MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nero Looks Like a Genius

It is no wonder that very few people take our federal government seriously. The economy, the unemployment problem, the w3ars in Afghanistan and Iraq, threats in Iran, Honduras and North Korea and the like. But what important, life changing iossue is our federal legislation dealing with? (And yes, I know it is being run by a Republican).

Senate hearing on BCS gets under way today
    July 7, 2009

SALT LAKE CITY -- Is the Bowl Championship Series breaking anti-trust laws and keeping many colleges and universities away from money? Sen. Orrin Hatch believes so, and BCS officials are defending themselves in Senate hearings Tuesday.

Before heading into the Senate hearings, BCS officials are feeling good about their case.

Bill Hancock said, "We've been through hearings before in Congress, and the congressmen are always interested in the inner workings of things. We think it will go just fine."

He added, "When the BCS was set up 12 years ago, the people who set it up went to the attorneys and said, ‘Hey, we're not going to do this unless we can be assured that it's in compliance with all the laws of the country.'" But critics say the BCS shouldn't be over confident.

Deseret News Sports Columnist Dick Harmon said, "They had all the things they thought they needed to get a [murder] conviction of O.J. Simpson. But, in the end, when it got into a courtroom, when it got to a jury and when it got into the legal system, he was found innocent."

Harmon say schools like the University of Utah may have a good case in claiming they're an injured party within the current BCS system. Harmon says the BCS gives 80 percent of football revenue to 50 percent of colleges.

"Twenty percent, in their ‘fairness' view is being afforded and thrown toward the other 50 percent of the schools. How fair is that?" Harmon said.

Sen. Hatch recently told the Deseret News that the people who run the BCS are "pretty arrogant." He says he's hoping the Senate subcommittee will prove that the BCS is breaking anti-trust laws. He said he pushed for the hearing to show that "the BCS is fundamentally unfair." He says his biggest concern is that it "creates disadvantages for those conferences that don't receive automatic bids."

A better system than before?

Critics say you can't trust how the top teams are calculated. Harmon says games played by teams in conferences that get an automatic bowl bid are weighed more heavily than games from outside the system.

"Where this BCS is flawed is when they get from point A to point B in determining a number one and number two," he said.

The BCS contends more colleges are getting access to bowl games they never would have had access to before the system was created.

Hancock said, "We think the consumers, who are the bowls and the television people and the fans, benefit from having a chance to see the top two teams play in a bowl game."

He also said, "We certainly understand the disappointment with the Utes not being in the championship game, but we also have a lot of people who are saying, ‘Wow, the Utes got to play in the Sugar Bowl. They never would have without the BCS.'"

Bias from coaches?

The BCS says there is no bias in how it ranks teams by combining computer rankings with coaches' polls. Bill Hancock said, "I just don't know any reason why the coaches would be biased."

But Harmon says coaches will show bias to teams in their conference and to teams they consider good on paper. Plus, he says some of the polls may not be filled out by the actual coaches.

"They actually don't fill out that ballot," he said. " It's done by a sports information director or a publicist or an assistant or even a secretary."

A playoff system

The BCS says a playoff system may look good on paper, but once you start looking into how to implement it, playoffs lose their luster. Hancock says there are concerns over where the games would be played.

Harmon agreed there needs to be a way to predict who will play in some of the more famous bowl games to protect traditions that have been around as long as college football has.

Hatch says he hopes the hearing will provide a clearer picture of the BCS problem and hopes it will lead to the Justice Department investigating the system.

He says it's also possible the hearing will lead to more lawsuits.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow.

So many problems going on in this country, and we are screwing around with college football...

(Don't tell my wife I said that, she graduated from the University of Oklahoma )
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

While we are complaining about Government in general:

No air conditioning forces legislative offices to close at Oklahoma state Capitol

By Michael McNutt - Capitol Bureau
    Published: July 7, 2009

Both the House and Senate offices closed at noon today because the air-conditioning system at the state Capitol is not working.

The temperature in one House member's office was 83 degrees at 11:30 this morning.

Legislative assistants in the House and Senate were told to check tomorrow morning to see if the system is repaired. If it is, they will return to work.

A water pipe to the Capitol broke late yesterday, said Gerry Smedley, spokeswoman for the state Central Services Department. The Capitol uses a hybrid geothermal heat pump system to cool and heat it. Chilled water from wells and a cooling tower are pumped into the Capitol to cool offices.

"We really can't give a definite time frame right now about getting it repaired," Smedley said. "We're evaluating the damage to determine how much has to be repaired and how long it will take."

About 300 gallons is leaking into the ground every 10 minutes, she said.

"That's a lot of water," Smedley said.

The rotunda areas of the Capitol are not air conditioned. The Capitol, built during 1914-19, was not designed for a central heating and air-conditioning system.

Office workers appeared to be coping with the lack of air conditioning this morning. Some have fans running; most have doors open. It's hard for any air to get into the offices because windows are sealed shut.

Visitors to the Capitol shouldn't notice much difference because the rotunda areas are not air conditioned anyway. It's usually hot and steamy in the first- through fifth-floor rotunda area, where most visitors roam, during summer months.

The last significant break in air conditioning service at the Capitol occurred four years ago. A couple offices closed when temperatures in the offices exceeded 85 degrees.

Temperatures in the Capitol are tolerable, but as temperatures outside rise to a predicted high in the mid-90s, it will start heating up inside as well.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a joke
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

As former Speaker of the House Thomas "Tip" O'Neill said,"All politics is local".
    Here in Memphis,in 1991 we have elected our first black Mayor who has given his resignation twice.
    Last year,he announced that he would resign with the proviso that he be appointed to the School Superintendent position that he held prior to his election.
    The School Board said "No" sio he retracted his resignation.
    Two weeks ago he again tendered his resignation effective 11 July 2009 to enable him to run for the US House of Representative seat from Memphis.
    Even though some of us wanted to start dancing in the streets,he was able to move back the effective date to 30 July 2009 because he doesn't like the President Pro tem of the City Council who will fleet up and serve as Acting Mayor until a special election in October.
    Doesn't this guy sound like a 6 or 7 year old who keeps threatening to run away and join the circus?
    I wish WW Herenton would make good on his threat and quit teasing us like this.I've already heard a couple people on the local talk radio shows commenting on how they are trying to remember "Ballot box before bullet box".I don't know what's going to happen to them if it's taken as a threat but that's how they are feeling.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    It is no wonder that very few people take our federal government seriously. The economy, the unemployment problem, the w3ars in Afghanistan and Iraq, threats in Iran, Honduras and North Korea and the like. But what important, life changing iossue is our federal legislation dealing with? (And yes, I know it is being run by a Republican).
    How college football is played is none of the governments business. Just another attempt at taking away more of the freedoms this country used to enjoy!!! Wish we had some leadership at the top. Oh that's right, he is off touring the world trying to make believe government can control the weather Bush is looking better and better everyday!

Forum Member

Have you heard of "multi-tasking"?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 1990Retired View Post
    Yeah. When I am typing a report and answering the phone. Not when the legislature should be be dealing with a national economic crisis in a time of war.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1990Retired View Post
    YUP. Have you heard of sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong?

This is even dumber than the inquiry into steroid use in baseball.

Forum Member

I'm actually in favor of steroid use in professional sports.
    If I'm paying 100 bucks just to get a nosebleed seat,5 bucks for a watery beer and 4 bucks for a cold hot dog,I want to see treadmarks on the turf from a Deion Sanders hole shot.I want to see beards growing during the second quarter.I want to see a liver explode on the 50 yard line.
    I want to see how fast a human being can run and flesh still be on the bone.
    For as much money as we pay these people,I want to see high performance in the game that they are playing.

Thread Information