Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KB1OEV

Thread: Simple Pager Comparison

Forum Member

Default Simple Pager Comparison

Hey I am looking into getting a new pager because my Minitor 3 went south. I have searched many different forums for opinions on the Minitor 4 and the 5. From my dept. I've only herd that people don't like the bigger size of the Min5, this doesn't matter to me however. I am looking for just a simple comparison of the Min4 Vs. the Min5. Any problems you've run into or anything would be great, thanks.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

The IV's were junk from the beginning and were recalled by the factory. The one we had returned /repaired have been ok since their return. The V's we bought have been nothing but trouble between bad chargers and proprietary battery issues. We are now buying a different brand. motorola has stopped building any good pagers.

Forum Member

As I said in the other forum...
    The 4 is the same as the 3. The only difference is the knobs click and they made the case a little different. It is the same boards, the same guts, the same piece of junk. They basically re-cased a worthless pile of trash and gave it a new name. Do not waste your time or money on a 3 or 4. They are identical pieces of crap.

The 5 is completely different. It is much better.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonezy View Post
    I am looking for just a simple comparison of the Min4 Vs. the Min5. Any problems you've run into or anything would be great, thanks.
    Min IV Pros:
    1) Uses AAA batts, so in a pinch you can install some Duracells to bridge the gap.
    2) Thin size
    3) Very few problems with the chargers.

Min IV Cons:
    1) Batteries last only for a day
    2) Only receives "Wideband" (although it will work on a Narrowband system)
    3) Most common damage is to the tone detection board right near the belt clip. Eventually the pager will stop alerting (but monitor fine)

Min V Pros:
    1) Batteries last for approx 3 days between charge
    2) Can be set for Wide or Narrow Band
    3) Slightly better receive, assigned them to a couple of members in a hard area to receive in and they did better than the 4's. (might be related to that we are Narrow Band)

Min V Cons:
    1) Uses a proprietary battery, so you cannot throw in Duracells to get you through a storm-standby.
    2) Constant problems with the chargers, high pitched squeal or whine, doesn't charge the battery.
    3) We have had more repairs to the 5's than the 4's. 70% of our pagers are Min IV, 30% are Min V, but the repairs are running about 60/40.

Most common repairs on the Min 4: Does not alert and belt clip snapped off.

Most common repairs on the Min 5: Pager will not power up or take a charge.

We have some members who do not under any circumstances want a Minitor V, to the point where they will show up with a broken belt clip and ask if I can swap them out, but only if it is a Min IV. They would rather live with a Min IV with a broken belt clip than to be assigned "one of those new ones!"

Others lust after the Minitor V, but that is most likely due to the fact that when we switched to UHF, we bulk purchased Min IV and to save a buck we purchased plain vanilla 1 channel units. When we needed to supplement the stock a few years later and were buying two or three at a time, the person ordering added Stored Voice. So around here, a Minitor V means you get Stored Voice.

Brian
    Last edited by SWFD22; 07-08-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Clarifying why the Min IV enthusiest wants to keep that model.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice job SWFD22! You basically said it all. I've been using the V now for 3 years so I'll add a few things. Most of the problems with the V's are being solved now but occasionaly a bad batch will come out. The V definitely gets the best reception and if you need multiple alerts the V is great for that too. The V is also much bigger than the IV but its still a pager and relatively small so after a little time you get use to it. Overall I definitely recommend the V to anyone looking for a new pager.

Forum Member

I disagree on the Min IV being junk. We do have repairs on them but they have been a workhorse for many departments around here. Biggest drawback for us is lack of water resistance.

The Minitor V has been for us a step backwards, because of the bigger size (WTF??) and proprietary battery. There are some nice new features but also some new problems as have been spelled out.

Numerous departments are looking at the Swissphone, but IMO its user interface leaves a LOT to be desired. The biggest pro for this one is the 5 tone compatibility.

Forum Member

I still prefer the trusty old Minitor II over all the others. They are available refurbished from many places for a reasonable price. Here is the price list at G&G Communications http://www.gcomradio.com/Min2.html

Forum Member

For the price of the Min V you can buy a two way with paging in it. If you want a page only unit get some Min 2s. Still hands down the best pager out there. They are not "narrowband" BUT they work fine with a narrowband signal.

MembersZone Subscriber

When FCC Narrowband requirement triggers (Jan 1, 2013) the only Minitor model that will be usable is V (or newer). Don't spend much on IV or older.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    When FCC Narrowband requirement triggers (Jan 1, 2013) the only Minitor model that will be usable is V (or newer). Don't spend much on IV or older.
    Not completely true. Yes the narrowband requirement is coming. However, a wideband pager will still pick up a narrowband signal, although it may be quieter and not receive quite as well as it did with wideband. You would really need to run some tests to determine if you can use your pagers effectively with narrowband transmitters.

The problems usually occur when transmitting wideband and listening on a narrowband receiver. In this configuration, some of the information in the signal is not received, so the result may be distorted.
    wkredick likes this.

Forum Member

Correct. Old wideband pagers WILL WORK FINE on a narrowband channel. You will lose a little bit of audio and a little of bit of fringe area coverage. However for the most part it will work fine.

With that said, yes the 5 is the only one that will actually program as narrow band
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I have tested the Min 2 with narrowband. They work fine. Not real hard to tweak the receive some on the bench to center it on the odd frequencies either. They are still hands down the best pager out there.
    Plus keep in mind that if your on lowband the narrowband crap doesn't apply.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Correct. Old wideband pagers WILL WORK FINE on a narrowband channel. You will lose a little bit of audio and a little of bit of fringe area coverage. However for the most part it will work fine.

With that said, yes the 5 is the only one that will actually program as narrow band
    After NB changeover, will an old Minitor 4 be suitable for tripping a relay (siren, door, etc)?

Will be replacing our old 4 as and handhelds with an AFG coming out this week.

Forum Member

the stored voice aspect is lusted after around here as well. I don't mind the large, bulky size of the V so much as the almost worthless beltclip. I know it's a bit of a balancing act - you don't want the damned thing stuck on your belt while trying to yank it and throw it in your locker while putting on your turnout gear... I've had it happily disconnect itself from my belt without provocation several times. Not a huge deal, but definitely annoying at times.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    After NB changeover, will an old Minitor 4 be suitable for tripping a relay (siren, door, etc)?

Will be replacing our old 4 as and handhelds with an AFG coming out this week.
    As long as the 4 isn't in a fringe coverage area it should still work fine for that.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been carrying a beta model of a new version of the Swissphone RE729. Have not used the current model so not sure what has changed other than easier to change volume.

I like it. smaller but seems more durable that Minitor. Better warranty (2yr) and $100 less expensive.

Thread Information