MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another Chapter: We are our enemy

This is an unbelievable story...

Pennsylvania Department's Gambling Devices Seized

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Four members of South Connellsville Volunteer Fire Department were issued fines Thursday because the department had eight illegal video gambling devices, authorities said.

Tom Corvin, 63, of South Connellsville; Chris J. Parrill, 40, Terry Wayne Brooks, 51 and Donald E. Ringer, 57, all of of Connellsville, pleaded guilty and each paid a fine of $50 and court costs of $123.50.

On Feb. 10, an officer with the state police Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement conducted an open inspection of the fire department and observed eight video poker and slot machines in the bar area. The officer also observed a patron playing a slot machine, having accumulated 3,624 credits. The machine was reset to zero and 18 tickets printed out. A total of $10 worth of credits were needed for a payout, resulting in 3,600 credits equaling $180 in payouts. All eight machines were found to have similar knock-off devices.

The machines were seized and transported to a district enforcement office.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service
    There are some great arguments here in favor of padlocking the doors and starting over.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Once again. Another reason why firehouse bars need to be abolished. Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey are probably the three worst states where these exist.

And I have said it before and I will say it again- if you are riding apparatus at a parade, no beer for you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Once again. Another reason why firehouse bars need to be abolished. Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey are probably the three worst states where these exist.

And I have said it before and I will say it again- if you are riding apparatus at a parade, no beer for you.
    go wash your truck

MembersZone Subscriber

If he is pulling the truck out to wash it, I bet he won't have had a drink!

Same here... Bars have no place at fire stations.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIMP0LMAN View Post
    go wash your truck
    I will tonight as a matter of fact, I am taking it to a car show tomorrow. And I will have a beer or two as I wash it, as I will be in the comfort of my driveway at home, not responding to any alarms! Thank You!

(Oh and by the way if that was just a smart *** firehouse kitchen comment, ok fine. If it was a comment because you are ****ed at my statement, too f*king bad, and it's *********s like you and your childish antics in your firehouse bars or behavior at parades that makes the rest of us look bad.)

MembersZone Subscriber

I will tonight as a matter of fact, I am taking it to a car show tomorrow. And I will have a beer or two as I wash it, as I will be in the comfort of my driveway at home, not responding to any alarms! Thank You!

(Oh and by the way if that was just a smart *** firehouse kitchen comment, ok fine. If it was a comment because you are ****ed at my statement, too f*king bad, and it's *********s like you and your childish antics in your firehouse bars or behavior at parades that makes the rest of us look bad.)
    a little from column A and a little from column B!
    Have a great weekend!

MembersZone Subscriber

MOST DEFINITELY!!!

However, it's just not on the east coast!! There are several fire departments in Wisconsin that still have beer in the station pop machine or after a training night someone runs and gets a case of beer to drink at the station.

Just asking for trouble. Alcohol and the fire station have no business being together, regardless if it is an income generator or not.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Not for nuthin' guys, but I'm pretty sure the point of the story was the illegal gambling operation the fire department was running. Not the bar.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Not for nuthin' guys, but I'm pretty sure the point of the story was the illegal gambling operation the fire department was running. Not the bar.
    Well, either way, they both are bad.

Sorry, I saw a chance to get on my soap box. Sorry I blew up, please excuse me, I experienced a cheese overdose!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

makes good girls go bad

Why is there continuance of this?
    Make all volunteers municipal employees. All Firehouses municipal property.

You don't see cops hoisting a brew at the station. Or gambling.

Before you bring on the anti volly comments, I AM a volunteer, and part time firefighter. It is disgraceful how some "fire departments" operate.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Geez. Bars are bad, now illegal gambling. Is there anyone who wants to defend either of these. (and ignore the public reception/meeting halls in the same building as the FD - if they are totally separate entities). How can you justify a FD operating a bar?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    You're correct George, but where are you going to put the gambling operation? My thoughts were basically "had they not had a bar, they probably would not have had the machines."

Forum Member

Default and besides...

They can't be allowed to get into slick Eddie's friend's turf now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post

Why is there continuance of this?
    Make all volunteers municipal employees. All Firehouses municipal property.

You don't see cops hoisting a brew at the station. Or gambling.

Before you bring on the anti volly comments, I AM a volunteer, and part time firefighter. It is disgraceful how some "fire departments" operate.
    Interesting thought. Around here we have 17 fire departments. 2 are city and paid. 2 are fire districts and considered political sub divisions. The remaining 13 are private companies. So all those areas need to do is raise the capital to buy the fire house and the equipment and it is theirs. Going to be hard to come up with the millions needed to do that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG View Post
    Geez. Bars are bad, now illegal gambling. Is there anyone who wants to defend either of these. (and ignore the public reception/meeting halls in the same building as the FD - if they are totally separate entities). How can you justify a FD operating a bar?
    Simple. Take a look here South Connellsville Volunteer Fire Department

They have to go out and have fund raisers to operate because the citizens don't want to pay the taxes for a municipal department. This is a private corporation, just like a private construction company or machine shop. They are free to do as they wish.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Interesting thought. Around here we have 17 fire departments. 2 are city and paid. 2 are fire districts and considered political sub divisions. The remaining 13 are private companies. So all those areas need to do is raise the capital to buy the fire house and the equipment and it is theirs. Going to be hard to come up with the millions needed to do that.

Unfortunately, a municipality can use Eminent Domain and sieze the assets, as long as a fair price is offered. But then, if a fire company is closed, who gets the assets? Not the members.....those go back to the community, in this case, the same municipality.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Well, either way, they both are bad.

Sorry, I saw a chance to get on my soap box. Sorry I blew up, please excuse me, I experienced a cheese overdose!
    Maybe you should form your own company and contract to the municipalities. This is a private organization, much like the Moose, or Lions clubs. These guys are free to run their club the way they want.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe you should form your own company and contract to the municipalities. This is a private organization, much like the Moose, or Lions clubs. These guys are free to run their club the way they want.
    And therein lies a big part of the problem. A fire department isn't a "club", it's a public safety agency. Those who operate their department like a club (like in this case) put us who operate like a public safety agency in a bad light.

If you want to join a club, join the Elks, Lions, Moose, Shriners, PTA, or whatever and leave the emergency services for those that want to do the "job" instead of socialize.

Back In Black

Take out the bars and put in massage parlors.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Now THAT'S an idea! You think that'd qualify for SAFER funding?

MembersZone Subscriber

They have to go out and have fund raisers to operate because the citizens don't want to pay the taxes for a municipal department. This is a private corporation, just like a private construction company or machine shop. They are free to do as they wish.
    Yeah. Just like the bar that also has the fire engine in the first post. They had illegal gambling. I suppose we could start a meth lab for a fundraiser.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    And therein lies a big part of the problem. A fire department isn't a "club", it's a public safety agency. Those who operate their department like a club (like in this case) put us who operate like a public safety agency in a bad light.

If you want to join a club, join the Elks, Lions, Moose, Shriners, PTA, or whatever and leave the emergency services for those that want to do the "job" instead of socialize.
    Its not a Fire Department that has a bar, it is a bar that also has a fire engine.

I am all for them having a bar - they just need to let a fire department handle the firefighting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    We picked up some donations from a department up near Aberdeen MD,
    turnouts and such for some needy departments down here in southern MO.

When pulling into their station we were greeted with the stunning sight of
    two beautiful young ladies washing a car. In bathing suits. Playing in the water. OMG. The three of us were all wanting to join that department.

We are STILL wanting to join that department.

I have yet to figure out how to get SAFER money to move these young
    ladies down here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Beer boy raises his ugly head again.

Don't worry people, in about two pages, he'll be telling us that its no big deal to fight fire with a couple of beers on board.

If you need a glimpse into where this is going, look up user cdevoe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post

Have you got a solution as to how you would make all of these private clubs public agencies? Obviously, the citizens of these areas would rather have the club protecting them than pay the 3 million it would take to own the department themselves.

Most of these small towns don’t see the need for “public” safety agencies. Look and see how many have a local police department. There are some 30,000 fire departments in the U.S., 80% are volunteer. So let’s just say that 15,000 departments are private, not public entities. To purchase those departments would cost on average $3 million, for a total of $45 Billion. Perhaps instead of funding a whole bunch of ineffective and useless social programs the Federal Government should “bail out” these localities.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 06-27-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Thread Information