did we really expect anything less? Funny some rail against those posers who fall all over themselves to buy FDNY stickers and MP gear then you want us to come in here and tell them what they already know?
    You think that video was posted for people to "come in here and tell them what they already know?" Mine was a comment on the usual lack of interest in a posting that could generate some good talk and learning. Look at any "pockets" "flashlights" or "boots" thread and you will see endless discussion about all sorts of trivial useless things. But no one wants to discuss good basic truck work. Videos are posted of micky mouse fires and people will talk "tactics" ad nauseum about a ten minute fire. I just think it's curious that people only want to discuss sideline issues or book learned safety, but rarely the basics of good firefighting. I'm guilty too. I'm not sure where you get the fdny angle out of it. Truck work is truck work - or should be.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    You think that video was posted for people to "come in here and tell them what they already know?
    No, that was exactly my point, I'm pretty certain it wasn't posted for the rest of the forums to dissect and show the FD where they were wrong. Which is in fact the crux of what most fire video threads devolve into in just one two posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    I'm not sure where you get the fdny angle out of it. Truck work is truck work - or should be.
    I can agree with the tons of useless threads, but I'm wondering what you expect from the same people you're accusing of discussing sideline issues and only learning book safety.

    The fact is that the videos were made by FDNY, posted by a member and likely may serve as a valuable tool for those few citizens who are interested enough to watch and understand what their FD does. As I said, I'm sure no one here is going to tell those who work there anything they don't already know and short of the 20 posts of "good work boys !" what's to be gained?

    If you want to push this thread in a positive direction start it off. Or are you waiting for some unsuspecting (or fully suspecting) fool to make some comment on tactics and have his ***** served to him?
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 06-27-2009 at 10:57 AM.

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,112

    Default

    I always thought the fireman's helper was the PROBIE....


    Ok, now I'm confused.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I always thought the fireman's helper was the PROBIE....


    Ok, now I'm confused.

    Yeah you definitely are confused.

    The proby is probably the guy doing everything, while the 6 year "senior man" criticizes how he checks the rig, how he cooks the meal, how he turns the companies out, how often he "steps up"....

    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Yeah you definitely are confused.

    The proby is probably the guy doing everything, while the 6 year "senior man" criticizes how he checks the rig, how he cooks the meal, how he turns the companies out, how often he "steps up"....

    I hear ya on the 6 year "senior" man whines he does everything around there and has to step up all the time......but no one notices the quite, truly senior man with like 15+ years on, quietly does those things without bitching and without help, without being told to do it, and lets the "senior" take the credit.


    Yup, got those guys here too.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for FDNY Rescues video
    By tah532 in forum Fire Buffs' Firehouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 12:57 PM
  2. FDNY Video....anybody seen this?
    By MG3610 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 02:34 PM
  3. FDNY Video
    By Heretic in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 03:09 PM
  4. FDNY Memorial video
    By pfd104 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-15-2002, 10:44 AM
  5. FDNY RES1CUE video help
    By Medic162 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-2002, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register