Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Detroit Door Opener

I started fighting fires way back in 1967 and one of the forcible entry classes I attended through the University of Missouri Firemanship Training exposed me to a device called the Detroit Door Opener. As I recall, it worked on a lever principle and easily ripped the door, frame and all right out of the wall.

I haven't seen or used one since and was wondering if anyone else had used one or had any information, photos, etc.

Thanks,

Mike Dunn

MembersZone Subscriber

We had one when I started and it has since been taken from service. I was shown how to use it once during my proby days and never saw it used in the field. I'll take a peak around and see if it's hiding somewhere for some pics.

I found a reference on the web with a picture. See attached. Pretty easy to see how it works.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I think our training division still has one in a shed. I'll see if I can locate it next week....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Pretty neat write-up with pictures.

http://books.google.com/books?id=MJQ...esult&resnum=4
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

rsqman, Where are you from?

I have one on my antique.....Wish I had it at some tough forcible entry jobs I have been at in the past......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I was told ours is still in our storage garage, I'll pull it out Sunday and get some pics.

I thought a Detroit door opener was a boot.

Forum Member

can someone get a picture of it set up in a working position. All I ever see is pictures of it lying on a table or the floor, I've never seen one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    can someone get a picture of it set up in a working position. All I ever see is pictures of it lying on a table or the floor, I've never seen one in person.
    Go to that link in post #5, it gives a complete description with pictures, pretty cool!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

won't let me view the pages, says I've reached an unavailable page or reached my limit of viewable pages

Quote Originally Posted by rsqman View Post
    I started fighting fires way back in 1967 and one of the forcible entry classes I attended through the University of Missouri Firemanship Training exposed me to a device called the Detroit Door Opener. As I recall, it worked on a lever principle and easily ripped the door, frame and all right out of the wall.

I haven't seen or used one since and was wondering if anyone else had used one or had any information, photos, etc.

Thanks,

Mike Dunn
    Wow, you waited 42 years to ask about it? A little late to worry about it now. Point to the door you want opened and make someone else do it.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Detroit door opener

I'm in Port Allen, LA now, across the river from Baton Rouge, with the Erwinville VFD. I grew up in the fire service, 2nd generation, in the Harrisonville Legionnaire VFD, just south of KC, MO. From there to Oklahoma State University where I got my degree in fire protection. Overseas from there as a contract federal firefighter in Thule, Greenland followed by Kwajalein, Marshall Islands. Back to MO as an investigator for the state fire marshal's office then to Louisiana State University Firemen Training Program as an instructor in the industrial section for 16 years. After a change in management I couldn't live with I formed my own training company, Emergency Response Training, Inc., in 1995. Now I travel around the world teaching and seeing some really strange things.

My question about the Detroit Door Opener was strictly nostalgia-related. Thanks to everyone for the quick and informative responses. What else would you expect from a bunch of firefighters?

Mike Dunn
    President
    ERT, Inc.
    www.ertrescue.com
    888-639-4600

My dad talks about these things and says that they were one hell of a tool. Only one I have seen was in the Buffalo Fire Museum.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

At the time we had them they worked great. You had to be careful that you didn't get a finger or two under the plate as you fitted it under the door know or other things. Halligans were a better tool and was easy to handle over the DDO!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

rsqman - we had one on the truck when I started, a little after you (Jul '69). I can't ever remember seeing it used at a fire or even a drill. Did see it how to use it though. At that time there was no such thing as a Hurst Tool. Congrats on 42 years in the fire service.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Guess I'm just a rookie here with 36 years on the job . . . but I used a Detroit Door Opener on a couple of occasions during my early years. It's a VERY powerful tool, using only mechanical advantage to open the door. Which it most certainly will. All of our truck companies used to carry them - I think we have five or six of them up in the loft at the Division of Training - we use one of them to "stump the rookies" during recruit classes now. You would wet your pants laughing while watching the probies try to figure out what it is and how it works.
    "SYRACUSE - An ISO Class One Fire Department"

Thread Information