Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MCDivision

Thread: coral springs fire academy

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default coral springs fire academy

    has anyone had any experience with the coral springs fire academy?? I am gonna enroll for the sept class?? does anyone know anybody who went here??

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I know this might not help but there are some videos on youtube

    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Delray Beach, Fl. USA
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I went to PBCC Lake Worth but from what I have heard from the Coral Springs Academy is that they are really tough when it comes to the physical part. Some say they do it on purpose to weed people out. Don't know if its true but I think they had like 40 people in a class and within like two or three weeks they had 18 or so. I have no proof that its true but thats just going by word of mouth. Make sure your in shape because if your not its just gonna hold you back. Good luck and have fun!
    ~Jon~

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default Csfa

    i went to CSFA prior to the move into the new building and it was a great academy. i've heard the rumor that CSFA is more physical than a lot of academies, but they only want to push you beyond your perceived limit. as long as you work hard and try your best they will help you make what ever marks are set for you. good luck.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Coral springs fire academy is a crappy little dump

    At orientation, you'll be told by the silly *** who runs the school that Coral Springs Fire Academy is "one of the best academies in the southeast US." That's the only place you'll hear this, and after speaking to dozens of firefighters since I graduated, I've easily come to the conclusion that CSFA does not have the equipment, the resources, or the quality instructors to compete with better schools like Palm Beach State College. In fact, of the six fire academies I've visited since I graduated, CSFA was by far the smallest and worst-equipped! Fellow firefighters who went to other school got to experience so many things my fellow CSFA students did not get to do.

    Coral Springs Fire Academy is a money pit. You can get a refund up until the end of the 3rd day of classes. After that, your money's "buying me a new truck" according to my instructor. This is why they give you the physical hell day on your 4th day. Graduation rates are roughly 40%, which I believe is caused by the fact that CSFA wants your money, but does not care about you graduating or getting a job. Once you start your term you'll spend the next 3 months listening to a variety of jackass firefighters screaming at you for doing exactly what another instructor just told you to do. You'll get lunatic instructors like Lt. Pecora who order 15 "towers" (going up and down a 4-story tower for approximately an hour in full bunker gear) for...well, nobody ever knew what for. You'll have other jackass instructors ordering pushups for speaking spanish. The instructors constantly make jokes about gays followed by the phrase "not that there's anything wrong with that." I joke about gays myself, but I'm not an instructor at a fire academy talking to kids who may be gay. You'll prob be told the first day the only acceptable answers to any question are "yes sir", "no sir" and "no excuses sir". Then you'll be told to run towers for using these answers. The next day you'll be running towers for NOT using these answers. No two instructors seem to agree on anything as far as what the rules of the academy are. Yanayon's one of the nicest instructors. Pecora will seem great at first and then you'll realize he's looney-tunes in the head.

    As far as I'm concerned, another academy would have prob spent more time teaching us and less time having us do pushups, screaming at us, and insulting us. Almost 3 years later, I wish I'd gone anywhere else.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    149

    Default

    I'd go to Broward Fire Academy over Coral Springs. Just the difference in cost alone should be enough to change your mind.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Looking for any old thread to bring back to life? Nice little rant there. Just wonder why your so bitter over an academy experience and why 3 years later?. Makes me think that after 3 years you still can't find a job or maybe you didn't finish and you were one of the weaklings that got weeded out right away and didn't get your money back. Instead of blaming your instructors maybe you should have put the extra work in yourself and stop expecting to given everything because this job is earned with hard work. I work with a couple of guys that graduated from there and have nothing but good things to say about them. Graduation rates maybe low from the initial starting classes but I'm sure that they probably have a much higher rate for the state exam. Most people that graduate from any academy have pride that they finished through it. To hear you whine about everything makes me think that you didn't make the cut. Why don't you check with the instructors from all the academies you visit and ask them to show you the annual state graduation rates and then maybe you realize that the academy wasn't the problem, it was you.
    FFRANCE likes this.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    I'm not in South FL, but I know folks in the area, including a family member that went through that academy. I've actually heard things similar to what "whosaidwhatwhen" mentioned about different academies in South FL. Although the one about "buying me a new truck" is a new one to me. I didn't know you could buy a new truck based on $22 an hr for 12 weeks.

    Anyhow, I've heard so many stories (through others and firsthand) about FF's coming out of the acdemies and never being able to land a job down there, or anywhere in FL for that matter. It does seem like the schools in FL are money pits, I agree with that as well. Some of the figures are inflated (ex: 70% of our grads get a job within 6 months, etc.). I DONT THINK SO. I've never been told that figure personally, but I know others' have. While I do think there are some great instructors and academies in FL, I'd be concerened about spending all that money to go to the academy and never getting a job in the state.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCDivision View Post
    Looking for any old thread to bring back to life? Nice little rant there. Just wonder why your so bitter over an academy experience and why 3 years later?. Makes me think that after 3 years you still can't find a job or maybe you didn't finish and you were one of the weaklings that got weeded out right away and didn't get your money back. Instead of blaming your instructors maybe you should have put the extra work in yourself and stop expecting to given everything because this job is earned with hard work. I work with a couple of guys that graduated from there and have nothing but good things to say about them. Graduation rates maybe low from the initial starting classes but I'm sure that they probably have a much higher rate for the state exam. Most people that graduate from any academy have pride that they finished through it. To hear you whine about everything makes me think that you didn't make the cut. Why don't you check with the instructors from all the academies you visit and ask them to show you the annual state graduation rates and then maybe you realize that the academy wasn't the problem, it was you.

    I'd also be very curious as to what percentage of grads have a FF job within 1 yr. That's something I'd want to see.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I went to CSFA. Yeah you PT like crazy and yeah he talks about being the best academy. What he means is its the best state pass rate which i think they did in 2007. In 2011 they got the fire academy of the year. Go look at the percentage of any academy grads that get jobs in one year and i bet they are all low. In fact i cant name any in my class that have gotten a job in a year after graduation. I can tell you that all the sharp students and the ones who worked instead of complaining about towers all have been hired even one by FDNY. It has been 2 and a half years almost since i finished. And i am proud to say i went there. Yeah it was expensive and some schools you learn more or less than others but you get what you put in and thats with any program including paramedic school.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsm13 View Post
    I went to CSFA. Yeah you PT like crazy and yeah he talks about being the best academy. What he means is its the best state pass rate which i think they did in 2007. In 2011 they got the fire academy of the year. Go look at the percentage of any academy grads that get jobs in one year and i bet they are all low. In fact i cant name any in my class that have gotten a job in a year after graduation. I can tell you that all the sharp students and the ones who worked instead of complaining about towers all have been hired even one by FDNY. It has been 2 and a half years almost since i finished. And i am proud to say i went there. Yeah it was expensive and some schools you learn more or less than others but you get what you put in and thats with any program including paramedic school.

    Have you got hired anywhere in FL yet, or have you moved out of state?

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Yes within commuting distance from home
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    Have you got hired anywhere in FL yet, or have you moved out of state?

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsm13 View Post
    Yes within commuting distance from home
    sweet. so it took you about 2.5 yrs to get hired?

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whosaidwhatwhen View Post
    At orientation, you'll be told by the silly *** who runs the school that Coral Springs Fire Academy is "one of the best academies in the southeast US." That's the only place you'll hear this, and after speaking to dozens of firefighters since I graduated, I've easily come to the conclusion that CSFA does not have the equipment, the resources, or the quality instructors to compete with better schools like Palm Beach State College. In fact, of the six fire academies I've visited since I graduated, CSFA was by far the smallest and worst-equipped! Fellow firefighters who went to other school got to experience so many things my fellow CSFA students did not get to do.

    Coral Springs Fire Academy is a money pit. You can get a refund up until the end of the 3rd day of classes. After that, your money's "buying me a new truck" according to my instructor. This is why they give you the physical hell day on your 4th day. Graduation rates are roughly 40%, which I believe is caused by the fact that CSFA wants your money, but does not care about you graduating or getting a job. Once you start your term you'll spend the next 3 months listening to a variety of jackass firefighters screaming at you for doing exactly what another instructor just told you to do. You'll get lunatic instructors like Lt. Pecora who order 15 "towers" (going up and down a 4-story tower for approximately an hour in full bunker gear) for...well, nobody ever knew what for. You'll have other jackass instructors ordering pushups for speaking spanish. The instructors constantly make jokes about gays followed by the phrase "not that there's anything wrong with that." I joke about gays myself, but I'm not an instructor at a fire academy talking to kids who may be gay. You'll prob be told the first day the only acceptable answers to any question are "yes sir", "no sir" and "no excuses sir". Then you'll be told to run towers for using these answers. The next day you'll be running towers for NOT using these answers. No two instructors seem to agree on anything as far as what the rules of the academy are. Yanayon's one of the nicest instructors. Pecora will seem great at first and then you'll realize he's looney-tunes in the head.

    As far as I'm concerned, another academy would have prob spent more time teaching us and less time having us do pushups, screaming at us, and insulting us. Almost 3 years later, I wish I'd gone anywhere else.
    For what it's worth, you signed up to go there. You should have known what to expect by talking to people, asking, doing research, going to fire stations asking questions, etc etc.
    Last edited by flashpo1nt; 04-26-2012 at 10:37 AM.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I would say 1 year because i had to do paramedic school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    sweet. so it took you about 2.5 yrs to get hired?

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsm13 View Post
    I would say 1 year because i had to do paramedic school.

    Wow, good job. Unfortunately I've heard anywhere from 2-3 yrs, 7 yrs, to never over and over lol.

    How did you get on so quickly?
    Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 04-26-2012 at 09:05 PM.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    the desire to want to succeed with some luck

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Coral Springs Fla--Fire Guts Apartment
    By captstanm1 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 08:04 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 07:40 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 07:41 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2003, 11:30 AM
  5. Coral Springs Muti-Alarm House Fire
    By Rocket in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-1999, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register