Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cairns 1000/1010/1044 helmet users - What is your preferred eye protection?

I have been wearing a "turtle shell" style helmet for last 8 years or so- never had a traditional style helmet. I was just wondering what you guys with traditional helmets prefer.

I am going to go with a Cairns 1044, and I see that they make them with several different types of eye protection. I notice alot of people have the goggles, but IMO I don't ever see myself using those. I know they may "look cool" strapped updide down to the back of my helmet, but I don't really know if they would be practical in deploying them in an emergency situation. Most people that have these also have the little flaps attached to the underside of the front of the helmet. How well do these work?

They also offer a new thing called a "defender visor" which is basicly a pair of straight across safety glasses that retract into the inside of the helmet between the shell and impact cap. That looks really practical but I still don't know if I like it.

I guess the last but not least is the regular visor attached to the shell of the helmet which would of course get exposed to alot more heat and be prone to damage. I like these fine for eye protection, but they always seem to get damged by heat and scratches from stuff falling on them. I've been through so many that I don't know if I want to go down that road again.

Thanks for your info.

Forum Member

Some of the guys in my department have the new defender 1010 helmets. Haven't really heard much either way about them, but also don't see them deployed much.

The flip down face shield is mostly worthless as eye protection. It's secondary protection at best.

I don't wear a Cairns helmet myself, but my preferred eye protection is safety glasses.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Cairns Defender is one of the occasional great new ideas that come along. You eye protection will not be scratched or melted when you need it. Out of the way of helmet light.

Additional cost above 4" shield is minimal.

Bourkes cause they look cool and keep your googles in your pocket.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

MembersZone Subscriber

The dept bought our helmets (1044) with the 4" face shield, After having to dig a half inch piece of metal out of my cheek just below my eye I ripped off the sheild and just use saftey glasses. I have used the defender visor for a couple of extrication demo's and like it. If I buy a new helmet I will probably get that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the "little flaps"(bourkes) with goggles in my pocket.

Though the post sounds sincere, it is awefully suspicious.

Safety glasses that I keep in my pocket. I think they cost less then 10 bucks.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

We were issued helmets with the defender visor last year and I love it. The protection is there when you need it, no digging through pockets to find the safety glasses. It's protected and out of the way when you don't need it. I havn't had any problems with it fogging up like I did with goggles. I love the defender visors and would recommend them.

Been using 1010 for years now with defender visor. I love it. Best thing since sliced bread. only complaint i've heard have been with those whom wear glasses. but that has been back and forth with that issue.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

as a junior in our dept were required to have goggles on our lids so i have a yellow 1044 with bourkes and goggles stored on the back.

Forum Member

We are issued 1044's with the defender goggles and I like them alot. never had any problems with them. Although as someone else stated they dont really fit over eye glasses.

MembersZone Subscriber SIMP0LMAN's Avatar

we have the 1000s, then we got the defender up grade for them which we were told it fits and works in the 1000s, but we found out it doesnt work 100% the way it should, and we also found out that its not nfpa approved eye protection upgrade for the 1000s so the guys going through ff1 at the academy had to have goggles or a sheild on their helmet. we have also just recieved a few new 1010s with the defender, they are more comfortable and the defender is nice in them IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMP0LMAN View Post
    we have the 1000s, then we got the defender up grade for them which we were told it fits and works in the 1000s, but we found out it doesnt work 100% the way it should, and we also found out that its not nfpa approved eye protection upgrade for the 1000s so the guys going through ff1 at the academy had to have goggles or a sheild on their helmet. we have also just recieved a few new 1010s with the defender, they are more comfortable and the defender is nice in them IMO.
    Is that non-NFPA compliant for just the 1000?
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain

MembersZone Subscriber SIMP0LMAN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    Is that non-NFPA compliant for just the 1000?
    when i was in the academy i had the 1000 and it was an issue, another guy had the 1010 no problem. their explantion to me was that the 1000 with the defender upgrade wasnt nfpa approved, but the 1010 is. chief fixed the issue by handing me a pair of goggles- after he went through meetings with the academy and the cairns sales rep who sold us the upgrades only to stilll have the upgrade shot down because it had not been approved yet. i havent followed up nor heard anything new about it, so i dont know if anything has changed over the past year.

when i was in the academy i had the 1000 and it was an issue, another guy had the 1010 no problem. their explantion to me was that the 1000 with the defender upgrade wasnt nfpa approved, but the 1010 is. chief fixed the issue by handing me a pair of goggles- after he went through meetings with the academy and the cairns sales rep who sold us the upgrades only to stilll have the upgrade shot down because it had not been approved yet. i havent followed up nor heard anything new about it, so i dont know if anything has changed over the past year.
    that's what I was thinking. thanks

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And...........

In Addition to this thread, do a search on this subject also. We just beat this topic around a few months ago, some good discussion there.

For me, It's Goggles, no question. I don't like Bourkes, and "Flip Down" Shields are even worse....................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I would love a real solution to this. My pockets are already filled with tools, gloves, a rope and a spare flashlight. The glasses I know would just get destroyed in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    I would love a real solution to this. My pockets are already filled with tools, gloves, a rope and a spare flashlight. The glasses I know would just get destroyed in there.
    On our morning pride gear, we have a small pocket high up just inside the velcro flap. That's where I keep mine.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

You're partly correct.

Defender does not qualify as primary eye protection. Must have safety glasses (with side shields), goggles, or SCBA facepiece for primary.

BUT the Defender is much much better than a 4" shield or Bourkes. The other benefits as discussed above.

I wear standard wire frame glasses and Defender fits fine. I've seen other FF that the shield hits the frame while they are lower it but fits over the glasses when the Defender is down. Some big frames don't work at all.

I've always carried/used mil style birthcontrol/sport glass (safety glass) for FD anyhow. You're stylin'/profilin' frames aren't appropriate for fireground anyhow get some good face hugging sports glasses and bill the FD (get for you SCBA at the same time).

Forum Member

We use the Defender on our 1044s and so far no complaints. They are easy to deploy, and despite what many thought when they were introduced, no broken noses!

For the few that need to wear glasses, we simply bought the Defender and had goggles added. That way if their helmet were passed on to someone else, we can just remove the goggles and still have the Defender.

Thread Information