MembersZone Subscriber

Default I need some guidance!!

Hi my name is Dan and I currently work for the US Forest Service and I have been looking into becoming a city fire fighter. I have my emt and 3 years as a seasonal paid fire fighter. Do you think I would have a good chance getting picked up on a dept. or should I continue more schooling and continue my exp. as a seasonal? If anyone has any ideas or if anyone can tell me exactly what is desired by many departments it would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Completely depends on the city you are testing with and the circumstances. I had ZERO experience and came from a corporate background (11 years exp.) I got my EMT-B on my own and tested, got hired 1 1/2 yrs ago and am having a blast.

Check with the city/cities you want to work for. Learn what their requirmements are (my city did NOT require the EMT-P, just needed the EMT-B cert) and apply for those that you meet the requirements for.

Definitely polish up on whatever skills you need to for EACH step in the process. Interview skills are a definite plus....practice them where you can. My dept. had mock interviews at houses and I took advantage of them.

Then, kill it on each step of the process.

I really can't give you any other advice.

Permanently Removed

Dan- City Firefighter? What City?

The very first thing you need to do is figure out where you want to work and live. Then find out what the reqs. and standards are in that area.

The hiring standards are different in TX than UT than NY and CA. Once you figure out where you want to work, then focus what you need to do.

Hope that helps,

Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like to work anywhere in northern California. i have second thoughts about going into local departments on asking questions because I feel I should show up in interview appearance to just ask some simple guidance questions. I have my emt, class b license, and 3 years of fire experience. Would having my firefighter 1 make that much of a difference and if so what are some recommended academy in northern California?

Thread Information