Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Row House

Forum Member

Default Row House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYUmy_XzIMU

A good example of what an 1 3/4" can handle.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

yeah and with about 15-20 seconds of water flowing before the bulk of it was knocked.

Someone else can do the math, but that is way less than tank water and it appeared prior to many of the other companies arriving on the scene.

How many of you would have recommended a defensive attack or a 2 1/2" or bigger lay on that one? C'mon, be honest.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 06-24-2009 at 08:32 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Heck of a good attack! First guy to mask knocks it down, advance is made. More than likely was simply a front room/content fire with perhaps a little extension down the hall.

IMO, when the fire is rolling out the window and across the porch ceiling, it is typically not as bad as it looks because of the lateral depth of the ceiling. Similair to when you pull up on the boo-boo buggy to see a guy with a face full of blood streaming everywhere from the 1/2" lac above his eyebrow. Looks worse than it is.

Nice job, quick easy knockdown with the right sized line.

Forum Member

depends, might have opted for the 2 1/2 might have not.

Can't make a solid call from a video.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Great job done by the crew.

Only thing I could add is the could have had the last man (Doorman)on the line spray it down while the 2 front men (nozzle and co) masked up.

The did a heck of a job (and I am only splitting hairs)
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    Great job done by the crew.

Only thing I could add is the could have had the last man (Doorman)on the line spray it down while the 2 front men (nozzle and co) masked up.

The did a heck of a job (and I am only splitting hairs)
    Yeah right! Who's giving up the pipe on this job? This job shouldn't be much of a surprise, basic engine work without all the fuss.

Luckily for many posers here it appears the option to attack from the unburned side was not present, so they can't question that.

I work in an area that's full of buildings look to be laid out pretty similarly - attached on both sides, big picture window in front of a large living room with a hallway and door right next to it. One thing this video shows at about the 1:35 mark is that if you're on the same level as the fire and knock down the bulk of the fire through the window then take the line through the door, you have a much easier time making the push. We have a ton of brownstones and rowframes with a similar layout and when you have a fire condition like the one in the video the line always advances quicker when the nozzleman takes 10 seconds to operate the line through the window then just attacking it head on. Just a suggestion, it works for us and looks like it worked in this video.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Luckily for many posers here it appears the option to attack from the unburned side was not present, so they can't question that.
    its always an option for them, front lawn or street, which ever is furthest from the fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Very nice job on the attack. BTW what is Philly's 1 3/4 set up. What is the length and what type of nozzle is married to it. Just looking at what type of GPM's they are putting on this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Very nice! Looked a lot bigger than it actually was. I couldn't tell if that was a straight stream or a smoothbore. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusPaul View Post
    Very nice! Looked a lot bigger than it actually was. Philly rowhomes are narrow, but usually deep. Average size is 18x45 depending on which model or neighborhood you are in. When I lived in Philly, I owned what was called an "airlite." Look at 7000 Kindred Street on google earth, and you get an idea of how tight some of the rowhome neighborhoods are. For a report of a fire in a row, PFD transmits a "Tactical Box" which gets you 2 engines, 2 trucks and a chief. If it's a good job, it gets upgraded to a box, which totals out at 4 engines, 2 trucks and 2 chiefs. First and Third engines take the front, second and fourth take the rear alley. If all hands go in service, you get a medic, the rescue company and maybe a squad company if they are not already on the assignment as an engine company. Truck18 correct me if I am wrong with any of that. I moved out of the city in 03, but I understand at least THAT part of the job is unchanged.I couldn't tell if that was a straight stream or a smoothbore. Anyone know?
    Here is a great publication (pdf format) that shows you the designs and layouts of the various rowhomes in Philly. Also gives a history. Pretty interesting if you've never been in a rowhome. Many people think they are small. Mine had a full kitchen with a breakfast nook, a dining room, a large living room, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, a finished basement (1/2 the footprint) and a 1-car garage (the other 1/2 of the footprint.) Lots of space in my house.

http://www.philaplanning.org/pubinfo/rowhousemanual.pdf
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

good info. i appreciate it.

Forum Member

Most dwellings get a tactical box with does consist of 2 Engines, 2 Ladders and a Battalion Chief. Depending on the number of calls, the feel of the dispatcher etc. the call maybe upgraded to a full box which gives you an additional 2 Engines and an additional chief. A full box will also get transmitted on the type of occupancy such as an apartment, building, garage, store, hospital, school etc. First and Third Engines take the front. Second and Fourth Engines take the rear. First Ladder and Chief take the front. Second Ladder and Chief take the rear. Once 2 Engines and 2 Ladders are placed in service you get the closest SOC company, ALS medic unit and an additional Ladder as RIT. An all hands box gets both a Rescue and Squad Company as well as a Deputy Chief.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCK61 View Post
    Very nice job on the attack. BTW what is Philly's 1 3/4 set up. What is the length and what type of nozzle is married to it. Just looking at what type of GPM's they are putting on this.
    Most run with 4 length pre connects with Akron Assault nozzles. Thus a straight stream.

MembersZone Subscriber

The one thing that I would add is not generalize these types of buildings. I have investigated fires in row houses in different parts of Phila. and the construction is different. I have investigated them in Newark, NJ and they are different from those two. I have investigated them in Mt. Carmel, PA and they are different still.

The difference is basically in the way they are connected. Some have open cocklofts. Some have cocklofts broken by wood walls. Some have common chimney chases in the common wall. Some have attached back porches. Some have common front porches. And so forth.

Learn the building construction in your area.

These guys obviously knew the building type and did one helluva job on the knockdown.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18 View Post
    Most dwellings get a tactical box with does consist of 2 Engines, 2 Ladders and a Battalion Chief. Depending on the number of calls, the feel of the dispatcher etc. the call maybe upgraded to a full box which gives you an additional 2 Engines and an additional chief. A full box will also get transmitted on the type of occupancy such as an apartment, building, garage, store, hospital, school etc. First and Third Engines take the front. Second and Fourth Engines take the rear. First Ladder and Chief take the front. Second Ladder and Chief take the rear. Once 2 Engines and 2 Ladders are placed in service you get the closest SOC company, ALS medic unit and an additional Ladder as RIT. An all hands box gets both a Rescue and Squad Company as well as a Deputy Chief.
    Rear access is another issue that varies by area. You guys seem to have a lot of these buildings with alleys running through the rear. Go up to North Hudson and you will never see an alley. The only rear access is from the street and yards behind. Very inefficient.

Again, know the buildings in your area.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Knowing your area is very important. While you may have many similar buildings there's always the exception. Especially with new construction.

Those guys did a damn good job. They had the fire knocked down quicker than it would take some stone thrower here to knock their balls off behind the protection of a computer screen.

Great job!

Where are all the deuce and a half fans??
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Great job!

Where are all the deuce and a half fans??
    I'm right here. I said I may or may not have wanted it. Its hard to tell from a VIDEO.

I guess its not ok to slam some random firefighter for some video or news article, but some poster saying what they might do from a video is ok to slam. great code of conduct we have.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I'm right here. I said I may or may not have wanted it. Its hard to tell from a VIDEO.

I guess its not ok to slam some random firefighter for some video or news article, but some poster saying what they might do from a video is ok to slam. great code of conduct we have.
    Settle down Francis.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information