Default Austin FD Staffing Diverse Rollerblading Shirtless Firefighters

Since Chief Rhoda May Kerr's Arrival January 30th 2009 She has....

Attempted to Reduce Staffing (still tbd)

http://www.firerescue1.com/legislati...library-hours/

Promoted 2 Lt.'s to Assistant Chief. Passing up many "more" qualified/higher ranking Firefighters. Because..."It's important, first of all that our executive team does have some diversity"

http://www.news8austin.com/content/t...sp?ArID=240564

Tarnished 150 plus years of tradition/professionalism by condoning and then lying about Austin Firefighter's actions in a recent pride parade.

http://www.firearmsafety.blogspot.com/

You're Welcome Little Rock
    Last edited by cotts1010; 06-30-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: fix somethings/title

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cotts1010 View Post

4 is not enough! 3 is bloody well dangerous to both FF and Austins citizens!

Promoted 2 Lt.'s to Assistant Chief. Passing up many "more" qualified/higher ranking Firefighters. Because..."It's important, first of all that our executive team does have some diversity"

I was always of the opinion that all personnel on a Fire Dept have experience and knowledge.

Tarnished 150 plus years of tradition/professionalism by condoning and then lying about Austin Firefighter's actions in a recent pride parade.

Political correctness becomes rampant. Does she mean to promote these guys simply on basis of skin color. Are there no exams or knowledge based tests involved?

She already promoted them. Assistant Chief is an Appointed position approved by city council. No exam or knowledge based test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Welcome to the club, I am north of you. I feel your pain!

Forum Member

Its payback time to you longhorns ---- enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Its payback time to you longhorns ---- enjoy

Sorry slackjawedyoke, I'm a LSU fan. But I guess it isn't too bad The Austin Fire Department just got a NEW LOGO! Whoopie!

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...refighter.html

It's good to know that Rhoda May is earning all of her $160,000 a year by focusing on the REALLY important issues like logo design instead of trying to keep 4 people on the Fire Trucks.

Forum Member

Chief has to make their mark on the department. Ours did the exact same thing but our is much more hideous. The design is so busy and heavy it rips our polo shirts along the edge of the logo.

Banned

The times they area changing. Government is just another business, the only difference is that government has a monopoly and they can charge the citizens whatever they want, and the citizens have to pay. In tough times businesses cut back. Governments should have to do the same.

We have paid departments around here that run 2 on a truck. They rely on callbacks and mutual aid as needed. It is funny, becuase the debate abut how many people on a truck is optimal will rage for years. It is clearly somewhere between 1 and 11. Each situation is different. I can't set here and say how many are absolutely needed on a truck. When talking about firefighting, fire fighters tend to take the high road screaming people will die if we don't get what we want. It would be refreshing just one time to see fire fighters saying "let's see how we can make this work". Then again, I prefer optimism to pessimism.

B Shifter

Sorry slackjawedyoke, I'm a LSU fan. But I guess it isn't too bad The Austin Fire Department just got a NEW LOGO! Whoopie!

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...refighter.html

It's good to know that Rhoda May is earning all of her $160,000 a year by focusing on the REALLY important issues like logo design instead of trying to keep 4 people on the Fire Trucks.
    The new AFD patch is HORRIFIC!

Lets compare the existing patch vs. the new one... exisiting patch created by an Austin Firefighter over 40 years ago. The new patch was designed by a "freelance artist" (i.e no job) and was given $100 to come up with the "design". The existing patch has tradition whereas the new design looks like an idea for a cartoon that wen horribly wrong.

Lets examine the current state for fire and emergency services... budget shortfalls, pays cuts, layoffs, vacant positions unfilled and/or eliminated, impacts to service delivery, and etc. All these important issues and someone has enough free time to worry about updating a 40 year-old patch that the rank and file are proud of? Talk about time management skills!

You'll find that new Fire Chiefs typically do one or all of the following fairly quickly to give everyone the IMPRESSION that they are really doing something: change the patch; change the uniforms, add a reflective stripe here and there; and/or change the color of something.

Additionally, new administrators will often change the rules/regs & policies/procedures for one reason - they don't know them! Nevermind that our organization has grown and evolved over many years to get to where we are today (good or bad). Every organization is different and requires is own set of rules to handle the issues specifically unique to that community. A new administrator rarely wants to learn rule after rule; SOP after SOP. What is the easy fix? Change ALL the rules so that the only person that does know them is the new administrator. Again, it's PERCEPTION that they are hoping for to make folks think that they have something really important to say and have the ability to manage change and lead people based on all of the management/leadership books they have read.

All organization change over time. It is evitable. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, however, When the tail is wagging the dog, it is time to stop, take and break, and re-evaluate the situation. Why not ask the firefighters for help? They have a vested interest in the FD's success.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    The times they area changing. Government is just another business, the only difference is that government has a monopoly and they can charge the citizens whatever they want, and the citizens have to pay. In tough times businesses cut back. Governments should have to do the same.

The times are not changing one bit economically. We have these cyclic down turns in the economy all the time. The only difference this time is the absolute greed of corporations and the mindless complicity of the past 2 administrations. All of the upswings in the economy were phony and manipulated. When they began to collapse like dominoes so did the economy as a whole. Add in the ridiculous profiteering by the oil companines and the cost of the wars and BINGO...hardtimes.

We have paid departments around here that run 2 on a truck. Doesn't make it right or safe, for the community or the firefighters. They rely on callbacks and mutual aid as needed. False sense of security for the community. In fact I will go as far as to say it is lieing to the community about the level of fire protection they have. It is also taking advantage of your neighbors if you expect that they will be there for every working fire you have because you won't staff your own FD adequately. Funny thing is you can't respond in kind because you don't have adequate staffing to help them when they need it. It is funny, becuase the debate abut how many people on a truck is optimal will rage for years. No, it won't. Repeated studies have been done and have shown the proper staffing for different locations and work loads. None of the studies have ever disputed that at a minimum a staffing of 4 per engine and truck is needed and in some circumstances staffing of 6 may be needed. It's about safety and work load. One would think you would be on board with that. Unless you are another volly that hates paid firefighters and is to blinded by that to see the true issues. It is clearly somewhere between 1 and 11. Each situation is different. I can't set here and say how many are absolutely needed on a truck. You don't have to. Once again, multiple studies have been done. When talking about firefighting, fire fighters tend to take the high road screaming people will die if we don't get what we want. What we want? Sure, I'll play along with your inflammatory statement. You know what I want? Enough guys to do the job safely, quickly and efficiently. People WILL and HAVE DIED if staffing is cut and stations close. Read the stories on the front page and you can see that. Although, that would take effort from you that you don't need to use to just spew BS about topics you know nothing about. It would be refreshing just one time to see fire fighters saying "let's see how we can make this work". The part you always fail to see is we get no choice in the matter and we get nonsense shoved down our throats all the time that we have to make work. It doesn't matter if we know more of us will be injured or die, or that more civilians will be injured or die, because some penny pinching bastard has made the decision, not us. Then again, I prefer optimism to pessimism. No, like your comrade in arms, you prefer to be a pot stirring turd and pontificate on topics where you have no knowledge. This topic is a prime example, multiple studies have been done on staffing levels and some have been published in the national fire mags. If you knew a tenth as much about the fire service as you try to pretend to you would know that. Again, it is easier for you to spew ignorant, uninformed, inflammatory nonsense then to do the work to be able to speak intelligently on this topic, or others for that matter.

Do a little research, ask questions if you don't know, and stop trying to be an expert on the paid service because you have no real world knowledge of it.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 07-07-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Forum Member

We have paid departments around here that run 2 on a truck. They rely on callbacks and mutual aid as needed. It is funny, becuase the debate abut how many people on a truck is optimal will rage for years. It is clearly somewhere between 1 and 11. Each situation is different. I can't set here and say how many are absolutely needed on a truck. When talking about firefighting, fire fighters tend to take the high road screaming people will die if we don't get what we want. It would be refreshing just one time to see fire fighters saying "let's see how we can make this work". Then again, I prefer optimism to pessimism.

that is plain idiocy. A fire dept. that willfully accepts budget cuts that will hurt it, such as staffing cuts, they should raise heck over it. if they don't they obviously don't care about protecting lives and property

Other things youve said in the past I could respect and see as a difference in opinion. But this is blatant insanity or just plain old trolling.

MembersZone Subscriber

When talking about firefighting, fire fighters tend to take the high road screaming people will die if we don't get what we want. It would be refreshing just one time to see fire fighters saying "let's see how we can make this work".
    First, I believe the above method of getting what we want would be considered the "low road" by most, the "high road" is generally considered the more morally sound approach, sucha as to be "above such tactics".

Second, WE'VE BEEN MAKIN' IT WORK FOREVER!!!!!! At what point does getting by just not cut it!!! If you cannot conduct initial operations within the 1710 guidelines, you're just "getting by"!

"Let's see how we can make this work!" You must be a politician, you cannot have possibly spent any time in a firehouse short of some of the Fiefdoms in Long Island!

Forum Member

i find it interesting when chiefs make "their mark" on a dept with uniform policies or new patch designs.

Too bad about having to ride with 3. Our mayor is resigning and we were just discussing at the station the other day that a few of the candidates for mayor are not pro fire dept. Hopefully we will not end up in the same situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by led219 View Post
    i find it interesting when chiefs make "their mark" on a dept with uniform policies or new patch designs.

Too bad about having to ride with 3. Our mayor is resigning and we were just discussing at the station the other day that a few of the candidates for mayor are not pro fire dept. Hopefully we will not end up in the same situation.
    Man I hear you! I am from Memphis and when friends of mine called to tell me he resigned, I asked who is next? I really dont know your budget. From what I hear! and I will say again FROM WHAT I HEAR! He gave alot to the Fire and Police as far as budget. If it is not true, please correct.

I am in a city with 2 times the population, we have less of everything you have, and hanging on to what we have now is going to be a challenge. I just hope the things that change will be for the best, for the saftey of the people we protect and the most, the Firefighter's that work! For everyone going through what we are about to go through here....BE SAFE AND GOD BLESS!

Thread Information