Default questions about firefighting after military service

i have a few questions. i want to be a firefighter more then anything else but i was also very interested in joining the military. i know that there are firefighting jobs in the military but all of the research that i have found has shown that military FFs mostly deal with airport firefighting and dont do much structeral firefighting is this true? i also met a guy thats currently in the navy and he said that the navy FFs that he knows practically do nothing but sit around. i also was wondering if a job in the military as a type of medic would help in getting a job as a FF after your military service. any answeres would be a great help thanks.

Forum Member

i want to be a firefighter more then anything else but i was also very interested in joining the military. i know that there are firefighting jobs in the military but all of the research that i have found has shown that military FFs mostly deal with airport firefighting and dont do much structeral firefighting is this true?

- if you want to join the military and do structural firefighting, your best best is the air force. keep in mind that you are primarily still an airport firefighter (unless your base doesn't have a flying mission) but you get structural, hazmat, arff, medical, etc etc experience.

i also met a guy thats currently in the navy and he said that the navy FFs that he knows practically do nothing but sit around.

- that is any dod fire department, alot of training and (as opposed to city/county depts) not much call volume. ramstein air base, germany had 8 stations and 3000 avg calls a year... mostly smells/bells, medicals, and inflights, then you get a small missle base with 250-300 avg calls a year.

i also was wondering if a job in the military as a type of medic would help in getting a job as a FF after your military service. any answeres would be a great help thanks.

- veteran points will help you get a job anywhere. alot of employers (especially paramilitary type organizations) love ex-military guys. all clinic level staff in the air force get NREMT-B which is, if course, a bonus. the air force has IDMTs which are kinda thier own version of paramedics and i think pararescue (special forces) do paramedic school.

good luck and dont hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions

Thread Information