MembersZone Subscriber

Default Explorer Cadet fire school

Hello Folks,

I am wondering who of you went to the Explorer Cadet fire school at the IL Fire Service Institute.

If you went how well did you like it? What did you like the best? What would you like to change? I also welcome any other comments.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2426 View Post
    Hello Folks,

I am wondering who of you went to the Explorer Cadet fire school at the IL Fire Service Institute.

If you went how well did you like it? What did you like the best? What would you like to change? I also welcome any other comments.

Thanks
    I went down this year as an advisor for the 2nd year, and I must say it was much better than last year. First of all, it was very nice to come in and have companies pre-established, made the process much better. That being said, it kind of defeated (in my eyes) the purpose of IFSI. One of the things that myself and my explorers really enjoy about IFSI is that we can train with other posts, and learn even more methods. So, it was a bit disappointing when of our company of 12, ten of the kids were from the same post. I can certainty understand why people would like to keep posts together, but for my taste, I'd rather see no more than 3 or 4 kids from the same post in the same company. As far as the actual training went, I saw it as being much better than last year. There were more various evolutions for live fire, and my kids really liked the fact that (especially in that heat) they were able to just relax after each fire and not have to do another drill. Part of that is because my explorers and I have drilled on a lot of the things which those drills revolved around (webbing use on victims, Denver Drill, dropping a preconnect). Then at night, the leadership was by far the best part of the day. The kids were SO happy to actually see "good" fire...hell the basement job was even good for me! I put my top 3 officers in the Leadership and they all learned a ton both from the classroom and hands on portions. I went with the other kids to Auto Extrication the night of the classroom....and I regret that. The three came back with some great information that I (as an officer hopeful) would have loved to heard first hand.

I'd love to talk more about this, please feel free to PM me.

Thread Information