Thread: Calfire 2010

Forum Member

Default Calfire 2010

Hello everyone, I was looking for some information about CALFIRE hiring for next year. I looked around and found all the information available on this site and others and just had a couple questions about making myself more marketable for the position. I am a Volunteer Firefighter in NY with about 7 years of experience and would like to head out West next summer to do some wildland firefighting and after researching it looks as though CALFIRE is the way to go for a number of reasons. Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting hired next year, classes or anything? Also I was wondering if anyone had any insight into which Units are good units to apply with, I would like to go someplace which sees a fair amount of fire, but is also a good place to work, ie good bosses, aggressive, and most importantly safety conscience. I know this might not be the best time to ask because it is the busy season out there, but I would like to prepare so that I can be one of the first to put my application in come November.

John 15:13

First off you will want to look into getting into the calfire wildland mini academy they hold once or twice a year. It is a 60ish hour academy and is a prerequisite to getting hired.

Find out when the next one is and come out for it.

It will not show as a minimum requirement on their website but when I spoke to them last year they had not hired anyone in years without it. Even if you already have FF1, etc.

Thread Information