Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Christopher, IL, USA
    Posts
    322

    Default Looking for a book

    I am currently seeking the IFSTA Essentials of Firefighting 3rd edition. I have searched on amazon, google, yahoo and everywhere else and cannot find this. Since Illinois has not updated FFIII since 1997 this is where the state test is taken from, in part. If anyone has one that they would be willing to let go of I would be willing to pay a fair price for one.

    firemedic_19@yahoo.com


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Christopher, IL, USA
    Posts
    322

    Default

    I figured this would be hard to find. 41 views and no replies, LOL!!!

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Carbondale, IL, USA
    Posts
    1

    Default Book

    It looks like the IFSI Library has a copy. Maybe you could check it out from there on interlibrary loan.

    https://www.fsi.illinois.edu/content...3&type=catalog

    dw

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Christopher, IL, USA
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Sweet, thanks DW

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    57

    Default Amazon, maybe?

    Last edited by CDean1262; 06-29-2009 at 11:53 AM.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Christopher, IL, USA
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDean1262 View Post
    No, that is the 5th edition. I am looking for the 3rd edition.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    57

    Default Right edition???

    The State of Illinois is using the 3rd Edition as a basis for FF III? Are you sure that's right? I'd call Springfield and doublecheck that if I were you, especially since they're on the 5th edition.

    *edit* I did go and look on the OSFM website, and you were correct, but I'd still call them and ask, because I can't see why the 5th edition wouldn't be as useful as the 3rd edition.
    Last edited by CDean1262; 06-29-2009 at 07:45 PM.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Christopher, IL, USA
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDean1262 View Post
    The State of Illinois is using the 3rd Edition as a basis for FF III? Are you sure that's right? I'd call Springfield and doublecheck that if I were you, especially since they're on the 5th edition.

    *edit* I did go and look on the OSFM website, and you were correct, but I'd still call them and ask, because I can't see why the 5th edition wouldn't be as useful as the 3rd edition.
    It has been confirmed prior to starting the class. I am the Asst. Director of the academy that is teaching the FFIII class. OSFM stated that the curriculum has not been updated since 1997 and the state test is still based out of the 3rd edition. THey are still using the 4th editiion for the FFII in IL.

    You know how far behind our state is on everything. It's realy sad!!!

  9. #9
    Forum Member Firefighter2160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion, Illinois
    Posts
    301

    Default

    A few things for you,

    1. looks like sellers on amazon DOES have it even though it is not instock at amazon it self
    http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Fir.../dp/0879391014

    2. John A Bought an entire library for SIRFA and it is still sitting in boxes at St. 6 I am not sure if that book might be in there.

    3. All of the firefighters that have went through our training which is now basically SIRFA just used the 4th ed and had no probs passing the state exam.


    Hopefully ths will be of some help

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Christopher, IL, USA
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2160 View Post
    A few things for you,

    1. looks like sellers on amazon DOES have it even though it is not instock at amazon it self
    http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Fir.../dp/0879391014

    2. John A Bought an entire library for SIRFA and it is still sitting in boxes at St. 6 I am not sure if that book might be in there.

    3. All of the firefighters that have went through our training which is now basically SIRFA just used the 4th ed and had no probs passing the state exam.


    Hopefully ths will be of some help
    Thanks, I know the FFII class used the 4th edition. But thats what the state is using for FFII. I am sure using the 4th wont be a big deal. I am just one that likes to use the exact referance the objectives come from.

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Christopher, IL, USA
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmed19 View Post
    Thanks, I know the FFII class used the 4th edition. But thats what the state is using for FFII. I am sure using the 4th wont be a big deal. I am just one that likes to use the exact referance the objectives come from.
    Found the book on Amazon with help from that link. There are actualy several on there. Thanks for the help.

  12. #12
    Forum Member Firefighter2160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion, Illinois
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmed19 View Post
    Found the book on Amazon with help from that link. There are actualy several on there. Thanks for the help.

    Any time....being a GEEK does pay off once in a while LOL

  13. #13
    Forum Member Squad1LT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I have a 3rd edition and I think I have a study guide for 3rd edition also if you are still looking.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Book
    By Carbon in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 07:32 PM
  2. The Book
    By COOLHANDLUKE in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 11:56 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 02:13 PM
  4. Book on 9/11 - I need YOUR help.
    By nhexplorer in forum Line of Duty: In Memory Of
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2002, 01:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts