Thread: Phoenix FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Phoenix FD

I am finishing my bachelor degree in Fire Science at Arizona State once I return from Iraq this September. I was just wondering how the Phoenix Fire Department is and how they are on hiring? The website doesn't offer much information. I am very interested in pursuing this career and would love any input from fire fighters nation wide or local PFD.

Forum Member

Have no idea how much they pay but they are an extremly progressive department which tends to stay on the cutting edge.

They provide a full range of services.

Forum Member

I looked into Phoenix years ago 1989ish, their salary was pretty good. The downside was the residency requirement. You had to be a resident of Maricopa Co and have a valid Arizona drivers license.
    I'm not sure about now. I think there are a couple of members from Phoenix and a few from AZ. Good luck.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a resident of Maricopa county and have an AZ license. The website makes it seem like they hire once a year in the spring. I am just wondering how tough it is to get into this department and if the military backround is a plus. I've heard from some FF's that being in the National Guard can be a negative in a fire house which seems crazy to me. I have served 4 years in the Infantry and can't see how that could be a bad thing.

Forum Member

Hey brother, I just got back from there in April, I was out West...WAAAY out west off Route Silver, I'm a Grunt myself.

Don't worry about being in the Guard as a Fireman. It may be a problem while on your probation period, because some places don't like you working another job your first year, but I think military is the exception. My job has probably a thousand or so members in the reserves or guard and they accommodate us. We get 225 hours around 30 days military leave each year...which is enough for the monthly drills and AT period. If activated then we go off the chart till we return, we retain our salaries, at base pay only and have to pay it back once we return.

I don't think you will have a problem in PFD. I am sure they have similar accommodations as we do. You can always head down to the MWR and look up their web addy and send an email to the recruiting division and ask them in detail.

Ok, Stay Safe, and keep low.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

In some small depts Guard or Reserve time is frowned upon because it causes scheduling problems and costs them OT when you are gone. A dept the size of Phoenix is used to accomodating people like us.

The negatives in the firehouse may be:
    -People jealous of your experiences
    -Someone thinks you are getting special treatment because they don't get time off for their "side job".
    -You may be less willing to put up with stupidity or be taken advantage of due to your military experience.
    -You will discount or ignore the whining and complaining of others because much of it is so trivial compared to what service members deal with, and therefore you will not support their stupid grievances or complaining.

In my 17 years as a FF, my Dept and municipality have been very supportive, the union local has stood up for me but also tried to use my service to the advantage of others, and the vast majority of the guys have been great, especially when I've been deployed.

Forum Member

Being in the Guard or Reserves is protected by Federal Law, it is just that simple. Yes some places may "frown" upon it but in the end there are mechanisms in place to ensure your employer abides by USERRA and other laws.

My experience as a reservist has been positive. The department (Seattle) is very used to members taking time off for drill weekends, AT and mobilizations. We can use shift trades, paid military leave (10 - 24 hour shifts/year), vacation and/or unpaid time to cover time off. I can think of about 30 guys off the top of my head that have been mobilized (many multiple times) since 9/11/01. Both times I've come back off year long absences due to military leave everyone has been nothing but supportive. Going through refresher training to getting back with my regular crew, all I heard was "welcome back and thanks for serving" from the Chief level on down. It helps that a solid 20-25% of the department are vetrans and understand.

While mobilized we don't lose our health insurance and the city makes up the difference in pay if our military base pay is lower than our fire department base pay. We have a strong union that goes to bat for members if the city were to try to take advantage of a member on military leave. You'll have to see what it is like at PFD.

Plus any "negatives" that people bring up are easily refuted by the amount of positives that the department benefits from much of the specialized training, leadership experience, networking, etc that a reservist brings back to their civilian job.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks a bunch guys, your information has been very helpful. I figured since FF's are all about Civil Service that the military would obviously be accepted with no complaints but I can see where small departments might discourage it.

Are there any "preference points" given for FF? I've looked on most websites and can't find anything, I know cops get it but I haven't found it for FF.

Also, if anyone out there is in the Phoenix Fire Dept. and can offer any advise please let me know. I plan on getting EMT certified this summer at Mesa CC and then trying to contact PFD about options. I am in contact with someone from the Emerald Society and he said to ask around here for advise.

Hey, VinnieB, what dept are you in?

Forum Member

http://phoenix.gov/FIRE/recruit.html

take note that PFD isn't administering the CPAT, you need to find someone who administers tests and have proof of passing within a year of your interview.

Forum Member

I might be able to answer a couple of your questions. PFD will not be running a recruit class until the earliest of April 2010, maybe September. This slowdown is due to budget cuts around the city and state.

All of the application processs is done by City of Phoenix Personnel Dept. Go on-line to Personnel's website for application dates. All city employees, including fire applicants, get 5 preferential points for being a veteran.

PFD is definitely pro veteran. We have many veterans on the job, many have taken leave for military activations, and some are over there currently.

I think finishing your degree in Chuck Kime's program is a good plan. When you are done, we should be hiring at full steam again. P.M. Me with any further questions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by asuarmyvet View Post

Hey, VinnieB, what dept are you in?
    I am in the FDNY.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I know a couple of guys who have gotten on the department. From what I hear, transferring in from one of the metro departments (Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Gilbert, whatever) is easier than getting on straight away. I don't know as any of the metro departments are hiring right now, though; most are under a freeze because of the economy. All of them except Chandler require EMT at the time of interviews, last I checked. I think Chandler required it within a few months of hiring, but I could be wrong about that.

Little tip for the CPAT, being at ASU like you are: the east stairwell of Bateman F wing is ideal for doing your stair climbs. Although the CPAT is done on a machine (so there's no "work" involved on a machine because you're not actually lifting all that weight up 180 steps), it doesn't hurt to do the 9 flights of stairs in Bateman. Put on a backpack and add a few pounds each week.

Thread Information