Forum Member

Default recommend a DoD fire department?

My husband has about 16 months left as a active duty firefighter. Currently we are at Fort Rucker, AL and are considering going DoD FF once his contract is up. How hard is it to go from active duty FF to DoD FF? Would you recommend a specific location? It sounds like it may be easy for him to transition to the stage fields and stay where we are only go DoD but we were really hoping to move a bit more north - maybe KY or TN type area.......

Thanks!
    Kristina

Forum Member

The hardest part of transitioning from AD to DoD civ is getting your foot on the door. i know because i just went through that process. just make sure he reads the announcement very carefully... they have what is called KSAs (Knowledge skills and abilities). Ensure (stressing here) that he reads those and tailors his resume to mirror those.

Example:
    1. Knowledge of hazardous materials emergency response procedures, equipment, and identification.
    ...He would write: "I have knowledge of hazardous materials emergency response procedures, equipment, and identification because...."

WWW.USAJOBS.GOV is the single stop hiring website for all DoD fire jobs for external applicants (which he is if he has never worked for the governement before as civil service). After going through USAJOBS each service will have thier own hiring site that he will be directed to after applying for a job online.

When he applies for a fire job online, the computer will scan through all the resumes of all the applicants looking for those specific KSAs that was on the job announcement. He could be certified out the butt with tons of experience and even 5 or 10 veteran points... if he does not meet those KSAs the computer will reject his resume and he will not be in the pool of applicants.

Trust me, when I found that little golden jem of information and updated my resume, i got 4 job offers for DoD fire departments withing 2 months. I was able to start in federal fire 1 week after separating from the AF.

Also, it helps to know somebody at the department where he wants to go. Networking is a huge key also... unoficially speaking, of course.

If he has any questions or needs help, send me a PM and I will give him my email.

Good luck!

Forum Member

doug, i cant send you back a reply PM, it says you cant recieve them or you choose not to recieve them..

MembersZone Subscriber

The biggest problem I forsee for him in getting a DOD job is that in 16 months, BRAC/Priority Placement will be in full effect. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY who is not already in the system will be getting a job for probably 1-3 years. It pretty much sucks, and it's probably not the best news, but even being a vet at that point gets a lower priority than those who are losing thier jobs.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    The biggest problem I forsee for him in getting a DOD job is that in 16 months, BRAC/Priority Placement will be in full effect. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY who is not already in the system will be getting a job for probably 1-3 years. It pretty much sucks, and it's probably not the best news, but even being a vet at that point gets a lower priority than those who are losing thier jobs.
    Thank god for the stopper list! Saved my *** once!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Have your husband talk to the civilian chief at Fort Rucker and let him know he is interested in working on the DOD side of the house and also see when there will be openings. Fort Rucker may not be where he wants to stay but it can be a start to a career with DOD.

Forum Member

Getting in at Fort Rucker is one thing we have considered since he knows so many of the guys out here and has a good rep with the stage fields. I dont prefer to stay here but like ya'll said it might be a place to start and then transfer out.

What is BRAC/Priority Placement ? My husband will be out in 17 months - if that thing starts in 16 months is there a chance that he could get his stuff in order and be safe before that happens?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kristmatt View Post
    Getting in at Fort Rucker is one thing we have considered since he knows so many of the guys out here and has a good rep with the stage fields. I dont prefer to stay here but like ya'll said it might be a place to start and then transfer out.

What is BRAC/Priority Placement ? My husband will be out in 17 months - if that thing starts in 16 months is there a chance that he could get his stuff in order and be safe before that happens?
    I'm not an expert on this but I will try to help..
    BRAC is base realignment and closure and I think it basically means base closings due to funding issues...for instance I work at Hanscom AFB and there was talk before about closure here because it is not a very active base in terms of troops. PP means if you work in the federal system already, you get job priority if your base does happen to close. So if Hanscom was to close, the firefighters here automatically get offered jobs elsewhere (I believe you get 3 bases to choose from). To sum it up, the govt. protects those who are already in the system before they let new people/ non-vets into it. Hope that helps

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kristmatt View Post
    BRAC: base realignment and closure. Many are happening all over, especially in the eastern and mid-atlantic states. Two major facilities in between Philly and New York will close completely (NASJRB Willow Grove, Pa. and Fort Monmouth, NJ.)

Priority Placement (also known as the "Stopper List"): When a Career Status Federal Employee is a victim of a RIF (reduction in force, translation: LAYOFF) he or she gains priority hiring rights at any facility with open spots. They also have the right to "bump" Temp or Term employees (if their slots are dedicated permanent positions.)

Example: I was a victim of a RIF at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Fire Department in 1997. 11 positions were eliminated due to the loss of the ladder company. When you are entered into the Priority Placement System, not only do you get assistance with moving, but you also get help with housing allowances, etc. I was not interested in moving so it was a moot point. When you are put in the PP system, you select a geographic region you want to move to, and/or actual bases you want to work at. When I was notified I was being RIF'd, and filled out my PP paperwork, I selected 6 facilities I wanted a job at. Two of them had open slots. When I picked Aberdeen Proving Ground, unfortunately I "bumped" a Term employee who had been there for 2 years (who was later selected in another round of hiring.) It's just the nature of the beast. Did I feel bad? Sure, but I had my own mortgage to pay.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    BRAC: base realignment and closure. Many are happening all over, especially in the eastern and mid-atlantic states. Two major facilities in between Philly and New York will close completely (NASJRB Willow Grove, Pa. and Fort Monmouth, NJ.)

Priority Placement (also known as the "Stopper List"): When a Career Status Federal Employee is a victim of a RIF (reduction in force, translation: LAYOFF) he or she gains priority hiring rights at any facility with open spots. They also have the right to "bump" Temp or Term employees (if their slots are dedicated permanent positions.)

Example: I was a victim of a RIF at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Fire Department in 1997. 11 positions were eliminated due to the loss of the ladder company. When you are entered into the Priority Placement System, not only do you get assistance with moving, but you also get help with housing allowances, etc. I was not interested in moving so it was a moot point. When you are put in the PP system, you select a geographic region you want to move to, and/or actual bases you want to work at. When I was notified I was being RIF'd, and filled out my PP paperwork, I selected 6 facilities I wanted a job at. Two of them had open slots. When I picked Aberdeen Proving Ground, unfortunately I "bumped" a Term employee who had been there for 2 years (who was later selected in another round of hiring.) It's just the nature of the beast. Did I feel bad? Sure, but I had my own mortgage to pay.
    ...a little of main topic, but do you actually have to be a fed employee 3 years to get PP if RIFed? or after your 1 year probationary period..?

Forum Member

ah Ok, I undestand now. We are going to be talking with a friend of ours who is DoD here at Rucker and seems to be well versed in the hiring process and see what he thinks. I hate so much up in the air when it comes to the future.. blah!! Thanks all SO much for the information. I know I have asked a lot of questions over the past few months and Im sure there are more to come I will certainly post an update from us of how everything ends up going!

Thanks again!
    Kristina

Forum Member

good luck with finding a new home

Thread Information