MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire/building Code help

I have heard of several departments that have Fire/Building codes that require that radios can transmit out of newly constructed buildings. If the Department radios cannot transmit then the owner of the building is required to put in an antenna to boost reception so a Firefighter can transmit from inside the structure.

Does anyone have a similar policy? if so can you email me it amoore@botetourt.org
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Hmmm......

I have not heard of such a rule in Wisconsin. Maybe it just hasn't flowed north to me yet, who knows.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I'm not from Wisconsin, but I'm going to say that this is pretty unlikely.

Just adding an antenna somewhere isn't going to help anything either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT284 View Post
    I have heard of several departments that have Fire/Building codes that require that radios can transmit out of newly constructed buildings. If the Department radios cannot transmit then the owner of the building is required to put in an antenna to boost reception so a Firefighter can transmit from inside the structure.

Does anyone have a similar policy? if so can you email me it amoore@botetourt.org
    Our regional comm's board looked at recommending legislation requiring in building repeaters for buildings over a certain square footage or height. Basically most of our portable radios cannot reach dispatch from inside these building and this was one possible answer. Of course it was looked at by local communities as "anti-business" as it would increase the project costs for these buildings. The idea sort of fell apart when it moved to the State Communications groups and or Chief's organizations I guess as I've not heard a whisper about it in over 3 years. Too bad, this is one type of legislation that would benefit all FD's, VFD or paid, PD's, EMS, etc. so it would seem easy to get a good base movement to ensure our safety in the future.

IIRC there are a few states that have adopted similar legislation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Our regional comm's board looked at recommending legislation requiring in building repeaters for buildings over a certain square footage or height. Basically most of our portable radios cannot reach dispatch from inside these building and this was one possible answer. Of course it was looked at by local communities as "anti-business" as it would increase the project costs for these buildings. The idea sort of fell apart when it moved to the State Communications groups and or Chief's organizations I guess as I've not heard a whisper about it in over 3 years. Too bad, this is one type of legislation that would benefit all FD's, VFD or paid, PD's, EMS, etc. so it would seem easy to get a good base movement to ensure our safety in the future.

IIRC there are a few states that have adopted similar legislation.

Wouldn't you just need your portable radios to reach the IC outside the building, and not to dispatch when operating at a scene?

If you did need to reach dispatch, a repeater in your apparatus sounds like a much better solution to this problem, that way you bring them with you to each call instead of relying on a machine in a building which you do not control. Should save quite a bit of money with just a few units as opposed to many in different buildings.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KB1OEV View Post
    Wouldn't you just need your portable radios to reach the IC outside the building, and not to dispatch when operating at a scene?

If you did need to reach dispatch, a repeater in your apparatus sounds like a much better solution to this problem, that way you bring them with you to each call instead of relying on a machine in a building which you do not control. Should save quite a bit of money with just a few units as opposed to many in different buildings.
    This doesn't help EMS crews or PD units contact dispatch in their routine duties. I agree the issue is not between the interior and the IC. The issue was the cost of outfitting apparatus with repeaters and passing it on to those building such buildings And no their taxes don't cut it, especially due to tax break incentives.

Forum Member

There is no 100% coverage radio system, unless you have extremely deep pockets and can put repeaters everywhere.

We have a few buildings that tend to "eat up" signals. One has to remember that your portable radio is probably putting out a max of 4 to 5 watts. Truck mounted radios put out about 20-25, if I recall correctly.

We have the units in the building go direct (not the repeater channel) if we are in a radio "dead zone" and someone is tasked to repeat the message to Fire Alarm on the repeated channel.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

We had mobile repeaters installed in our rigs a couple of years back on a sub-frequency of one of our operations channels. It has done a good job in eliminating most of our dead zones in our large commercial and residential structures. They were quite the expense, with the repeaters along with having to get every radio reprogrammed.

Thread Information