Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Transfering to WI

Hello all,

I am considering moving to WI and wondering if WI grants reciprocity to IL firefighter licenses? If any one can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

I'm not exactly sure on the details. My understanding of 'transfering' certifications is that WI standards are higher than most states, and that Illinois doesn't readily accept Wisconsin's certs if one of us 'cheeseheads' tries to land a job in Illinois, even thought according to what I heard, WI's standards are higher than Illinois. I'd check with some departments you might be interested in, and ask them. Good luck!
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Forum Member

actually i believe all you have to do is challenge the written FFII test for reciprocity to IL, maybe i'm wrong but I'm pretty sure thats the case.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Info right from the website: http://systemattic.wtcsystem.edu/fire/

Is Reciprocity awarded for out-of-state certification?

IFSAC and PRO-Board accredited certificates are awarded automatic reciprocity. Copies of your certificates (with legible certificate numbers) can be e-mailed, to Ms. Denise Perkins at denise.perkins@wtcsystem.edu or faxed to 608-266-1690 Attn: Fire Training, or mailed to the address listed above. Reciprocal certificates will be issued only to the highest level of certification documented and only for certifications we are currently awarding.

Can certification be issued if out-of-state certificates are not accredited?

Advanced standing may be granted if documentation is provided demonstrating training to the current standard for the certifications(s) being requested. This must be submitted to the local technical college fire coordinator or the WTCS Fire Education and Training Director. This may qualify an applicant for a one time reciprocity challenge of the written and practical exams for the certification(s) being requested. All reciprocity challenges must begin at the lowest pre-requisite level and testing must be successfully completed sequentially to the certification level requested. Contact Information for each college is located on this website: Technical College Fire Service Contacts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterox View Post
    Hello all,

I am considering moving to WI and wondering if WI grants reciprocity to IL firefighter licenses? If any one can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
    Fyred Up is also an instructor so i would trust his source on such info.
    WI now has FF1 and FF2, whereas I understand IL has a FF3 being more tech rescue driven, so I gues it would depend upon what certs you do have.

However, EMT is another issue, if applicable here. WI uses National Registry for licensure and IL doesn't. My friend is a paramedic for IL, but according to WI requirements, his medic would NOT transfer. On the flip, my medic would transfer to IL.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Default Wi certification

They also have basic. I retired from Illinois and nothing transferred. The tech college system let me callenge all the written terst, but then would have to take practical exams to become certified.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DKWeidler57 View Post
    They also have basic. I retired from Illinois and nothing transferred. The tech college system let me callenge all the written terst, but then would have to take practical exams to become certified.
    For the firefighter cert they let you challenge the written then do the practical parts?

I had looked into the EMS side and figured I would have to go back and get my NREMT-P license once i get my IL EMT-P license (should test for IL by end of year)

Thread Information