MembersZone Subscriber

Default Misplaced Media Priorities

All things considered, the media outlets are totally F**K** up

A day before New York Rep. Peter King called Michael Jackson a “pervert” unworthy of nonstop media coverage, the aunt of a U.S. soldier killed in Afghanistan on the same day Jackson died asked why her nephew's death went virtually unnoticed while the King of Pop got memorial shrines across the country.

"Mr. Jackson received days of wall-to-wall coverage in the media," Martha Gillis wrote to the Washington Post. "Where was the coverage of my nephew or the other soldiers who died that week?"

Click here for video on troops getting ready to deploy.

Gillis' nephew, Lt. Brian Bradshaw, 24, died in Kheyl, Afganistan, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle. Bradshaw, of Steilacoom, Wash., was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Airborne Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division in Fort Richardson, Alaska. He was one of at least 13 U.S. soldiers to die in Afghanistan since Jackson's death on June 25.

Bradshaw's mother, Mary, said she agreed with Gillis, saying the nonstop coverage of Jackson's death has become "totally ridiculous" and laughable.

"I can watch the news many nights and there's no mention of what's going on in Afghanistan or Iraq and there's boys dying over there," Bradshaw told FOXNews.com. "Oh God, I can't talk."

Gillis, of Springfield, Va., could not be reached for comment. In her letter to the Washington Post, she described Bradshaw as a "thoroughly decent person with a wry sense of humor" who loved history, particularly the Civil War.

"He had old-fashioned values and believed that military service was patriotic and that actions counted more than talk," Gillis wrote. "He wasn't much for talking, although he could communicate volumes with a raised eyebrow."

Bradshaw, who graduated from Pacific Lutheran University, was the product of a military family. His father, Paul, is a retired National Guard helicopter pilot, and his mother is a retired Army nurse. Bradshaw was buried Monday following a service at St. John's Bosco Church in Lakewood, Wash.

"He was a search-and-rescue volunteer, an altar boy, a camp counselor," Gillis' letter continued. "He carried the hopes and dreams of his parents willingly on his shoulders. What more than that did Michael Jackson do or represent that earned him memorial 'shrines,' while this soldier's death goes unheralded?"

Gillis said the only media outlets that covered Bradshaw's death were in his hometown of Steilacoom, Wash., and those where he was stationed before his deployment in March.

Gillis' sentiment echoes that of King, the Long Island, N.Y., congressman who called on society to stop "glorifying" Jackson in a YouTube video posted on Monday.

King said Jackson had been excessively praised in the days after his death while society ignored the efforts of teachers, police officers and veterans. In the two-minute video, King called the "day in and day out" coverage of Jackson's death "too politically correct."

"Let's knock out the psychobabble," he said in the video, which was taped outside an American Legion Hall in his district. "He was a pervert, a child molester; he was a pedophile. And to be giving this much coverage to him, day in and day out, what does it say about us as a country? I just think we're too politically correct."

King, who is among the possible Republican contenders to run against Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, acknowledged that Jackson "may have been a good singer" and "did some dancing," but he blasted the King of Pop as someone who could not be trusted around children.

"There's nothing good to say about this guy," King continued. "But the bottom line is, would you let your child or grandchild be in the same room as Michael Jackson?"

The deaths of seven U.S. soldiers killed in Afghanistan on Monday received just 1/20th of the network television news coverage devoted to Jackson, according to an analysis by the Media Research Center, a Virginia-based news analysis organization.

The seven deaths garnered less than one minute of coverage on ABC, CBS and NBC evening newscasts combined, including just 13 seconds on CBS, compared to more than 13 minutes of Jackson-related news. That's a 60-to-1 disparity, the analysis found.

“This is a prime example of why network television news audiences are disappearing before our eyes," Media Research Center President Brent Bozell said. "There is no justification for determining that the death of a celebrity over a week ago merits 20 times more news coverage than the tragic deaths of American soldiers in Afghanistan."

Forum Member

Pretty much says it all. Media is screwed up. Not to mention, the 1.6 million people who were trying to get their hands on memorial tickets.

Priorities are pretty backwards for alot of folks. IMHO. Pete

Forum Member

I can't stand it. I will never understand why people idolize Chester the Molester Jackson.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thats easy enough to answer. Dying soldiers dont get "Ratings" and they dont earn "Pulizter Prizes" either.

Forum Member

Couldn't agree more. The accused child molester did contribute a lot to the music industry, but to hear about it for a week and a half?? Way to much hype.

Another problem with the media, they are so concerned with being the "first to report" news, half the information is incorrect, incomplete, misspelled, no grammar and often reported by a fresh out-of-journalist school kid who doesn't have a clue.

This is another reason I think the swine flu was blown way out of proportion. Not to discount the severity of the flu, and yes, we need information to protect ourselves, but I think the media ran with this way to much without really having any facts and began the public fear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Abolutely.... turn them off, they are not worth our time.

Display our flag, fight to keep our rights that the Founders desired for us to uphold, defend the weak, take care of the hurting.

Turn them off and tell them why you've done it. Hurt em' in their pockets bc they pierce our hearts when they fail of telling about a man who took up a gun and unfortunately laid down his life and was eclipsed by one who took pills.

Shame shame shame...
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Banned

Reporting the events in Afghanistan makes the Chosen one look bad.

I feel like George Orwell was right in his book 1984, We are there

Forum Member

I cannot stand the american media
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Do you have the link for this story? I'd like to send it off to some people.

Forum Member

Michael Jackson died? Who knew.

I'm still mourning Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The blame can be at least partially placed on the media for covering the circus that was Michael Jackson. But there is enough blame to go around. IF people had simply stopped wanting to hear about Michael Jackson after it was clear he had issues with children and had turned himself into a plastic surgeons worst nightmare, the media frenzy would have died. The public feeds off the media and the media gives the public what it wants.

Frankly, I could have given 2 turds about the adult Michael Jackson. He was far too twisted of an individual for me to look past that at his musical talents. Give me Michael as a child singing with his brothers and that was magical.

I miss the true icons we have lost, Ed McMahon, Karl Malden, Farrah Fawcet and a shining star of the infomercial world, Billy Mays. All in their own way had a class and dignity that is what fame has always meant to me.

Forum Member

While I agree it's COMPLETE bull schitt......you have to remember. The media is there to deliver what the people want to see. Unfortunately, it is true...the vast majority of the population would rather hear about MJ than the "old, boring war". So, IMHO, it's not completely the media's fault, they're a business trying to stay in business. And for some reason (why this is the case, DON'T ASK ME) our society would rather hear about the death of a pervert than young boys dying in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Thread Information