Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    PIERCE / 75′ ALUMINUM LADDER 2003-2009
    PIERCE / PUC PUMPER 2003-2009
    PIERCE / REAR MOUNT PUMPER 2003-2009
    Manufacturer: PIERCE MANUFACTURING Mfrís Report Date: JUN 24, 2009
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V238000 N/A NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: STRUCTURE:BODYOOR
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 284
    Summary: PIERCE IS RECALLING 248 MODEL YEAR 2003 THROUGH 2009 FIRE APPARATUS BODIES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN DECEMBER 10, 2003 AND MARCH 9, 2009, AND MAY HAVE BEEN EQUIPPED WITH DUAL SCBA CYLINDER STORAGE COMPARTMENTS. THESE COMPARTMENTS EXTEND INBOARD HORIZONTALLY FROM THE SIDE OF THE REAR BODY. THE SCBA COMPARTMENT DOOR LATCH MAY HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED INCORRECTLY, ALLOWING THE DOOR TO POP OPEN WITHOUT WARNING WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION.
    Consequence: IF THE DOOR OPENS, THE SCBA CYLINDERS MAY FALL OUT OF THE COMPARTMENT AND ONTO THE ROADWAY, POSSIBLY BECOMING ROAD HAZARD TO OTHER MOTORISTS WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy: PIERCE WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PIERCE AT 1-920-832-3000.
    Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONíS VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Talking Whew!

No Appleton Kool Aid here. My dept likes the fellas on the West side of the state.

But, I guess it COULD happen to ANYONE.......... Right??????

And once again, a very huge THANK YOU to FWD for the PSA.

I think the Kool Aid gods are angry.

Local news channel captured this photo of a break-in at FWDBuffs residence following his post..

When the culprits saw the pristine condition of the antique FWD wagon in his garage, they were in shock and awe until formally greeted with an ***-rearranging by FWDBUFF himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter807 View Post
    Thanks Buff!

Great to hear that Pierce, once again, steps up to the plate to take care of their customers.
    I'm guessing if the big "P" could get away with not replacing them, they would. However, they more than likely had a close call somewhere and instead of taking on a potential law suit, they decided to make the change.

They're looking out for themselves a lot more then they are looking out for there customers. This ultimately cuts into the bottom line and with the way the economy is I'm guessing they looked at many alternatives to try and find a way not to do this.

I would be interested to know what the actual "fix" is? If your beloved "P" is so great, why did it take them 7 years to catch this?

Thanks Buff!

Great to hear that Pierce, once again, steps up to the plate to take care of their customers.
    1. If you are insinuating that I was busting Pierce's balls with this post, you are wrong. I received it in my personal email, so I figured I would post it here for anyone who may not have been aware of it.

2. I bet lunch that the only reason they are "stepping up to the plate" is because they were mandated to by the NHTSA, which is usually the case when these notices are issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    I think the Kool Aid gods are angry.

Local news channel captured this photo of a break-in at FWDBuffs residence following his post..

When the culprits saw the pristine condition of the antique FWD wagon in his garage, they were in shock and awe until formally greeted with an ***-rearranging by FWDBUFF himself.
    ***-rearranging courtesy of Black Talon and Sig Sauer.

Yeah,the Letters NHTSA don't compute to voluntary compliance. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Yeah,the Letters NHTSA don't compute to voluntary compliance. T.C.
    The words" you will do a recall " don't usually come from NHTSA until after there have been fatalities due to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    The words" you will do a recall " don't usually come from NHTSA until after there have been fatalities due to the problem.
    I disagree. They usually come after numerous complaints from users of the vehicles in question, after independent resources have determined that yes, there is indeed a legitimate problem that could lead to injury or death, and after the manufacturer brushes off the problem saying "Nahhhh it's just your imagination."

Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    This well established non-Kool Aid drinker did a little quick on line research by plugging the recall number into the recall section of NHTSA's web site. It would appear that Pierce, based on five reports (complaints by owners?) of incidents, did initiate the action. A report to NHTSA is a legal requirement.

The incidents are from November, 2008 through May, 2009. Pierce's letter to NHTSA is dated June 24, 2009, received by NHTSA on June 25 and replied to on June 29.

From my lengthy experiences with written communications to other agencies within DOT, that's blazing, record speed.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

CE11, the only guy who makes sense all of the time, one cool, smart oldtimer.

What the heck happened when his apple fell off the tree!?!?!?

Sam, anything happening with Karl? Please e-mail me.

Yo Tony,you never did tell me where you were hidin' in Springfield.Or where the Big Metz is hiding. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Latch Manufacturer ???

Are the latches made by Pierce or are they from an outside vendor. Maybe this could be an issue for other manufaturers, as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

You looked like "a kid in a candy store" giving those rides, I watched you for awhile then had to get moving, when I came back the Smeal Guys were packing up and T.C. was nowhere in sight.

I don't know when we'll get a T-Rex Demo, I think Todd is trying to get one ready for FDIC. I might be up your way around the 13th.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne755 View Post
    Are the latches made by Pierce or are they from an outside vendor. Maybe this could be an issue for other manufaturers, as well.
    I don't know Pierce's manufacturing methods or philosophies, but I'd be surprised if they were made in house. Go into the NHTSA web site, pull up the correspondence and take a close look at the picture and description of the corrective measure. From reading it, I don't think that the latch assembly itself is the problem.

One can only guess at how well the fix will hold up over years of firefighter use. Remember steel balls and rubber rooms!

Tony, I will e-mail you tonight or over the weekend. I have your address in my home computer, but not here in the firehouse.

Do you have ANY evidence that Pierce did that? Or is it your motive to slam Pierce and you are waiting for (perhaps creating) an opportunity to go off in one of your irrational and childish tirades?

Shall we digress back into speculation and rumor mongering?

Do YOU have any evidence that they DIDN'T?
    And as I previously posted, I received the original message in an email. In the interest of informing those whom own Pierce apparatus that may not have been aware of this, I created the thread to make them aware. As usual, YOU then decided to turn the thread into a childish tirade.

Now, if you want to accuse me of slamming Pierce, why don't you grow a set of balls and do it to my face?

Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Forum Member

Wow, our Pierce has been great over the years.

Thread Information