Forum Member

Default Contacts/Glasses and air packs

Just wondering if anyone wears contacts and has had problems when wearing an air pack. Do they dry out ect? Heading off to the fire academy next week and just got contacts.

Also can you wear glasses with air packs? Wasn''t sure if they fit inside the mask.

Thanks

Forum Member

Been wearing contacts and SCBA masks, full face respirators for 30 years.
    I am proud to say NO PROBLEM!

Forum Member

I wear contacts, so far no problems.

Only problem I have with contacts related to work is when I wake up at 3am for a call and my contacts are dried out...pain in the arse!

Forum Member

In the academy I wore contacts all day. I never had a problem while wearing SCBA. After I got hired at my department, I tried wearing contacts for the whole shift, and it didn't work out very well. My set of eyeballs just won't take contacts for a full 24 hours, and it was even worse when I woke up in the middle of the night for a call. They were intolerably dry. Even the overnight approved contacts wouldn't work for me.
    So I resorted back to wearing glasses while on shift. I have an insert that secures inside the mask around the nosecup, and holds a set of lenses. You can view samples here. I also keep a hard plastic case in my bunker gear so I can place my glasses into it when I don the facepiece.

Good luck at the academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

You said that you just got contacts. If you are new to contacts, it's probably best to use glasses at the academy. Most of the time you should only wear them for a few hours at first to get used to them. I wouldn't want to mess with new contacts in addition to the dust and dirt that you might get into your eyes.

You can't wear regular glasses under the mask, so check into the insert that Nginear suggested.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Nginear View Post
    I have an insert that secures inside the mask around the nosecup, and holds a set of lenses. You can view samples here. I also keep a hard plastic case in my bunker gear so I can place my glasses into it when I don the facepiece.
    I do the same thing with no problems.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Never had a problem with contacts drying out with my mask on, just when I woke up and they were welded to my eyes ( very dry )

Just in case I always carry the small bottle of re-wetting drops in my gear. Sometimes the contacts just dry out. It happens.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

Thanks to everyone for your responses, very helpful. Today was the first day wearing contacts and I found that putting them on and off is not as easy as I had thought.

I took a look at the link Nginear provided, are they expensive? and I'm not sure what type of mask FSFC is using. Do you provide industrial vision corp with your glasses and they fit them in the holder?

Nginear, do you remember when we start using air packs, was hoping that by than I would be used to wearing them.

Eng34FF, "You can't wear regular glasses under the mask" is that do to regulations or they just don't fit, sorry for the stupid question.

Thanks gain for your guys help!!

MembersZone Subscriber

You can't wear regular glasses because they break the seal on your mask.

As far as the price I can't help you, my department bought them for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

I never had any problems with my contacts in school, though now I have those daily disposables and they dry out all the time. I seem to recall there being NFPA approved glasses (though they were ugly as hell.)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post

Eng34FF, "You can't wear regular glasses under the mask" is that do to regulations or they just don't fit, sorry for the stupid question.

Thanks gain for your guys help!!
    Lump beat me to it. The glasses break the seal of the mask. I believe it's an OSHA regulation regrading maintianing the seal, but I'm not sure.

I wore contacts under the mask for 3 years with no issues, but I had been wearing contacts for 15 years before that and knew what to expect.

Forum Member

Ok another kind of stupid question

Do you carry your solution on you when going on a call? Wasn't sure if going into a structure fire and having solution in my gear was safe, does the heat melt the small bottle?

Man these things take me for ever to get on!!!

Forum Member

I would not put the bottle in your gear because you will NOT take your mask off in IDLH, so its kind of pointless to bring it in. You will just have to deal with it when your on air.

Forum Member

Firemedic80,

The reason I asked was DFDMAXX had noted that he carried one, wasn't sure if he meant his duty gear or bunker gear.

Forum Member

FSFC uses Scotts and MSA airpacks. About 2/3rds of them are Scotts, so if you prefer MSA, you have to beat everyone else to them. As I remember, you don't start using the airpacks until the second week. You do have to raid an old set of glasses for its lenses to place into the inserts.
    As of a few years ago, the fire college did not issues students there own mask, you pick one off the rack everytime you go to use it...so you would have to place the inserts into the mask every time. Some inserts are easier to work with than others.

Forum Member

Nginear,

Thanks for the info, do they allow you to wear glasses in training? they never said anything about that during the PAT test when they talked to us after.

Any tips for me before I start Monday.

Forum Member

Default Contacts in SCBA

i've never had a problem with contacts drying out while wearing a SCBA myself. the only time they were even irritated was in a flashover training that got REALLY hot. you shouldn't have anything to worry about. while in training i would wear my contacts and bring solution and my glasses with me in a gear bag. this way i would have my glasses if needed, but never did. while on shift i usually wear my contact during the day and use my glasses at night, many of the other guys i work with do the same.

Thread Information