Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Two more questions

Does anyone know about the Florida Fire Training Institute in Melbourne. I am planning on taking FF I and possibly both there beginning in October. Is it a good school? Any info on the school and/or area of Melbourne would be appreciated.

Just out of curiostiy does fire dept's in Florida have residency requirements, and how has the economy affected hiring?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes...It is the same company as FMTI and if they run there fire school like there EMS school i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I have seen medics come out of the program not knowing anything.

Ocala has requirements if you are living out of state it will cost more for tuition. As far as hiring i think it has slowed down quite a bit

Forum Member

Not sure if this will answer your second question but some place's require that you are a resident of that county and that you have a FL drivers license ect.

Your certs must be from Florida, extremely hard to transfer, I would also recommend that you get both FF 1 & 2, no department will take you with just FF 1, except if you volunteer. They have been laying of FF's in Orlando and cut backs have made it hard to find a job since there are many applying for that one spot.

I'm not sure on the school in Melbourne, I will be heading to FSFC in July, I can't remember but there are some threads with people recommending what schools are good and what ones are not, I'll look around a see if I can find the thread or someone may chime in with some info.

Best of luck

Forum Member

Here is some info if you decide to not go to Melbourne, another school that has a really good reputation FSCF

http://www.marion.k12.fl.us/schools/...efighting.html

Just one note make sure you can pass the PT test!

I keep seeing this come up in different threads from time to time and I don't know why.
    The entire time I've been on at my department, NO ONE has asked me where I got my Florida minimum standards certificate. I've had fire officers tell me that they don't care where I went to fire school, and what matters is that the state recognized me for meeting the minimum standards in firefighting the State of Florida.
    By saying that, I don't mean to take away from schools like the Fire College up in Ocala. Yes, it is a good school but you are getting the same training at FFTI in Melbourne to earn the minimum standard certificate.
    My advice is that don't listen to anyone that tells you that you went to a "bad" or "horrible" fire academy and you will not get hired. That's bull sh*t!
    Many of you have already read on different threads and posts that to get hired anywhere these days is to VOLUNTEER to get field experience and continue to get certifications like paramedic, pump ops, or EVOC to name a few.
    That is the reality you guys are facing when you go out to apply for firefighter jobs. Don't be discouraged. Just giving you a reality check.

Lately, I find myself telling people who come up to me and say they want to be a firefighter. They ask what should they do to start? I tell them to get their EMT first, paramedic second, and Fire training last to make it EASIER for them.

In summary, don't listen to others that one fire academy is better than another. YOU are all getting the same training to meet the state's minimum standards.

Good Luck!

Forum Member

Dell205,

When I was looking into the different schools I was told that even thought you get the same certs, certain academies produce better FF's than others. And department's tend to take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell205 View Post
    I keep seeing this come up in different threads from time to time and I don't know why.
    The entire time I've been on at my department, NO ONE has asked me where I got my Florida minimum standards certificate. I've had fire officers tell me that they don't care where I went to fire school, and what matters is that the state recognized me for meeting the minimum standards in firefighting the State of Florida.
    By saying that, I don't mean to take away from schools like the Fire College up in Ocala. Yes, it is a good school but you are getting the same training at FFTI in Melbourne to earn the minimum standard certificate.
    My advice is that don't listen to anyone that tells you that you went to a "bad" or "horrible" fire academy and you will not get hired. That's bull sh*t!
    Many of you have already read on different threads and posts that to get hired anywhere these days is to VOLUNTEER to get field experience and continue to get certifications like paramedic, pump ops, or EVOC to name a few.
    That is the reality you guys are facing when you go out to apply for firefighter jobs. Don't be discouraged. Just giving you a reality check.

Lately, I find myself telling people who come up to me and say they want to be a firefighter. They ask what should they do to start? I tell them to get their EMT first, paramedic second, and Fire training last to make it EASIER for them.

In summary, don't listen to others that one fire academy is better than another. YOU are all getting the same training to meet the state's minimum standards.

Good Luck!
    I agree with everything you said except for one thing, in this order people should be told... Get your EMT Cert, Work for a transport agency atleast gaining experience. Take Medic if you like, then take your Standards. EMT's straight in to Medic school have proven to be a problem, remember the age old quote "You have to be a GREAT EMT before you can be a GOOD Medic". Everything else though, spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    Dell205,

When I was looking into the different schools I was told that even thought you get the same certs, certain academies produce better FF's than others. And department's tend to take that into consideration.
    Not necessarily. When hired, you will quickly realized that they (the FD) will train you THE WAY they want by following the department's S.O.Ps. and protocols.

In my first month on, I remembered being told by many fire officers and veterans, "This is the real world, forget about what you've learned in school!" "You are going to learn how we do it!"

Again, the fire and EMS training you get is nothing but meeting the minimum standards for the state.

What Layinonair posted is right too, getting EMS experience through a private ambulance company will HELP too.

Forum Member

Dell205,

Makes sense, how many EMS services are still private in Florida?

I don't know how many are operating in Florida.
    I know in the Orlando Metro area, we have Rural-Metro Ambulance and Health Central Ambulance.
    In Pinellas County (St. Pete) there is Sunstar. Down in South Florida I remember seeing AMR on the streets.

These are the ones I know of.

Forum Member

Dell205,

Thanks for the info, I was checking your list out, have you heard anything good or bad about them, they seem to pay what I think is average and offer some good benefits.

Not sure if this helps others out but here are the links to the sites

http://www.fireacademy.org/jobs4.htm

Forum Member

Good Luck!
    Dell I have to disagree with you and here is why. I don't know what your dept's hiring test is like but ours requires basic firefighting skills to be completed properly and in a given amount of time. I have seen consistently since it opened Coral Springs graduates fail miserably during our practical hiring test. My brother who works in Broward and does portions of his dept's new hire training says the same thing as do many other guys I know at other dept's throughout Palm Beach and Broward. It's not a "my school was harder than yours" ego trip, its what I have seen over and over for the last few years. In fact the last time I participated in a pre-hire practical only 3 out of the 20 Coral Springs graduates we had apply successfully completed our test. Thats 1 out of 6 compared to PBCC, IRCC and Broward Fire Academy students that passed an average of 4 out of 6 every time. To top that, all Ocala trained applicants(5 of them) passed with no problem. So I have to say in my experience that where you go to school is VERY important.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Dell205,

I don't know any dept that hires based on where you went to school but rather what you know how to do when you get out.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Firemedic 61,

What is the "pre-hire practical" consist of?

Forum Member

I wonder that also. my experience has been virtually identical to dell205. I've taken a few practical tests, and one was pretty easy, one was very easy, and one was more difficult. I've seen tampa administer their test when I was going through the academy, and it seemed challenging to me at the time, but that's been almost 6 years ago now, so I really don't even remember what they did. I do remember I decided not to go to the practical after the civil service test because I absolutely didn't want to work for tampa, heh.
    ctrlaltdel: amr is all over the state, and there are a few more companies in central florida, but I don't remember their names right now. one was based out of kissimmee but also has a couple trucks in orlando. I was looking for part time jobs and found several more private transport companies than I expected, but unfortunately I don't remember much about them now. google is your friend.

Forum Member

Firemedic 61,

What is the "pre-hire practical" consist of?

You know, really hard things like placing a 24' extension ladder propperly in the given amount of time and then taking it down, putting on an SCBA in 90 sec, basic knots maybe and of course the hardest of all following simple instructions.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Dell I have to disagree with you and here is why. I don't know what your dept's hiring test is like but ours requires basic firefighting skills to be completed properly and in a given amount of time. I have seen consistently since it opened Coral Springs graduates fail miserably during our practical hiring test. My brother who works in Broward and does portions of his dept's new hire training says the same thing as do many other guys I know at other dept's throughout Palm Beach and Broward. It's not a "my school was harder than yours" ego trip, its what I have seen over and over for the last few years. In fact the last time I participated in a pre-hire practical only 3 out of the 20 Coral Springs graduates we had apply successfully completed our test. Thats 1 out of 6 compared to PBCC, IRCC and Broward Fire Academy students that passed an average of 4 out of 6 every time. To top that, all Ocala trained applicants(5 of them) passed with no problem. So I have to say in my experience that where you go to school is VERY important.
    Really? In my new hire class, one was a graduate from Coral Springs' Fire Academy. He was from Palm Beach County. He was one of the top guys in our new hire class. We have civil service test, and the CPAT. In the CPAT there are few fire skills evolutions in it. MY department's hiring process was nearly 6 months long. "Survival of the fittest".

Forum Member

MY department's hiring process was nearly 6 months long. "Survival of the fittest".
    Dell205 what department are you on? and is that a common time frame for the hiring process for most departments?

Do you have any recommendation for applying and interviewing?

Forum Member

I don't know about any other schools other than Lake Tech Fire Academy and mid Florida tech. At mid Florida tech (Orlando) you have to pay to take the PT test ... $100 ... if you get accepted it might be for a class that starts a year from now. College degrees and ppl that did better on their PAT get slots first.

Lake tech in Tavares has an entrance PAT that is timed, most ppl can pass it. Its designed to weed out kids who have done nothing but play xbox and are in BAD shape. Twelve minutes to do a test we have to do on air, in gear and under 6 minutes to pass the school 3 months later.

I did the fire school at lake tech. I was very please how the school was run. I don't know if any school can offer better instructors. Our instructors are a mix of active and retired. Some chiefs, BC's, LT's and just plain old regular FF's. Need a minimum 6 years to even apply.

The school isn't the easiest either. We lost 3 students to the difficulty of the school before graduation. Our class, after a few had to go to Ocala for a re-test, 93% are now certified FF1 & FF2.

I have to say that is pretty friggin' good. Good luck on what ever school you choose.

EDIT : Yes do both FF1 and FF2 where ever you go. Both of the schools i listed are a couple hours north and west of Melbourne.

Lake tech has a residency requirement (for cheaper costs) but its nothing more than a FL drivers license and a piece of paper swearing that you lived here for 1 year. (I THINK)
    Last edited by owenscott; 07-09-2009 at 08:59 PM.

Forum Member

Really? In my new hire class, one was a graduate from Coral Springs' Fire Academy. He was from Palm Beach County. He was one of the top guys in our new hire class. We have civil service test, and the CPAT. In the CPAT there are few fire skills evolutions in it. MY department's hiring process was nearly 6 months long. "Survival of the fittest".

Good for him, I really mean that. I am not saying that ALL people who go to CS do bad or ALL people who go to the other schools I mentioned do good, I'm saying on AVERAGE people who got to CS do much more poorly. That is what I have witnessed many times while testing new hires. Same goes for Community College grads vs private EMS schools. Those who apply and went to a private "fast track" school on AVERAGE do MUCH more poorly than those who went to a Community College. If you had a choice knowing that where would you go?

As for our hiring..... App then FBI background, written fire/EMS, practical fire/EMS, interview, secondary background(includes face to face with your neighbors, former employers and references), voice stress analysis(better than a polygraph),psych eval, MRI on your back plus physical, chiefs interview and finally job offer. Oh and you need to have a valid CPAT card just to apply.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Thread Information