Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default OceanSide, NY Seagrave Aerialscope II 75 footer

While looking at Seagraves site pe drawings for the Scope II's, I came across the drawings for Oceanside's 75ft Scope II. So I dug more on the net and found so more info and pics. Here are the link's.

http://my.seagrave.com/ContentManage...side,%20NY.pdf

http://www.nassaufdrant.com/forum/oc...res-16924.html

http://snick.smugmug.com/gallery/833...46266505_72xsa

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting to see the main lift cylinders back in the "usual" arrangement. Did that change the below zero angle and/or distance from the side of the truck to the sidewalk?

What in hell is that gun? I want to see that work! Still better than an electric controlled fog gun, but the handle looks unwieldy.

BTW: I see this is the new Aerialscope II 75 ft. model, but it seems it has more wheels than we'd been "led" to believe they'd require?
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 06-25-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Forum Member

It was interesting when they had the lift cylinders going back wards on the 95's never had to worry about catching the cylinders on the body or cab when it was like that. I don't know when they had gone that way beside going a lower angle.

As pre the new Aerialscope II info the basket can be set down with the front walkway edge 36' from the side of the truck at -9 angle. I don't know what the set down is for the 75' but I would think it would be the same from looking at the pics of Oceanside's basket on the ground.

I think that gun has been around at about 5 years or so. FDNY has been using it for awhile. You can take the gun and aim the nozzle under the basket. With the way the handle is made the handle goes up and over the handle rail instead of through it. I haven't seen it in person or talked to anyone about it at all. just read so of the info on it. Here is a link to a page with info about it. Have to scroll down to Manual Platform Monitor this is made by Akron Brass: http://www.akronbrass.com/uploadedFi...s_Platform.pdf

If you are talking about Pelham Manor's 75 Scope it is there old boom from what I have read is being remounted on to a new cab, chassis, and body and it will be on a single axle. Also it sounds like the truck will have the bare bones of truck tools and such on it to keep the weight down so it can be on a single axle. I still would like to see drawing and photos of it. But there has been no posted yet. Just have to wait and see with that.

MembersZone Subscriber

The gun is quite interesting, it just seems like it might be difficult to sweep side to side with the handle. I guess like most you can reach over and assist it using the shaper/nozzle tips.

MembersZone Subscriber

very sexy rig

Forum Member

Well here is a link to another forum that has two pics of Hempsteads Scope being built it is of the cab and chassis and a little info on the rest of what is going on with it and when it will be done. Just have to scroll up and down to read the stuff about it.

http://www.nassaufdrant.com/forum/an...uck-16929.html

Forum Member

Maybe an expert can fill me in on something, what is so great about an Aerialscope? How does it differ from another ladder truck?

Forum Member

Post Not A Expert!

Quote Originally Posted by chechnya View Post
    Maybe an expert can fill me in on something, what is so great about an Aerialscope? How does it differ from another ladder truck?
    No fire apparatus is great, but the Aerialscope is one of the best towers trucks in the fire service today.With it's box boom construction ,short O.A.L., Manual Stang gun operations flowing water at any angle, 1000 lb payload, two out riggers & four jacks, joystick controls,the only drawback is the ladder & price tag !!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 06-27-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Forum Member

Default Aerialscope 2 Features

Quote Originally Posted by chechnya View Post
    BOX BOOM CONSTRUCTION, 1000# WHILE FLOWING 1000 GPM-----------------NO RESTRICTIONS. iTS NOT A LADDER--ITS AN AERIAL PLATFORM-with an escape ladder. Greaseless boom. No other manufacturer can use that style water cannon--sweep anywhere even underneath and quickly without cranking and without lessening platform capacity.

Forum Member

Any idea what they paid for it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    Any idea what they paid for it?
    I would think that a new 75' Aerialscope II costs in the range of $1 Mill ? We priced one last year and seagrave told us that they start at $ 950,000 and up!

Forum Member

We have an '09 95 ft scope vehicle cost was 1,036,000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by htfdc102 View Post
    We have an '09 95 ft scope vehicle cost was 1,036,000
    We are looking to have our 75' Scope refurbed/re-chassis for about $ 650,000 - $ 675,000 . The extra 400k that a new one costs could be used to buy a pumper in the near future !

Forum Member

Originally Posted by chechnya View Post
    "WoodbridgeFFII".. No fire apparatus is great, but the Aerialscope is one of the best towers trucks in the fire service today.With it's box boom construction ,short O.A.L., Manual Stang gun operations flowing water at any angle, 1000 lb payload, two out riggers & four jacks, joystick controls,the only drawback is the ladder & price tag !!
    Another question for the experts....

What makes a platform aerial, an Aerialscope???

Googling pics of them, I see that the water way gun is mounted at the end of the basket, and has the ability to flow in any direction. As well, the ladder has side hand rails, and is built on the "box boom" platform.

What I don't get, is the need for the four extra outriggers on the front and rear. Is this needed to comply with the 1,000 pound tip weight, or am I missing something else.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Another question for the experts....

What makes a platform aerial, an Aerialscope???

Googling pics of them, I see that the water way gun is mounted at the end of the basket, and has the ability to flow in any direction. As well, the ladder has side hand rails, and is built on the "box boom" platform.

What I don't get, is the need for the four extra outriggers on the front and rear. Is this needed to comply with the 1,000 pound tip weight, or am I missing something else.

FM1
    People with hands on experience with 'Scopes can surely shed more light on this, but it was explained to me 'way back that the 'Scope was designed to and works best when the wheels are completely off the ground. That way, movement of its suspension is not a factor. That's how it achieves its stability. The corner ones are not outriggers, they're jacks. All they do is lift the truck. The only outriggers are the two at the middle.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    People with hands on experience with 'Scopes can surely shed more light on this, but it was explained to me 'way back that the 'Scope was designed to and works best when the wheels are completely off the ground. That way, movement of its suspension is not a factor. That's how it achieves its stability. The corner ones are not outriggers, they're jacks. All they do is lift the truck. The only outriggers are the two at the middle.
    Operating an Aerialscope's ground stabilizers for idiots:

1. Get out of truck, open stabilizer compartment door.
    2. Push jack and outrigger hydraulic controls "DOWN" until all are fully extended.
    3. Close compartment door. Go to work.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I wonder if a certain former proby school engine ops instructor (and habitual truck basher) is still a member of this volly truck company?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

why do arialscopes cost so much more to build than towers? I would think that a tower has more labor in the ladder than the main beam on a scope.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    why do arialscopes cost so much more to build than towers? I would think that a tower has more labor in the ladder than the main beam on a scope.
    why does a Lincoln navigator cost 8 grand more than a Fore expedition? Or why is a Cadillac escalade more than a chevy or a GM tahoe ? Because they can! & people will pay more for a name plate. We all know that doesn't happen with firetrucks :MUCH !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    If 10 other fire apparatus builders made a Aerialscope type truck the price would most likely be lower than it is. The only thing that comes close is the E-One Bronto and the apparatus from Rosenbauer, and they are rear mounts !

Forum Member

So does one builder have a patent on the arialscope thus giving them a monopoly on that design. So they can charge what ever they want.

Forum Member

Sorry Sam, for the mistake on the 4 jacks, calling them outriggers.

Problem is, I still don't have an answer to what the difference is between a platform rig, and an Aerialscope.

One thing I don't need, is instructions on how to operate it. :-)

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Problem is, I still don't have an answer to what the difference is between a platform rig, and an Aerialscope.

FM1
    Most rigs that have platforms have ladder trusses as their main structural element. Aerialscopes have a box beam structure instead of a ladder to lift their bucket.

Simply put, it is a crane boom with a bucket on the end and an escape ladder on top. It makes for one tough tower ladder.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    why does a Lincoln navigator cost 8 grand more than a Fore expedition? Or why is a Cadillac escalade more than a chevy or a GM tahoe ? Because they can! & people will pay more for a name plate. We all know that doesn't happen with firetrucks :MUCH !
    Kind of like a service truck versus a heavy rescue......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

owh,that's gonna leave a mark! T.C.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information