Forum Member

Default What to do with old Vehicle

What is an acceptable way to dispose of a vehicle that AFG has replaced. Can it be given to another Department as long as it is not used for emergency response? What have you done with yours?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by grasstrimmer View Post
    What is an acceptable way to dispose of a vehicle that AFG has replaced. Can it be given to another Department as long as it is not used for emergency response? What have you done with yours?
    From the FAQ's:

In my application, I indicated that my existing vehicle was unsafe and I would remove it from service. What do I need to do in order to comply with this requirement?

The unsafe vehicle cannot be used in emergency service. It cannot be sold, donated and/or given to another department. The unsafe vehicle may be traded in, taken to the junk yard for scrap, donated to a museum, relegated to farm use or given to a training academy as long as it will not be utilized for driver training (they could use it for training firefighters to operate the pump). In order to assure that an unsafe vehicle is removed, we'll require the grantee to transfer title of the vehicle to any individual or organization that is not in the business of providing first-responder services.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you didn't indicate it was a safety risk (just old) or if you didn't say it would come out of service then there are no restrictions on what you do with it. Several have been approved without saying the truck would be taken out of service. After all with only 1 truck in the fleet and needing a reserve, taking it out doesn't make sense from an operational standpoint.

Forum Member

I think I just said our 78 Ford Bronco was just old. Of course actually responding in it for a call is something of a gamble. If we get our grant I hope to move the engine to more of a parade status and leave it be at that.

Thread Information