Forum Member

Default Local Training Center Funding

We (3 local fire departments) are the fortunate recipients of about four acres from our township for the purpose of a regional emergency services training center. They are looking to secure funding from the county and state and asked us to search elsewhere. Are there any projects out there or on the horizon to help fund this project. We are in the very early stages. Any idea or info would be a great help. Thank you.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

MontCo is in the Philly UASI zone, but if the big city across the river has to armwrestle for money don't see it hitting the 'burbs in large quantities either. USDA and HUD are probably the main options just like building station since there are the lone non-competitive ones that allow for construction projects. I believe Bucks got some money out of a grant for the southern campus at the former Rohm & Haas site. Give a shout over to BCESTC or search phillyburbs.com for the article, that's where I read about it while checking the police news to see if I knew anyone that got busted for DUI back in the old stomping grounds...

Forum Member

Good to know you're from back this way. We are looking to run this independant of the Montco Training Center so I am not sure if the same funds would be there. I did see the progress on the new center. It is very impressive. I will check into that. Thanks.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Probably don't want to get too independent, but if you do make sure anything done at your place still holds the same certs at those done under MTC's realm. Besides, after a decade of someone stealing money out of there I think things there can only go up...

Plus any grants will want to see widespread involvement from other agencies using the facility, and expect discussion on why MTC isn't the place to get the job done. Above and beyond the usual distance and class availability issues that most folks have in the more populous areas which is valid inside the fire service, not so much outside. That is most of the reason Bucks expanded south first, and I'm sure they have a northern campus in mind down the road too. I was spoiled up there, Bucks was our first-due area so I went to all sorts of classes. We're building a new house and moving up the road the end of this year to the next district over and the station I'll be out of is part of the community college's campus complete with fire training academy on site. Can't wait cause I'm a nerd, can't get enough training on anything, but fire training beats MBA classes on the adrenaline rush big time.

Thread Information