Default IFERNET portal is up

The International Fire and Emergency Responder Network Portal is up and running! Free to all Fire/EMS/and LEOs in the United States and Canada.
    First step is to get Homeland Security, Amber, and other important alerts out to Fire and EMS via SMS text , Nixle, Twitter, and email.

go to www.ifernet.info to register.

(due to the nature of the information shared, current employment is verified before alerts are activated)

Forum Member

How is the information you are getting considered sensitive? You are not agent of the government thus you don't have any sensitive information. To me it merely appears that you are correlating information from multiple sites.

The portal itself on the internet side does not contain any sensitive information. Membership and registration to the IFERNET network will however involve sensitive but unclassified information which will be distributed via email, sms, and twitter alerts. Once logged in on the secure side, SBU documents and bulletins are available for view and download. I'm currently volunteering my time in this project and I had earlier posted the below thread in the meet and greet section which better explains my involvement. please see below:

Hello. Im new a new user to firehouse.com I'm getting on several of the forum boards on the internet to make contacts and get feedback on information sharing between departments.

I am the Chief Information Technology Officer for Nlets (www.nlets.org) , a public safety network which connects all 50 states and any Federal Agency with a law enforcement component together for interstate exchange of driver's license data, criminal histories, warrant hit confirmations, homeland security messages, interstate amber alerts, gun checks, etc.

I have been working for several years to try to bring the fire community (including volunteer departments) into the law enforcement tent of information sharing. Working with several fire departments in the southwest ,we have put together a not for profit organization to build an information sharing network for fire that is similar to what we have in the law enforcement sector.

The not for profit is called IFERNET. (International Fire And Emergency Responder Network.) All of the board members including myself are volunteering their time and efforts. There is representation on the board from the Phoenix Fire Department, LA County Fire Department, Maricopa County Sheriffs Office, and ARJIS (Automated Regional Justice Information System) in San Diego to name a few.

The first step was to build an IFERNET internet portal and build a mechanism to get key information (such as DHS Homeland Security Alerts) from the law enforcement network and out to the Fire/EMS. We will be using things like SMS text and twitter to alert firefighters when a new message posts. We have teamed up with NIXLE www.nixle.com to share information from the fire network out to the public as needed.

The portal also provides several databases such as Hazmat, Weapons of mass destruction, Chemicals of concern, etc. We are building an automatic incident command center capability as well as a method for agency heads to broadcast messages to their men and women at the station or engine level. We hope to provide an online CAD system for volunteer departments in the near future. There is an area of the portal that will be for firefighter to firefighter communication as well as law enforcement to firefighter communication. We are also building an area to share and transfer equipment as well as an area to promote fire fighter owned side businesses.

The portal is and will always be FREE to all firefighters, EMS, and first responders. Please accept this post as an invitation to register to the portal at www.ifernet.info

Due to the nature of the information provided on the portal, all registrants will be vetted with their agency and current employment will be enforced.

I apologize for the long first post. I truly believe that this new organization will help bridge some of the gaps between Fire/EMS and the law enforcement community and will ultimately help save lives and protect property

Thanks for the opportunity to get the word out. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at frankminice@ifernet.org

Frank Lewis Minice
    CITO Nlets www.nlets.org
    President IFERNET www.ifernet.info

FF-EMT

Default No Thanks

I don't see a need for this and as a private not for profit agency, I don't even see why you need to add layers to the process with private agencies. I see no reason for me to register.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

I appreciate your candidness on this and I am very interested in hearing about how your agency currently shares information with other agencies and with law enforcement. Itís been my experience thus far that some states have better communication between departments and between law enforcement than others.

From the Nlets perspective, the only fire department personnel connected to the system are agencies classified as law enforcement. This is usually limited to arson investigators carrying a badge and gun. State TLO representatives are usually connected to a state fusion center which allows for great communication as they are connected to the state law enforcement network (which is connected to Nlets, the FBI, and the HSIN network.) At least for homeland security issues, the reach needs to be much broader IMO.

As for a not for profitís role in public safety, not for profits actually have several benefits in that they can have representation/ownership across state lines and can be very nimble in their mission. Nlets is a not for profit connecting over 1 million law enforcement users in the United States and Canada. As a not for profit, Nlets is connected to the FBI and delivers every criminal history record in the united states as well as all interstate driverís stops and warrant confirmations. Each state owns one piece of the organization and shares in the leadership. It has been a very successful model for over 42 years and allows the states to have a combined voice at a national level. Other not for profits that I have had a great experience in working with are the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the National Insurance Crime Bureau, the Western Identification Network, National Vehicle Services, ARJIS, and CapWin. All have played a tremendous role in protecting lives and property. In my time working in information sharing for the law enforcement sector (going on 22 years now), I have anxiously waited for a national information sharing network of fire departments (both public and volunteer) to emerge. While I donít think itís the ultimate solution, I do think the IFERNET organization is a good step in the right direction and that is why I have volunteered my time with them.

Thread Information