Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CrossFit

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    Good stuff. The first time I tried Linda as Rx'd(BW 220), I threw up during the round of 5's. The lactic acid buildup is ridiculous. I think if you can storm through a 75% Rx weight Linda, you can pretty much handle anything the academy will throw at you. Matter of fact, you've motivated me. My next day off, I'm going to charge it, Rx, with a goal of sub 25 mins hopefully close to 20 mins.

Also worth mentioing is that I did a thruster experiment a couple of months ago. I was emphasising limit strength and also trying to move my #'s upward on the snatch and C&J. I decided to do rounds of thrusters following the day's PT to see how my conditioning would fare afterward. I would alternate 95# BB thrusters or 135# BB thrusters each training day. I started with 95# for 10 x 10 with one min rest bet. sets. 135 lb for 6 x 5 with 30 sec. rest each round.

After four weeks, the 95# sets were with 30 sec. rest for 10 x 10. The 135 lb sets were for 13 x 5.

There was definite transfer to my mile time, greater tolerance for KB/BB complexes, sprints, stepmill in gear. My conditioning was noticeably improved in many areas while making decent strength gains. Something to think about if time ever becomes a factor. Tabats are excellent, as well.

Sorry, I was on vacation and didn't post a reply. I just looked up Linda and WOW - it looks awesome. I am excited to see how I will do. 75% seems like a good place to start. I am going to request this WOD at the gym!

I like the thruster experiment you mention. Up to this point I have just performed the WOD's during class and I am finally hitting them Rx. Now that I am beginning to recover more quickly, I think incorporating certain strength moves would certainly benefit me.
    Last edited by gilday; 07-31-2009 at 10:50 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wolfalicious View Post
    I am currently a career ff in michigan and joined Hyperfit, an affiliate of crossfit about 4 months ago. I thought I was in shape before, but never to the degree i am now. I almost wear it as a badge of honor when the lazy asses I work with make fun of me for going because I know how much better it has made me. If you just join, don't worry about passing the cpat, try hitting a time very low, because with the training you should easily crush it.

Sounds good to me. At this point, with the current budget talks postponing testing, I will be in phenomenal shape due to CF by the time I finally get to the cpat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gilday View Post
    Sounds good to me. At this point, with the current budget talks postponing testing, I will be in phenomenal shape due to CF by the time I finally get to the cpat.
    hey gil, i just started crossfit recently. love it so far. do you do any extra cardio, or anything in addition to the WODs?

i missed yesterdays WOD so im gonna hit that up today. im finally not sore from the cindys anymore lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    hey gil, i just started crossfit recently. love it so far. do you do any extra cardio, or anything in addition to the WODs?

i missed yesterdays WOD so im gonna hit that up today. im finally not sore from the cindys anymore lol

Funny, I was sore or tight in some way for most of my first month. After 8 weeks I now seem suitably warmed up and don't feel the need to take an off day although sometimes my schedule interferes and requires me to.

Because I feel I now recover adequately from CF, I have added in some runs and even went to the regular gym yesterday to do some isolated movements. It felt good.

So, yes, I am going to continue to run more and mix in swimming as well. I am even looking into purchasing a road bike with the thought of competing in a sprint triathlon this fall which will then give me a timetable for working up my mileage on each.

Of course, all of this somehow gets squeezed around my wife and 8 mo. old, a full time career and studying for my first responder course and soon to be EMT course.

Have you added in extra workouts yet? If so, what is your experience so far?
    Last edited by gilday; 08-02-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Forum Member

Default CrossFit

CrossFit is BY FAR the best program for firefighters and aspiring candidates...everything else is a distant second...PERIOD!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post

Not Sore? Then get a few more rounds in next time.

Thread Information